Personality Cafe banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
9,828 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I've never driven a car, but I was hit with the bicycle a few times... I'm still careful, but I got hit 3 times with a car.

The first time was someone opened her car door in front of me, and i've cycled against the door (with my foot). I couldn't avoid it, however, i just hit it slightly, and it wasn't really bad. I still have a scar of it on my right feet, but it wasn't painful ("but i lost a bit of skin").

The second time was when someone drove her car on a parking just in front of me and didn't saw she was driving on a bicycle path. It was raining very hard, and i couldn't brake, and i've felt from my bicycle and i did hit the car with my body, and my bicycle was broken, and her car had several hundreds of euros damage... since i flew against it (but luckily i did hit, and the car didn't hit me, but i think it was for the insurance, lol and only material damage, so who cares.

The third time was when I drove with my bicycle. It started to rain heavily. I just decided to cross an exit of a highway. I checked both sides, didn't saw anything, crossed over the street, and i got hit very hard by a car!!! Luckily, the car only did hit my rear tire (and i stayed right, but my tire was really broken). I don't know why i haven't seen that car, but some trees and a very sharp turn made it unclear for me to see what was coming (and i was also hurried because of the rain and i would be wet). And the driver of the car also didn't saw me because it was raining so heavily (suddenly) that he couldn't see me in the windows (clear) and he drove too fast (he admitted), and i didn't. I remember that I was cycling very hard, so i started really quickly (to be home sooner), but if didn't do that, i could have been hit with my entire body (with the car that drove 70/80 km/h), and i don't think that would have ended well. I was just so lucky. That was my worst accident (however again, very lucky, since i got nothing, only my bicycle got material damage), but I still can't believe why that happened... , and we we're both so shocked. The driver of the car probably said a thousand times sorry... . I've said that it was okay, and that he shouldn't worry about it. I wasn't angry or so...

All of those are a long time ago. (5 years ago) I don't have a bicycle anymore, since i'm tired of bicycles getting stolen (even when i lock them). And i think i'm a very bad bicycle driver in rain, lol. I just can't control them anymore... You can't brake, it's impossible.

Did you had accidents in the past?

Reactions: hellonearth

·
Registered
3,734 Posts
Not really. At least according to my own definition of accident.
I don't have a car license either. Maybe one day, who kows, but I prefer public transport.

I've only had two accidents in my life, and only one of them involves a car.

Accident 1 when I was six years old I was riding my bike in a mountain (vacationing with my uncle and aunt at their forest house). I was alone riding down hill and suddenly I realized I was going too fast, got scared, and hit the brakes. Ofc the bike stopped and I got catapulted over the handle-things and I rolled downhill, hurting myself with rocks and all sorts of things. I rolled and rolled and rolled. I had blood everywhere and went to the cabin. My uncle screamed when he saw my state and immediately tried to clean me up. I had opened the flesh in my cupid's bow area, my chest/future breasts, both knees, both hands, arms, elbows... there wasn't an inch of my body without blood.
After the basic cleanup, he took me to a doctor to the nearest town, which took 45 minutes by car.
I couldn't use one of my hands for a couple of months, and I had to rely on other people to open lids, stir my breakfast milk, and basic stuff you usually take for granted when you have healthy hands.
To this day, I still have half of the scars. The biggest are the ones in both my knees, and also the one on my cupid's bow/under my nose. People often stare at it, and most of them bluntly ask me "What happened to you there?" lol

Accident 2 I was in the back seat of my brother-in-law's car. My sister was driving and a friend was on the copilot. The car wasn't moving, we were waiting at a red light. Suddenly I felt (physically) and heard the back of the car being like... scrunched... is that even a word? All I can think of is scruuunchkkkkk. I got terrified and confused and we all turned around to see that a man had driven into us. I can't describe how shocking and scary the situation was, because obvsly nobody saw it coming, so we were very relaxed, only to suddenly fear for our lives in a nanosecond.

Reactions: Lakigigar

·
Registered
9,828 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Not really. At least according to my own definition of accident.
I don't have a car license either. Maybe one day, who kows, but I prefer public transport.

I've only had two accidents in my life, and only one of them involves a car.

