Personality Cafe banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I remember to have attended the school very regularly. Otherwise my mother would beat me up. My father would not. My mother was very much particular that I went to school regularly.

·
Registered
2,493 Posts
I was sort of cornered. My dad was a principle & my mom was a teacher. I did skip one day though in high school. My day started off so badly (long story) I just said "screw it" & spent the next 8 hours on my motorcycle. The next day the dean said if I do it again I'm suspended. Didn't make a fake note or anything, just said "I skipped". Veins popped out of his head. One of those high strung ex coaches. He hated guys that didn't wear buzzed off hair & say "Yes sir".

·
queen of glitter gnomes
10,502 Posts
Yes, I went to school everyday. There wasn't anywhere else to go. I wasn't really thrilled with it, however.

Reactions: VinnieBob

·
Registered
2 Posts
I played truant as much as possible. I still did well academically though.

·
Registered
3,947 Posts
I had 22 unexcused absences in my last semester of high school. But I never missed track practice or meets. I was already accepted to college and I just phoned it in the rest of the way. Before that, I was always there.

·
Registered
1,418 Posts
Who can remember that far back? Who wants to? I've always as near as I can remember attended everything regularly. I don't ever remember having issues with irregularity. I've always ate properly balanced diet, proper nutrition you know bowl of oatmeal for breakfast with dreid cranberries. That kind of thing and its always helped me to stay regular........ you know whatever makes a timely, healthy turd.:proud:

·
queen of glitter gnomes
10,502 Posts
There's nothing quite like a timely, healthy turd. And there's nothing like good nutrition. School was never this entertaining...

Who can remember that far back? Who wants to? I've always as near as I can remember attended everything regularly. I don't ever remember having issues with irregularity. I've always ate properly balanced diet, proper nutrition you know bowl of oatmeal for breakfast with dreid cranberries. That kind of thing and its always helped me to stay regular........ you know whatever makes a timely, healthy turd.:proud:

·
Registered
10 Posts
I don't think I ever missed school. I loved school, it was my only social outlet. I didn't interract much with schoolmates, I was very shy.
Learning could be an independent endeavor and I excelled in learning, I was also very athlectic so PE was a must.

·
Registered
2,101 Posts
I simply didn't want to miss school. I remember my mom letting me sleep late one morning with the intention of letting me have a day off; when I awakened I got dressed and went in late skipping breakfast. It wasn't a social thing - i was somewhat asocial - it was a "keeping up" thing for me. I took a lot of demanding electives and to miss any continuity would effect my test scores OR I would lack basic info I would need to be at my best

i wasn't really a "boomer" being born in 41, three or four years too early. I was part of the "Silent Generation" as named by Strauss & Howe

·
Banned
2,871 Posts
I have to ask you guys:

Do you ever think that school was somewhat of a waste when certain things you could teach yourself or is that something that arose as the school system possible degraded over time?

For example, I missed plenty of days of HS and finished with a 4.1. I missed them because I lived in a remote part of town where walking to get the bus was 1 hr down/up hills. I just taught myself because it seemed less inconvenient and would note test days.

·
Registered
10 Posts
I guess saying School was my social outlet was wrong. It was my social exposure. The learning came easy, it was the socializing that didn't come easy. Of course it didn't hurt that I was geeky, had extremely curly hair when everyone else was ironing there bneach blonde hair. I excelled in learning and athletics these were things I could do on my own Started out being a loner, and pretty much stayed that way. Thank God, I got over the shy part. Socializing comes eas to me now :)

·
Registered
10 Posts
Waste of Time

I wouldn't say it was a waste of time, I think school is what gave us all the first dose of our working life and life in general. It helped us to learn discipline, sturcture, abiding by rules. Social behavior, everything we need to excel in life. BTW you must be one smart character to have taken it own your own to learn your lessons, and very self motivated.

·
queen of glitter gnomes
10,502 Posts
Yes, I think that there were elements of school that were a waste for me. In fact, much of it was a waste because of my auditory processing disorder. I spent a lot of time being overstimulated and confused and feeling completely stupid. I feel that I did teach myself a lot just by being in the library and reading to my heart's content.
I was fortunate that my parents read to me every day and, by the time that I was four years old, I had managed to teach myself to read. If I hadn't known how to read before I started school, it is quite possible that I may have never learned.
I never missed school but I never felt as if I was benefiting from it, either.

I have to ask you guys:

Do you ever think that school was somewhat of a waste when certain things you could teach yourself or is that something that arose as the school system possible degraded over time?

For example, I missed plenty of days of HS and finished with a 4.1. I missed them because I lived in a remote part of town where walking to get the bus was 1 hr down/up hills. I just taught myself because it seemed less inconvenient and would note test days.

Reactions: FlightsOfFancy

·
Registered
39 Posts
Good question and this is my answer: At H.S. Graduation, I was called up on the stage to get the 4-Year Perfect Attendance Award. I was the only one! My step-parents were awfully strict about my attendance. If my mom heard a "sniffle/sneeze" or cough come out of me in the winter, I would have cold medicine going into me! There were definitely days that I didn't want to go, but with parents like that........IT WASN'T GOING TO HAPPEN!

·
Registered
186 Posts
I've always been a brilliant student, at University too :)

Reactions: Glenda Gnome Starr

·
Registered
3,530 Posts
I didn't mind learning but going to school every day was hard on me. I skipped a day once a month. I mostly went up to the roof of the building where we lived and day dreamed or read a non textbook book. It was my reprieve, an escape from daily grind. I still do the same today, calling in sick to stay home doing nothing but rest or read a book.

Reactions: Aqualung
1 - 20 of 30 Posts