Personality Cafe banner

1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
1,763 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
1. I need to interact with people AND alone time. Sometimes I feel like I'm introvert and extrovert simultaneously. If I'm in the presence of "idea people" i get alot of energy, but everyone else who doesn't feed Fe actually DRAINs my energy. I also hear alot of ENTPs complain about social nuance and shit in RL that seems irrelevant to "the good stuff" in convos.

2. I was more nerdy as a child, although not completly. I was drawn to athletic and intellectual stuff with equal *humph*

3. I spent a lot of time observing the world, not just talking about them.

4. To this time I still need time to think my discoveries over to come up with new plans so I can explore territories I haven't seen before until i gained the knowledge from "mulling things over"

5. I need "thinking time" not just social time.

If you have any stories in childhood were you seeemed more itnroverted, plz share.

·
Registered
3,940 Posts
I can't really relate. As a kid I was never mistaken for an introvert. I got "Talks too much and disrupts her neighbors" on pretty much every report card. I would jump up on stage and sing. Randomly make friends with kids at the park. However, I am like you describe now as an adult. The change from extreme extrovert to borderline extrovert started in early college.

·
Registered
1,763 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I can't really relate. As a kid I was never mistaken for an introvert. I got "Talks too much and disrupts her neighbors" on pretty much every report card. I would jump up on stage and sing. Randomly make friends with kids at the park. However, I am like you describe now as an adult. The change from extreme extrovert to borderline extrovert started in early college.
I did those things to, but nobody piad much attention to me growing up. I acted up in class. Talking? Ehhh. Sorta. I just didn't pay attention.

I had a gang of friends during my childhood years at school, not a large circle, but a more introverted style where I would get energy from the same several people on a frequent basis

·
Banned
169 Posts
I was more INTPish as a child. I was raised in a very SJ culture so I think my Ne dom nature was subdued. I was also bullied as a child. As soon as I hit 12-13 however, my Ti came into play and I became loud, argumentative and disruptive in class. I really did not gaf.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
9,437 Posts
As a small child I was super extroverted, up until about middle school. Then I started getting bullied a lot and was really socially awkward so I was mistaken for an introvert up until I was about 19. Turning 21 was a big help, as was moving out, so I started hanging out in bars on a regular basis and moved into the city so it was easier to get out every day.

There's definitely never a day when I don't crave human interaction. But it often seems frustrating and counterproductive, because talking to most people drains me almost as much as being alone drains me. Most people are so boring and stupid. So I end up going out seeking social interaction, giving up after half an hour and just going back home to sulk. This is why bars are preferable, because it's often easier to get people to talk about interesting things and play on the interactions between multiple drunk people.

·
Registered
3,409 Posts
Super outgoing and exictable kid, to really awkward and depressed teenager who had his moments to very outgoing and social, but selective of the company I choose to keep now.

I mean, I need "me-time" too, but not to recharge, but to pursue some of my interests (music production, lifting weights, DJ'ing, learning shit).

·
Registered
1,763 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Super outgoing and exictable kid, to really awkward and depressed teenager who had his moments to very outgoing and social, but selective of the company I choose to keep now.

I mean, I need "me-time" too, but not to recharge, but to pursue some of my interests (music production, lifting weights, DJ'ing, learning shit).
There are some things that you do best alone. I was raised in huge SJ culture, so that explains some of my problems. My "Me time" involves pursuing intellectual interests and escaping the tedious aspects of day to day life that bore me.

Reactions: Geonerd

·
Registered
4,165 Posts
Yes, sometimes. I was/am pretty social but I didn't mind being alone either and I wouldn't usually go out of my way just to hangout with people. Extrovert percievers like us require external stimulation but that doesn't have to involve people.

Reactions: Kytaari

·
Registered
1,763 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Yes, sometimes. I was/am pretty social but I didn't mind being alone either and I wouldn't usually go out of my way just to hangout with people. Extrovert percievers like us require external stimulation but that doesn't have to involve people.
Exactly, sometimes activities are more energizing than certain people.

Reactions: Bugs

·
Registered
1,763 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
TBH, I've spending a lot of time with my family this Summer. My mom is ISFJ and my dad is ESTJ. I talk to them sometimes, but they're more industrious than scientific.