Accident 1 when I was six years old I was riding my bike in a mountain (vacationing with my uncle and aunt at their forest house). I was alone riding down hill and suddenly I realized I was going too fast, got scared, and hit the brakes. Ofc the bike stopped and I got catapulted over the handle-things and I rolled downhill, hurting myself with rocks and all sorts of things. I rolled and rolled and rolled. I had blood everywhere and went to the cabin. My uncle screamed when he saw my state and immediately tried to clean me up. I had opened the flesh in my cupid's bow area, my chest/future breasts, both knees, both hands, arms, elbows... there wasn't an inch of my body without blood.
After the basic cleanup, he took me to a doctor to the nearest town, which took 45 minutes by car.
I couldn't use one of my hands for a couple of months, and I had to rely on other people to open lids, stir my breakfast milk, and basic stuff you usually take for granted when you have healthy hands.
To this day, I still have half of the scars. The biggest are the ones in both my knees, and also the one on my cupid's bow/under my nose. People often stare at it, and most of them bluntly ask me "What happened to you there?" lol

Accident 2 I was in the back seat of my brother-in-law's car. My sister was driving and a friend was on the copilot. The car wasn't moving, we were waiting at a red light. Suddenly I felt (physically) and heard the back of the car being like... scrunched... is that even a word? All I can think of is scruuunchkkkkk. I got terrified and confused and we all turned around to see that a man had driven into us. I can't describe how shocking and scary the situation was, because obvsly nobody saw it coming, so we were very relaxed, only to suddenly fear for our lives in a nanosecond.
wow that first accident, respect! You must be such a strong lady. I really feel for you.

Reactions: entheos

·
Registered
7,058 Posts
Three accidents.

1st: was driving straight down a neighborhood road, car backed out of a driveway at way too fast and t-boned me. The house cleverly had big shrubs that blocked the sightlines. Also, the driver had expired insurance. My car was fixed, never saw that car again.

2nd: working in Portland, at the end of the day I had to drop off our company's mail. Stop and go traffic and didn't know where the post office was by heart, so I was peering off and on at my GPS (an actual GPS device, my phone was not yet smart). Got into a minor fender bender when I was looking when the traffic stopped. No damage to either car, totally my fault.

3rd: rush hour; entering the freeway at speed in the pouring rain. Some psycho in a truck decided to hit the onramp at way-too-fast and skidded around, stopping everybody. I couldn't stop in time and bumped the motorcycle in front of me. No damage thank goodness. Thought the rider would be pissed at me but he was pissed at the psycho in the truck, which makes sense.

·
MOTM Dec 2011
8,651 Posts
I live where public transport is virtually non existent. In California, a car is a necessity for living life. You can’t work or go anywhere without one (everything is very spread out....it’s not walkable).

I’m not a great driver because I space out easily .... and I hate driving for the most part. The freedom is wonderful. You have your own space as you commute, can bring a lot of stuff with you without hurting your shoulder with a heavy bag, can blast your music and control the temperature... but the traffic is stressful. I often commute 45 min to an hour and it’s exhausting. You have to stay mentally alert as traffic can suddenly come to a dead stop and you must brake quickly (not stopping in time is what causes “fender benders”, probably the most common kind of accident). Being really mentally alert to physical stuff drains my brain.

Ive had several accidents as I’ve been driving almost two decades. I’ve been hit and hit others, and once I caused an accident without hitting anything myself. The worst was when I totaled my last car (if you don’t know, totaled means the car is deemed irreparable). But no one has ever been hurt in any of these incidences, happily.

I had other little accidents as a child that caused minor injury, but none involving vehicles.

·
Registered
9,828 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I don't think i would be a good driver either, since i wouldn't been able to stay mentally alert for such a long time as well. That's why i prefer public transport, and i don't like rush hours and the stress that goes together with driving a car.

Reactions: Goetterdaemmerung

·
Registered
5,378 Posts
Hit a deer while riding in my former roommate's van back in the late '90s. Hit a deer while driving my former roommate's van back in the late '90s. Got hit a by semi in 1999 when I was 19. Totaled my car, but my friend and I were unharmed. As for bikes, I once ramped a mountain bike off a rickety ramp and hurt myself moderately. Could have been a lot worse had I landed more "centered" instead of offset. No lasting damage, though. Most of my accidents that left scars were workplace-related. I have scars on both arms and hands (especially my right arm) and various fingers mostly from cut wounds. One time, I split the right side of my scalp open on the fork of a parked forklift. Took eight staples to the head without anesthetic and went right back to work within the hour. I have a reputation for being a klutz...but a tough klutz.
:tongue:
I have a scar under my left eyebrow that you can see in my current avatar due to the lighting which was unintentional. That happened when I was about two years old and I don't remember it. Had to be told about it by my mom. Tripped over my sock that was flopped over my foot and landed on a broken flower pot. My mom told me I cried because I dropped my ice cream cone, not because I cut myself.
:laughing:
As for driving in general, my driving record has been clean for over a decade. Guess I could be classified as a defensive driver. People tell me I have good reflexes, but beyond that, I respect the notion of "right of way" and I'm not a "me-firster." Textbook Melancholy consciousness of Lawful Good.
:happy:

