Personality Cafe banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Banned
4,265 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a couple of friends who may be ENTP; I asked them questions to type them myself and they came out as INTP. The NTP I believe, but the E/I I'm still unsure of. Do you ever get mistaken for an introvert, or sometimes live inside your own heads dispite being very outgoing?

One of them is a football player, another is a male cheerleader; I just can't see INTP's doing that sorta stuff. What do you think?

·
Registered
1,024 Posts
ENTP's are one of the most introverted extrovert types. We're second only to ENFP's. I think most of us have either gotten INTP on the test, or had moments where we felt INTP, or felt it fit us better.

To find out for sure, its best to compare and contrast the dominant functions rather than profile descriptions. ENTP is Ne, extroverted intuition, while INTP is Ti, introverted thinking. Ne is focused on the future and is able to generate new ideas by seeing patterns and connections in life. Ne deals a lot with abstract comments and thoughts. Ti takes a logic approach and will look at things and judge them based on how logical they are. They will tear down concepts and thoughts and break them into pieces and put them back together again following logical rules.

·
Registered
134 Posts
I've been wondering if I'm not an ENTP because though INTP seems to fit, I enjoy people way more than even my family members who are extroverts do. Also what WildWinds said kind of convinces me even more.

·
Registered
2,290 Posts
Yeah, it's well-established that we're a pretty introverted bunch, relatively speaking. I still struggle on the E/I scale, myself.

It's an NP thing -- our Ne is such an ambiguous function that it makes even extroverted users appear introverted. Ah, ah, ah...so confusing...

·
Registered
1,099 Posts
It's the same Ne trait that makes ENPs not take on stereotypical extraverted traits that make INPs have exaggerated introverted traits.
In what way? I've noticed INTJs seem to talk and socialize less then INTP.

And some ENTPs would never be mistaken for introverts.

·
Registered
1,151 Posts
In what way? I've noticed INTJs seem to talk and socialize less then INTP.

And some ENTPs would never be mistaken for introverts.
I was only speaking about ENTP in relation to INTP. As for the second part, certainly. It's still not uncommon, this thread as an example, for ENPs to feel as if they don't quite fit the stereotypes for extraverts. Though I'm more quick to blame poor quickie internet profiles than anything else.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Well, yes. I thought I was INTP when I first got into typology. I'm very shy and socially awkward, despite liking a lot being with people. Problem is that I'm also easily bored, so when things are not being exciting for a moment, I just want to go home.
When I was younger I had a rather extroverted attitude, but what I got was mostly 'stfu you're weird', so I think I might started using my Ti instead of Ne, and therefore acting more like an introverted.

But I agree that some ENTPs could just never look like an introverted.

·
Registered
1,099 Posts
I really don't like the way they measure extroversion with MBTI. There are several different ways to determine E or I, and even the official method of using functions is vague and indeterminate.

I prefer the Big5s system of only measuring extroversion and not using introversion. Instead of an E or I, people should just have a percent. So Agokcen would have 58NTP, or WildWinds would have 79NTP. Much more sensible and easy to understand.

·
Banned
8,597 Posts
Hm I'm not quite sure how to respond to this as I've known INTPs who're more into the party scene despite not being as outgoing as I am. I think using simplistic definitions of extroversion and introversion don't work well with NTPs as a lot of ENTPs learn to suppress their Ne for the sake of getting along with non-Ne types which would make them seem introverted. I'd agree with WildWinds that looking at which function is primary would be the best way to differentiate between the two.

·
Registered
1,099 Posts
I'd agree with WildWinds that looking at which function is primary would be the best way to differentiate between the two.
That doesn't work because there are other functions then Ne that would cause you to be an extrovert by behavior, or categorized as one by function, but still be NTP. Or you could be categorized as an extrovert by function, and an introvert by behavior or preference.

For example, Agokcen is Ti-Ne-Fe-Si.
My top four are: Ne=Te=Ti>Se
ENTP is supposed to be Ne>Ti>Fe>Si
INTP is supposed to be Ti>Ne>Si>Fe

·
Banned
8,597 Posts
That doesn't work because there are other functions then Ne that would cause you to be an extrovert by behavior, or categorized as one by function, but still be NTP.

For example, Agokcen is Ti-Ne-Fe-Si.
I'm Ne=Te=Ti>Se as my top 4.
ENTP is supposed to be Ne>Ti>Fe>Si
I honestly think it was a mistake trying to figure out type by testing one's cognitive functions as most of the tests are self-reported and subject to a distorted self-image or simply making mistakes in assessing one's own personality.