I find my friends more energizing than family members. Certain people energize me better than others. My attitude towards life is lax and my family is strict.

Probably explains this post a bit why I've been more seclusive these last few weeks. I've been exploring my introverted side, especially Ti where I categorize information. Don't get me wrong, I like "creating/finding" information more than organizing it, but organizing what I learn can be very fun too

·
Registered
353 Posts

Thats...pretty much me.

·
Registered
498 Posts
SNAP! I would get this a lot too. Teachers would call me hyperactive and talkative, but i think that was mainly to do with boredom. As i've gotten older i've withdrawn into my shell and prefer to be myself. I get annoyed when visitors arrive unannounced and i feel drained by social interaction. I tend to sit alone and towards the back or the edges of the lecture theatre. When i'm out in the real world im constantly scanning the environment. It's as if there's this overload of data all around me all bombarding me at the same time which can become quite overwhelming. Funnily enough, various college profs who i got to know told me that i come across as more extroverted. I'm sure i'm introverted but like you my childhood was that of an extravert

Reactions: Kytaari and Geonerd

·
Registered
1,763 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I'm getting more introverted with age I think

Reactions: Geonerd

·
Registered
3,409 Posts
There are some things that you do best alone. I was raised in huge SJ culture, so that explains some of my problems. My "Me time" involves pursuing intellectual interests and escaping the tedious aspects of day to day life that bore me.
Yeah I agree. I mean, at the end of the day, I do prefer the company of others over being alone. But being me, I have to recognize that it's necessary for myself to either stimulate myself intellectually, or work towards a goal of any type (improve my production skills, lift heavier weights, etc) -- I become depressed when I achieve goals. All of this goes hand in hand with my social time too, because the more I learn, the more I can discuss things with people that interest me as well. Or just not and have laughs!

I don't ever feel the need to "recharge". I also do no agree that what some Ne-doms call "recharging" from social activities is truly recharging. At the end of a very eventful evening of hanging out, banter or partying, I don't feel "drained" from the party. It's more that I get progressively more excited through-out the night. Like a centrifuge speeding up exponentially. And then the party suddenly stops, it's like someone unplugged the power. Social time with boring people doesn't drain me as much as just fucking irritate me. Like watching an episode of 'Big Bang Theory' or 'Friends' would.

Also, traditionall "relaxation" as it is described by most people; eyes closed and "enjoying" a bath; or lying in the grass by myself doing nothing, fucking terrifies me.

Reactions: Bugs and Kytaari

·
Registered
1,763 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Yeah I agree. I mean, at the end of the day, I do prefer the company of others over being alone. But being me, I have to recognize that it's necessary for myself to either stimulate myself intellectually, or work towards a goal of any type (improve my production skills, lift heavier weights, etc) -- I become depressed when I achieve goals. All of this goes hand in hand with my social time too, because the more I learn, the more I can discuss things with people that interest me as well. Or just not and have laughs!

I don't ever feel the need to "recharge". I also do no agree that what some Ne-doms call "recharging" from social activities is truly recharging. At the end of a very eventful evening of hanging out, banter or partying, I don't feel "drained" from the party. It's more that I get progressively more excited through-out the night. Like a centrifuge speeding up exponentially. And then the party suddenly stops, it's like someone unplugged the power. Social time with boring people doesn't drain me as much as just fucking irritate me. Like watching an episode of 'Big Bang Theory' or 'Friends' would.

Also, traditionall "relaxation" as it is described by most people; eyes closed and "enjoying" a bath; or lying in the grass by myself doing nothing, fucking terrifies.
My problem with society is I have a hard time explaining my ideas because I don't know for sure if people folllow me.

I'm an Ne subtype, and you come across to me as a thinking subtype. My mind is darting through 150 ideas and I have a hard time disengaging, so i feel annoyed when people slow me down when I talk.

Just thinking about things can be energizing in itself though sometimes, although I like physical movement as well as mental movement. I do a lot pacing and walking, because my body feels like it needs to keep up with the movements of my mind. Very agile mentally and physically.

