Personality Cafe banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Banned
1,257 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Now that my undergraduate days are coming to a close, I've started doing the P90X fitness and nutritional program.

Two weeks in and my body feels great. But I still have days where I'm just like "bleech".

A friend of mine who also relates to being a type 6 ENFP mentioned that he has been taking St. John's Wart for maintaining a healthy frame of mind.

So far, I've found it to be an excellent mood stabilizer better than any SSRI.

Maybe I'm just insane, but I'm going to tackle my negative mindsets. I won't fall pray to them again!

Any of you guys have other suggesstions?

·
Registered
916 Posts
I tried St. Johns Wart this last fall/winter. I felt like it made me more anxious. I've heard of a few like Sam-E, Ginko Biloba, Lavender, Saffron, Valerian, tryptophan, kava kava. There are so many. You pretty much have to get an herb book. And try to figure out if your anxious, depressed, have mood swings, etc. And get to the root of it. You can even take herbs in combination with medications. They have books for that. It's pretty interesting.

The thing about herbs is it's timely. They aren't always very strong so you have to be patient with the results. Also, certain herbs and vitamin combinations are helpful. Like certain vitamins help absorb them. Like a lot of people who have depression are told to take vitamin B. But then you find out the real problem is their body has problem absorbing the vitamin B. And you can take all the vitamin B you want and not absorb it. So, you got to figure out what absorbs it.

The best thing you can do is to go to a naturopathic doctor. And your insurance probably won't cover it. But for 200 bucks you can get quite a breakdown of your health in their initial appointment. Which includes some great tests. Like your chemical levels, and the vitamins and such you need more of. And allergy tests. And blood sugar. Ect. Blood pressure is important to know to and monitor. Cuz if the herb raises blood pressure, it's probably not the best for someone with high blood pressure. And I forget all of it. But it includes a lot and is a great start. From there you can do a long term allergy test. Like there are certain allergies you have you can find out you have by eliminating the food and adding it back in and noticing that that's what causes certain issues.

I would love to take the time and do that for myself. It can really add up out of pocket though. And thank the good ol' FDA for not approving any of the herbs or vitamins, so it's not covered by insurance. I take aderall these days. It's a stimulant and I heard all about sixes not benefiting from stimulants but they calm me down. I was always reaching for coffee and these really bad for you energy drinks. And I pay more for the timed-release so it's very level and you don't crash. They make it into all these little beads and it absorbs through out the day.

Also, the part of the herb plant is important. Sometimes a certain herb costs more because it's a better part of the plant. And so on. Also, look at the brand name and compare it to the off brand stuff and you can find a major deal. Look at the amount, whats in it, where it comes from. I did this for joint stuff. Which is like 50 bucks a month for the name brand. And 20 bucks for 6 months for the off brand. So, do your homework. Herbs saved my mom's life when she had Cancer. They really are that powerful.

·
Registered
139 Posts
I'm taking tryptophan and tyrosine at the moment, and I've taken St. John's Wort and 5-HTP in the past.

St. John's Wort did nada for me. I think my anxiety beat the crap out of it, hehe.

L-Tryptophan and 5-HTP are both precursors to serotonin; if you're deficient in serotonin for dietary reasons, taking either can be a big help. You habituate to 5-HTP more easily, so you're better off trying the L-Tryptophan if you're curious. 5-HTP is a bit more obviously effective, but also causes massive nausea if you take more than a couple hundred milligrams. Both have a mild positive mood-enhancing effect, you may or may not find them more powerful than St. John's Wort. L-Tryptophan has the added advantage of encouraging lucid dreaming :crazy:

I wouldn't recommend L-Tyrosine necessarily. It's a dopamine precursor, so if you have trouble with motivation (and especially if you're a vegetarian), you might find it helpful. I've been taking it regularly for about a week and a half, and it's been giving me a little bit more anxiety than what I usually experience.

Totally agreed with @Ethel123 , though; talk to a naturopathic doctor, the last thing you want is to give yourself a stroke, and they'll know which herbs can put you at risk, as well as make you aware of possible drug interactions, like St. John's Wort with birth control hormones. At the very least, you can use one of those free blood pressure devices many pharmacies have and figure out what your baseline blood pressure is before you start taking anything new.

·
Banned
13,780 Posts
Proper sleep.
Keep room tidy.
Eat well.
Daily dose of sunshine.
Take vitamins
Accomplish goals and find meaning.
Find someone to share life with.
Don't get bored.
At least 3x sex (love) a week.
Exercise.

I mainly survive through these. Atm it isn't going so good (because I haven't been keeping to this), but if I do keep to it, then life feels gr8.

To me as long as I have food, shelter and I'm alive...life is ok and full of possibilities.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts