Personality Cafe banner

Did you attend your high school graduation?

• Yes

Votes: 16 48.5%
  • No

Votes: 17 51.5%
1 - 20 of 41 Posts

·
Registered
43 Posts
Boring and long. A lot of people got emotional at the end. I didn't like anyone at my school so i was just glad it was over, not sad haha.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
451 Posts
My high-schools graduating class was nearly 800 people. I've really had no intention to buy a robe, wake up early to go to a rehearsal, wake up at all the day of the event, and wait for a couple of hours sitting with people I don't know for a slip of paper that isn't even a diploma.

·
Registered
6,772 Posts
The school called a month or so after graduation wanting to know if I picking up my diploma was too much of a bother. They were a bit pissy about it. I sent my kid brother down on his bike to grab it for me. It came in handy six months later when I argued that as a high school graduate I should be allowed to sit out 'What's a noun?' type classes in reform school and read a book instead. The staff didn't believe me until I produced the physical diploma. They hung it prominently in the window of the control cage as a means to incentivize the other kids to learn while I went off to a quiet corner to enjoy my perk.

·
Registered
8,254 Posts
I did. But I did not actively attend the rehearsal. I did not and still do not see the point of it. If anything, schools should make such things optional. I'm sure a majority of people would still go if not to see themselves on stage / hear their name being called. You know, just for the pride and vanity of it.

As if completing hell in sterile rooms with an average of thousands of people over the course of 12-13 years time is something to cheer about. I might cheer when the curriculum is actually improved for all types of students and their future occupations, actually pay teachers what they deserve, stop cutting tenure, and get rid of 'no child left behind'.

·
Registered
406 Posts
I was forced to attend since I had the social expectations of presenting a speech to the masses. Back in my high school days, I was in denial and acted much more like an INTJ than an INTP. It was only in college that I began embracing my true nature!

Reactions: Powershower

·
Registered
163 Posts
I went. It was boring and I felt the celebration was pointless, I was zoning out and judging which of the girls were the most attractive in my class instead of paying attention to what was happening. I also clapped like a robot when everyone else did. Too many people, I felt awkward. It made my family happy though.

Reactions: Flippy

·
Registered
1,253 Posts
My traditionalist mother made me. Not attending a graduation is basically tantamount to... god I actually can't think of anything severe enough to use as an analogy. How did I feel? I felt good, but I think I would have felt good not having gone either. I was just glad to be done. I do not want to attend my college graduation either, and I have good reason not to - I'm graduating in the winter and I have paid for almost all of it myself. But then, I have lived with my parents the entire time and they paid for some of it, so since they want me to go I might still just have to go.

·
Registered
167 Posts
No.
I went to a real hardcore party instead - a German metal festival, where I had a blast with friends, got the chance to interviewe many of my favourite bands and got totally smashed. Good times.

·
Registered
1,253 Posts
I was forced to attend since I had the social expectations of presenting a speech to the masses. Back in my high school days, I was in denial and acted much more like an INTJ than an INTP. It was only in college that I began embracing my true nature!
Were you one of the "torians" ? I always wondered what would happen if the top ranked kid refused to give a speech. I performed average in highschool, but I often thought about that. I would have refused to say anything just out of spite for having been forced through their system. As you can see I'm still bitter :p

Funny, I acted more like an enfp in highschool. Really bubbly and outgoing. The environment allowed great opportunity for it. Took a while to align more with who I really am though.

·
Registered
474 Posts
What a blithering waste of time it all is, everyone gets their 10 seconds of acknowledgement and magic paper knowledge plaque, all so that 5 hours later they can go home with their buddies and get wasted talking bout "The good ole days" before falling asleep on a couch.

I did not need a visual aid to help me clarify that High school is nothing but one big awkward ceremony. Go to a party instead, education really is a joke right now.

·
Registered
24 Posts
I went to my 9th grade graduation to make family members happy but ditched HS graduation. I didn't have any fun the first time around, but I never even entertained the idea the second time.

It's a long story, but my entire class ganged up on a teacher who dictated test questions and swapped them for pre-prepared questions instead. Not once, not twice — but three times! I was so disgusted, I stayed home "sick" each time. Even years later, remembering it fills me with seething rage. I don't think any of them deserved their diplomas and I don't want to ever be associated with those people, let alone be photographed together.

At least I know where those a-holes who become corrupt politicians and white-collar criminals come from. (I went to an elite school that has college admissions rate of ~99,999%.)

·
Registered
451 Posts
I might cheer when the curriculum is actually improved for all types of students and their future occupations, actually pay teachers what they deserve, stop cutting tenure, and get rid of 'no child left behind'.
It's a two part thing, teachers don't get paid more if they are good or less if they are bad. They get pay raises based on a yearly basis not on any merit. The pay system is worked out by bureaucracy. Tenure is a really foreign idea for a place where job security and compensation would be based on merit. In the current system there are a ton of teachers who do terribly but the schools can't fire them because the teachers unions wouldn't hear it. Job security is pretty much guaranteed. I went to one of the worst public high schools in Virginia and the only time a teacher was ever fired was because of some sexual scandal.

Of course it wasn't the worst solely based on how good or bad the teachers were, but there were a great deal of teachers who didn't give a crap and they were safe from all scrutiny regardless of the legitimacy of the arguments brought against them.
You will never see a teacher get paid what they are worth in the current system. This goes for whether they are good or bad.

·
Registered
451 Posts
And ruin the mystique of my "MIA" status in the alumni directory? I think not.
You could definitely go to a class reunion and make them stand in awe of your famed status on the INTP sub-forum of PersonalityCafe.com. But you're a classy guy so I imagine they will be left wondering for the rest of their collective lives.

·
Banned
5,168 Posts
You could definitely go to a class reunion and make them stand in awe of your famed status on the INTP sub-forum of PersonalityCafe.com. But you're a classy guy so I imagine they will be left wondering for the rest of their collective lives.
I didn't just burn bridges upon my exodus from high school, I went full-on scorched Earth and plowed the fields with salt. The only people I stay in touch with from my home town are my parents, and the only time I ever go back is to visit them for Christmas.

·
Registered
406 Posts
Were you one of the "torians" ? I always wondered what would happen if the top ranked kid refused to give a speech. I performed average in highschool, but I often thought about that. I would have refused to say anything just out of spite for having been forced through their system. As you can see I'm still bitter :p

Funny, I acted more like an enfp in highschool. Really bubbly and outgoing. The environment allowed great opportunity for it. Took a while to align more with who I really am though.
Yeah, I was one of those. At the time, I didn't really mind the speech and actually looked forward to it in a way. My high school was an extrovert's wonderland where introverts were deemed undesirable and flawed. So the speech was my way of making them hear me for a change and show them how wrong they were. Later, I would realize what a wasted breath it all was haha.

In my speech, I added in a few things that weren't in the pre-approved version and in the video of the graduation you can see them in the background trying to cut me short haha. If I had refused altogether, they probably would have just gotten the teacher's pet class president to speak in my place. Now I just block that whole high school experience out. My 10 year reunion is coming up this year and I have no desire to attend haha.

1 - 20 of 41 Posts