For instance, going by functional tests I'd be some kind of ENTPJ as my top 5 are Ne>Ti>Te>Se>Ni. It's not very helpful is it? In the the case where the functional order clearly doesn't make sense and isn't useful I think it's better to discard the test results and go with your gut. BTW, weren't you an INTP? When did you decide you were an ENTP?

·
Registered
1,024 Posts
I'm not sure that it's so much about introversion/extroversion as it is the function that you prefer, at least in this situation. There are other factors that can cause an individual to be introverted or extroverted; at least if we're going how MBTI does it, which I agree is not a full representation. If I'm having an introvert moment or day, then it doesn't mean I turn into an INTP for the day and start using my Ti, it just means I'm an ENTP that is preferring to avoid social interaction because I'm sick of people. I still prefer to use my Ne. I don't change my entire type or the function I prefer if I go into introvert mode, I just need some time to rewind away from everybody and I'd rather not deal with people or see people.

·
MOTM Jan 2010
2,988 Posts
From the time I discovered MBTI at age 16 til I started college at 18, I was convinced I was INTP. I even wrote my college application essay about it. Then I found out that I actually really like to socialize, and it was all ENTP from there. I've always lived in my head, but it took a while for me to realize that the world outside has so many great things to offer. I also used to have social phobias that I have since overcome.

I still test as INTP, though.

·
Registered
1,024 Posts
The MBTI tests that I've taken always gauge E/I by social interaction, how much an individual prefers being with people vs being alone, but thats not the only thing. Its also like how you think and entertain yourself, the type of information you focus on. Ne uses environmental stimuli to form connections and new ideas, Fe focuses on the feelings of other people and how they are affected by things, Se focuses on outward details that people see. They are all extrovert functions because information is processed externally and exchanged externally. Ne sees a ton of possibilities and can generate hundreds of ideas because they see how things connect in the environment. Introverted functions internalize information and deal with information like that. Fi doesn't project their feelings to the world like Fe does, its internalized. Ti deals with logic internally, why is this procedure done this way instead of, is this procedure the fastest and most efficient like Te.

Social preferences do have an effect on this and reflect it, but when used alone, it can be extremely confusing. Especially with Ne's. Like I said earlier, the world doesn't seem to like Ne, so we end up suppressing it, and this in turn affects our sociability. There comes a point when an Ne has had enough and need to be away from people and we don't even want to look at people or talk to people.

·
Registered
1,099 Posts
I honestly think it was a mistake trying to figure out type by testing one's cognitive functions as most of the tests are self-reported and subject to a distorted self-image or simply making mistakes in assessing one's own personality.
You determine your dominant function with self-assessment in the same way as the other functions.

For instance, going by functional tests I'd be some kind of ENTPJ as my top 5 are Ne>Ti>Te>Se>Ni. It's not very helpful is it?
That was my point. Your functions and mine are almost exactly the same.

The functions become worthless regardless of whether you have them correct or not. Because you'll be an ENTP even if your functions are shifted around and completely different. You could be an ENTP with Ne>Se>Fi>Ti with Fe and Si as your last two functions, or some other combination.

BTW, weren't you an INTP? When did you decide you were an ENTP?
About a week or two ago.

I was tricked by an INTJ succubus. I'm a low E. I don't really care whether it says INTP or ENTP because I fit some traits from both types. But I went with ENTP because my Ne is probably a little higher, and because of social reasons.

It would be better if the Big5 system and MBTI were combined. If you look at the pictures in signatures, you see that a person with 68% E will also have a little bar for I. But the questions for I are disregarded and you're just lumped in as an E. Under Big5, someone with 68% E and 32% I, would just be called something like 45% E, so that would give a better representation.

·
Banned
8,597 Posts
It would be better if the Big5 system and MBTI were combined. If you look at the pictures in signatures, you see that a person with 68% E will also have a little bar for I. But the questions for I are disregarded and you're just lumped in as an E. Under Big5, someone with 68% E and 32% I, would just be called something like 45% E, so that would give a better representation.
That's a pretty good idea as the Big5 dimensions seem to correlate very well with MBTI dimensions. Too bad echidna was banned as he had quite an extensive amount of data relating to the Big5 and personality types.

Reactions: bionic
1 - 19 of 19 Posts