Reactions: Derange At 170

·
Registered
4,165 Posts
The drain and recharge theories of socialization is mostly bullshit in my humble opinion. I find I am drained when using my lower functions for any period of time. For example too much Si or Fe because I have a lower threshold for those and engaging them comes at the expense of my higher functions. I find my Fe and Si are quite good , even better than some people with them as dominant functions, but unlike them I don't have a positive threshold for them and will buckle if forced in those modes for too long.

·
Registered
1,763 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
sorry about the video in the post. i have terrible internet connection that I'm using currnetly, hence errors

·
Registered
1,763 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
The drain and recharge theories of socialization is mostly bullshit in my humble opinion. I find I am drained when using my lower functions for any period of time. For example too much Si or Fe because I have a lower threshold for those and engaging them comes at the expense of my higher functions. I find my Fe and Si are quite good , even better than some people with them as dominant functions, but unlike them I don't have a positive threshold for them and will buckle if forced in those modes for too long.
I don't like using my Fe tbh. I get snarky when people expect me to "join in the effort" of any emotional scenarios, and I think insesent group moralizing is tedious.

Si drains me becuase I don't like paying attention to physical details. I'm still developing Ti in my maturity, so Fe and Si are still a long way off for me

That said, I can use Ne to energize with or without people, and I tend to go back and forth between "introver and extrovert" activities using the same lead function

·
Registered
3,409 Posts
My problem with society is I have a hard time explaining my ideas because I don't know for sure if people folllow me.

I'm an Ne subtype, and you come across to me as a thinking subtype. My mind is darting through 150 ideas and I have a hard time disengaging, so i feel annoyed when people slow me down when I talk.

Just thinking about things can be energizing in itself though sometimes, although I like physical movement as well as mental movement. I do a lot pacing and walking, because my body feels like it needs to keep up with the movements of my mind. Very agile mentally and physically.
I agree that I am a "thinking subtype". I value my Ti more than my Ne too. But at the same time, I'm also not an introverted extravert. I will be the most outgoing person in a room, usually, and enjoy showing off my wits.

I am not sure if this is true for all ENTPs, but I find the explanation of the "introverted extravert" doesn't fully encompass the intricacies of being an Ne-dom/Ti-aux.

I mean, through-out this whole thread I probably appear to be contradicting myself (to most people) even though I am not. Most likely because the available language for my relationship with the outside world isn't really that accurate.

I think it might just come down to standards and the impersonal subjective judgment of Ti. I don't have an opinion on "people", or animals, or trees, or the world. I like good people and don't like bad people (bluntly put). Good time with good people will be better than bad time with bad people. But good time with good ideas will trump bad time with bad people.

It's the way I can't say that I like tattoos; I don't like or dislike them. I like good tattoos and dislike bad ones.

I can easily Fe-dom all over people I care about. We don't even have to talk about intellectual shit. For example, when I have romantic feelings for someone I just LOVE taking care of them. Or not even romantic, just love the shit out of a friend. I'll be there and enjoy it. But a day of school, surrounded with idiots, will make me lose interest in using Fe completely (which I need to learn to balance out better, honestly).

My need for social interaction is unnoticed, but it's there. I can spend prolonged period of times all by myself and feel good about myself, but it takes me actually being around people I care about to recognize how badly I actually need it. But then, when I spend prolonged periods of time by myself again, the cycle starts over and I forget I like being around people. Meh.

Reactions: Bugs

·
Registered
3,409 Posts
Can we perhaps agree that despite the accuracy of Jungian theory, that even Jungian definitions or theories on introversion/extraversion, are far from accurate enoguh to give a complete or clear picture of human behavior? And there are still many factors we haven't understood?

I mean, in practice everyone knows that. Or should know that. But once a discussion on the functions or cognition starts, we tend to get bogged down by their limitations without actually acknowledging that. And I feel like the better I understand Jungian theory, the more I apply it and the more application I see it and the more value I see in it, the more I recognize just how far from the complete picture it is.

I don't believe there's anything we can't systematize accurately given enough understanding or enoguh capacity to understand. But at this point, our capacity to understand human behavior on a fully cognitive level just hasn't gotten to the point yet. Yes, Jungian theory is great. And even without delving into the functions and simply understanding the difference between introversion and extraversion (and the subjective and objectivite) and how they can affect people is incredibly valuable. But wow, are people ever just more than any function.

Or maybe I just suck at Jungian theory.

1 - 20 of 39 Posts