Personality Cafe banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
When I was really little I would always hide in things...like behind curtains or in cabinets. Even with the smallest cabinet in the kitchen I would try to move things around so I could squeeze in there and just hang out. I probably started this as a toddler and I remember still doing it around the age of 5. My parents actually have a couple pictures of 2-year-old me sitting behind the curtains in the living room (just sitting there, not doing anything) and me just sitting in the dark of the cabinet. Did anyone else do this? I was wondering if it was a part of this personality or if I was just a really weird kid.

·
Registered
11,427 Posts
most little kids are deeply charmed by specifically them-sized spaces in the midst of the great big huge world, ime. so at least it's not weird.

i used to climb door frames. not when i was five, obviously. but once my legs were long enough to let me wedge in, i'd go up there with a book and just hang out, reading.

·
Registered
160 Posts
I did this as a child and still do this, actually! As a very young child I had a few 'cubbyholes' I'd go to sit in; under the cabinet, in the closet, behind the couch under the curtains. As I got older I began creating these places for myself; I made a hammock on my brother's bunk bed just for me that was small and more pouch-like, I made a tent in the closest out of a tarp, and when I was living outside the multiple times I had to during my life I got quite good at making tiny me-sized shelters under and in things.

I have a usual bedroom with my bed and everything in it as normal. However my closet doesn't have clothes in it; it has a little mini-cot behind a sheet I have draped over the clothes rack; covered in pillows and such. I never really grew out of the 'hide in tiny nooks' thing.

·
Registered
2,771 Posts
No, I didn't do that as a kid but I did have a thing for climbing trees despite my fear of heights and sleeping in small confines.

ETA: I misread the OP so my answer is yes, I did do that lol. Boxes were a thing too. I would collect crystals, feathers and oddly-shaped sour gummy worms to place them in ornate boxes. I still do something like that even now. Just yesterday I bought a round piece of rose quartz and will probably find some discarded box or pouch to put it in.

·
Registered
5,378 Posts
It's perfectly normal for INTJs to do cat-like things.
:kitteh:
I did the hidey ninja stealth thing too and I also liked to climb trees.

·
Registered
902 Posts
I used to have a big desk with bookshelves attached to it. I will climb under the desk, block the entrance with a chair, and just sit there. I will day-dream, read, doodle, etc. I remember the coziness of it to this day. And I remember the day when I realized I grew up and the space felt too small. It was disappointing, but it just wasn't the same.

Reactions: Judson Joist

·
Registered
3,053 Posts
When I was really little I would always hide in things...like behind curtains or in cabinets. Even with the smallest cabinet in the kitchen I would try to move things around so I could squeeze in there and just hang out. I probably started this as a toddler and I remember still doing it around the age of 5. My parents actually have a couple pictures of 2-year-old me sitting behind the curtains in the living room (just sitting there, not doing anything) and me just sitting in the dark of the cabinet. Did anyone else do this? I was wondering if it was a part of this personality or if I was just a really weird kid.
I can kinda relate. I used to hide all over the place so I could read my books in peace. I was a big bookworm when I was a kid :kitteh:.

·
Delphic Seer
18,076 Posts
Yes! That definitely sounds familiar. :kitteh: When I was a kid, I would hide for hours in dark spots where I couldn’t be seen but where I could observe what was going on without being bothered. Avoiding social interaction (family gatherings and the like) was a powerful driver of this attitude.

·
Registered
5,378 Posts
I can kinda relate. I used to hide all over the place so I could read my books in peace. I was a big bookworm when I was a kid :kitteh:.
Same here. I especially loved Golden Guides.
:proud:

While I was elementary school age in the '80s, my mom gave me a 1970s-issue Old Dominion marine biology textbook that I treasured. It was my favorite book aside from Peter Rabbit and The Velveteen Rabbit (I've always loved rabbits). One day, in maybe 2nd grade or so, at recess, I was reading it as per typical and a teacher took it away and made me play basketball with some other kids. Naturally, I was no good at it, so they resented my presence. Fortunately, I got that book back, but I don't recall what happened to it since then. Even back then, the anti-intellectual elements of our society were sprinting toward the precipice of Idiocracy.
:frustrating:
Not to imply that there's anything wrong with athletics. It's more that I'm implying that we should let the individual's aptitudes be what they are. Don't force the nerd to be a jock or vice-versa. Instead, embrace all forms of achievement. More power to those who are both nerd and jock. And let's not forget that those aren't the only two "factions." Anyway, George Washington was against factionalism, so I'd advise against thinking in those terms anyway. I'm sort of satirizing the whole concept. At any rate, let's avoid plunging into the abyss of Idiocracy. How did I get off on that tangent?
:bored:

Reactions: starscream430

·
Registered
246 Posts
Not an INTJ, but I too, liked dark places to hide away.

I remember when my mom got mad at me and chased me around the house to teach me a lesson with her fist. Well, I didn't want to get pounded, so I quickly hid in a dark empty closet. My mom found me and told me I wasn't allowed to come out and have lunch. I told her "Ok" and proceeded to stay there the entire day skipping both lunch and dinner. During that time, my mom came to me twice telling me to come out now and eat. The first time, she told me my punishment was over, and I could come out. In a bratty 4-year-old voice I yelled "NO!" and slammed the closet door on her. She got mad and told me to stay in there forever. An hour later, she came again and reasoned with me to come out. Again, I yelled "NO!" and slammed the closet door on her face. Then finally, on the third time, after dinner, she begged me to come out and eat something. She looked really pitiable, so I said nothing and came out.

So yeah. I didn't do this a lot, but whenever I wanted a place to think to myself, I'd find a nice dark and empty closet to be in. And occasionally sleep in too.

·
Registered
1,623 Posts
Yeah, I had this great mini cupboard in my bedroom that I'd hide in a lot. I also hid between my bed and the wall a lot. I was very much into climbing trees well into my 20s.

·
Registered
ENTJ; 8w7; Persian C
9,448 Posts
I was deeply fascinated by my attic. I wanted to move up there (&) live; even though there was nothing particularly interesting in that space, we never lived in that type of home. Just the dark space - up (&) hidden away from the rest of the family was enough for myself.

Not much of a "hider," in small spaces -- I preferred to isolate myself in a room, or specific area untouched by man. As for 'cabinents' & such, I was more fascinated by the contents/containers under the bathroom sink, than getting in there to hang around. A few times I locked my mother out of rooms to explore 'off limits' things, one of them being bathroom cabinents / underneath sink fixtures.

I also had a love/hate relationship with those wooden/plastic buttock(s) tail-bone crushers called "chairs,".

·
Plague Doctor
INTJ, 5w4, Ni-T type
6,039 Posts
hehe Awww, I think that's a kid thing, but yes, I did. I wonder, though, why I always did it with books, too. I have some pictures of myself in cabinets and hidey holes with books.

My kids like to build forts and we have an odd shaped closet under the stairs they like to get into.

Reactions: lilysocks
1 - 15 of 15 Posts