·
Registered
5,486 Posts
I've been in way too may to count, starting when I was a kid. Assuming you're referring to road accidents. I've only been the cause of one however, that was just stupidity on my part and caused so little damage that even though I accepted full responsibility she declined to take my insurance info.

When I was in high school I was riding with a friend who was testing the idea of putting a v8 small block into a Monza and we ended up sliding into a ditch at about 80mph(135ish kph), no injuries but it broke the engine mounts and we had to wait like 5 hours for help. When I was in the Navy I was driving my beloved Renault Fuego Turbo to the airport to go home on leave for Xmas when I was rearended at a redlight by a sedan doing about 50mph. Destroyed my car and most of my cassettes, lost so many rare recordings, sad. Could've killed me but I saw it coming and put car in neutral and took my foot off the brake, so when he hit me I shot through the intersection over a curb and into some bushes, it's a miracle I didn't clip another car as I crossed traffic. The schmuck fled the scene but the cops caught him within the day.

Other transportation accidents are another story, had more of those than I like to think about.

·
Banned
1,488 Posts
My life is an accident all in itself.

More seriously, no, not really. But it could've happened; once my father was driving with only me in the car with him, he was drunk and angry and nearly killed us by hitting a wall. Same thing happened with my mother: she was angry and stressed and there was ice on the ground, the car didn't like it too much, we nearly crashed into a wall too.

·
Registered
3,947 Posts
Two car accidents, both resulting in TBIs.

The first one was spring break my freshman year of college. We were driving across the desert all night, 4 of us in my friend's car. I had been driving for 9 hours, everybody else was sleeping, and I fell asleep at the wheel. I awoke when we hit a metal stake on the side of the road, tried to correct and bring the car back onto the road, but there was snow on the ground. The car spun and went back onto the highway sideways at 60 mph. It rolled three times, coming to a stop on all four wheels. I was the only one injured and the car was totaled. I had a head injury and took 17 stitches in my head for a massive and very bloody laceration.

The second accident was not my fault. I was merging onto a highway with lots of traffic and had no room to merge, so I was slowing down waiting for an opening when a truck hit me from the rear. I don't remember anything for a month after that and have severe headaches to this day as a result of these two crashes.

I earned my emergency medical technician certification when I was 24 and within one year of earning that certification I was the first responder on three fatal accidents.

·
Registered
5,486 Posts
Is that actual footage from the accident you were involved with? That is horrifying. I imagine people's lives were lost.
It is and they were. The footage is from the flight deck plat lens cameras, we record everything on the deck for later study so when something like this happens we can learn why and how to prevent such things, or failing that how to respond more effectively.

In addition to the pilot a number of people were killed including one of my fellow ABF's, many were wounded a person that was just a few feet away had the front landing gear fall onto them which broke most of the bones on one side of their body. I was very lucky, many were less so. So yes, horrifying is a bit of an understatement.

·
Registered
2,177 Posts
Let's see... In accordance to my definition of accident...

First when i was a passenger in my colleague's car, we collided with a motorcycle. Of course we weren't harmed but the one in motorcycle had to be taken to the hospital. It was a long process because the motorcyclist used the incident to get money from my colleague.

Second one was more frightening for me. The mall where i was at was attacked by ex-military gunmen whose real intention was to rob the shops especially the jewelry shops and to take the innocent people as hostages / cover for their getaway. I, along with some people, were so blessed to have escaped as we were near an entrance (employees entrance) that was hidden. All gates and entrances were locked out and guarded by gunmen except that one as it's hidden. I was kinda covered with bruises (except for the face, i really thanked God) because it was already like a stampede going out as people are running and looking for themselves only. It was also due to one gunman following us and even attempted to shoot (well i heard a gun fired from a distance). It was really scary

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,118 Posts
"Did you ever get involved in an accident?"

*puts down the phone and switches off the advert*

1 - 17 of 17 Posts