Personality Cafe banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
MOTM Feb 2010
4,773 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
If you had an INTP father, or even a close male relative who was an INTP, what were their strengths? What were their weaknesses? How did they inspire you? How did they fail you?

·
Registered
2,064 Posts
Well, I BELIEVE my grandpa was an INTX, although I haven't tried to guess his type very in depth so I could be off. I would say he influenced me very much in that you don't always have to be in the middle of it all, it is often more useful to sit back and observe. I don't remember this but my mom says we used to sit in a room together and read for long periods of time. That was back when we lived in the same town, I don't see him often now, but that whole observing thing has always stuck with me. He also loved to mess with people, which I think I got that from him as well XD

For example if you call a German a kraut, it's like the n word but for Germans. He calls my grandma that sometimes and it cracks me up, although it is very inappropriate (my grandma is 100% german, they met when he was stationed in germany XD)

·
Registered
4,140 Posts
I infact have an Xntp father. logical and manipulability. He really was a talented man. He had various issues though. He expected everyone to be as intellectual as him which always made him annoyed by people and seem like he had anger issues. He also never cared much about anyone including his kids. To him everyone was just another person. He came from a mental family and really could of been worse. 90% of his family is in jail or a mental home. He always smiled for some reason. Even when he was angry or yelling. He always smirked. I never knew him very well to go into much detail but he was a odd man. As much as I hate him as a father I respected him as a person.

·
Registered
216 Posts
My father is a rather unhealthy INTP, pretty sure of the typing, but if I'm wrong please tell me.

He is a scientist and pretty bright in the science field, but has no real way to connect with people and is severely lacking in the empathy and feelings department, though he is a good bureaucrat and can put on a show. He is good at storing large quantities of information and recalling it quickly, as well as some scientific analysis and problem solving. He is very miserable because he expects everyone to be as smart as he is, and he is a constant critic of everything and everyone. He sees criticism as helpful to others, and while that may be true in moderation, constantly complaining about everything in a negative tone doesn't help anyone, especially when others don't understand why he does it and think he's just an ass.

He is very closed-minded and preaches his extremist political views without offering to debate. When someone says something he disagrees with, he doesn't even acknowledge it, or dismisses them as morons. In that way, he is rather stupid, illogical, and irrational. He has anger issues and a few times I've been waiting by the phone to call police. Always makes himself out to be a victim, blames everyone else for something that was obviously in no way their fault, then tries to make amends indirectly by overcompensating and being excessively nice afterward. Arrogant. Never makes himself vulnerable, never directly emotional except for anger, and always deflects.

I could go on, but I think those are the main points. I can't say I've been inspired; I've been a lot like him, to the point I was called "his daughter". I've worked hard to take his few redeeming traits (intelligence, criticism [in moderation], relative objectivity, skepticism, curiosity) and discard the rest. He obviously failed me very much; I don't mind admitting that I probably have daddy issues today because of him. I don't think I ever had a real father figure in my life that I actually wanted to be around, and that made me feel loved, etc., but maybe I'm just being like him and making myself out to be a victim. Though... he tries to make things better in his own, indirect, T-to-the-excess way. I just pity him now and hope to never become like him fully :/.

·
Registered
1,194 Posts
My Dad is an INTP, as per strengths he is THE most courageous person I have ever known. I don't want to go into specifics but he has been through a series of tremendous burdens one after another over the last few years, and his ability to bounce back and come on top is borderline magic. He may not show it through outward emotions but he is the most generous and loving father a son could have. Those are the strengths that are typically not synonymised with INTPs. He is a brilliant thinker and entrepeneur and his forsight into Macroeconomic events is uncanny. He predicted the economic crisis between 2008 to today with extreme precision and from 10 years earlier.

I think his weakness is he is a little bit of a show off and loves to share his achievements for far too long which drives me absolutely crazy. He has a difficult time being involved in conversation that does not interest him, and he will try switch the subject to which he can talk about; and will go on and on in great detail over the monetary policy and history or the plights of the federal reserve.

I think his strengths mentioned above should suffice in how he inspired me and his weaknesses are insufficient reasons to think he has failed, and why I love INTPs so much!

·
Registered
1,789 Posts
I have an INTP father-like figure. He is probably the person I most admire, because he is very wise, insightful, and understanding - and selfless in ways that are beyond me (because his Fe is probably VERY developed at age 65, and he is as giving as I would be if I were as financially stable as he is. Fucking Yalie). Genius, but humble. Drives a BMW motorcycle and a convertible Chrysler because he's so badass (also because he's living off his pension).

He was a Baby Boomer - grew up in the 60s in Georgia, played pranks on his roommates at Yale - had one of them smoke oregano and tricked him into thinking he was smoking weed; nerd-ed with his friends, had his share of failures and successes, and is now a happy, thrice-divorced old geezer. A lot of his anecdotal stories in class began with: "I remember Wife #3 used to lock the doors..."

He's a biology teacher, and he's not a teacher because he is intellectually limited or never went far enough; he's a teacher because he loves it. He relays information with inspiration, and unfortunately, not many youngins appreciate or even notice that kind of lecture. None of the teachers instruct the way he does at that school. He instills proliferation of thought, for those who bother to bear them. He is amused by ingenuity and vibrant character, and he profoundly appreciates the unknown. He's passionately curious, and admires other students who are, as well.

Bureaucracies are the bane of his existence. Vonnegut was one of his heroes. He poisons his lungs on a daily basis - and I quoted KV on him once - "a fire on one end and a fool at the other." His ability to reason often yields apparent incompetence when it comes to traditional teaching. This, along with his kindness, are one of his "weaknesses", although they don't get in the way of his life at all. He enjoys TEACHING and seeing kids REACT enthusiastically to what he says - which is how we began to bond, and I saw in him the kind of person I would like to be one day. He seems very happy and satisfied with where life has taken him - and he's still just like a kid!

He's a huge fan of science, and quite the nerd. Many of our conversations are transcendental existentialist dialogues wherein I inhale his wisdom and filter it to better my living conditions. We also joke about our decaying memories and the stupidity of the human people. I love his sense of humor; pretty quick-witted, sarcastic, exaggerating. He customarily serves coffee in his classroom because, "You kids are like zombies. Reminds me of my 7AM German course at Yale. I could barely speak ENGLISH in the morning, let alone German. So WAKE UP! HAVE SOME COFFEE!" (However, the administration decided it was illegal and not in the students' best interest to have caffeine in the morning, so they impeded him from further offering this service. Douchebags.)

He has (non-metastasized) cancer because of his RIDICULOUS SMOKING HABIT, THAT OLD BASTARD. But the point is, if I had a father, this is more or less the kind of relationship I'd idealize.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts