Personality Cafe banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Differences between ISTP and INTP

I've taken the test, I come out INTP most of time. I don't feel I relate to the descriptions on the type, a good friend of mine says ISTP fits me really well. So what I was wondering is how would a INTP act compared to how a ISTP would act? Thanks.

·
Over 300 Confirmed Kills
10,604 Posts
ISTP can still be creative due to the perceiving function but doesn't enjoy theoretical thinking the way an INTP does, An ISTP wants a plan to put into action.

An INTP can be extremely introverted but may have an easier time making small talk than an ISTP or may enjoy it more.

An ISTP enjoys physical activity and engaging with the outside world (even if through solitary activities) whereas INTP is more cerebral and content spending a lot of time in their own mind.*

*These are all mere observations and conclusions I've drawn from that I've read, nothing I'm saying here is concrete and I am not nearly as well informed about any of this as many people on this site.

·
MOTM August 2012
3,467 Posts
ISTPs are just typically more grounded and less ideational. That can manifest itself in physical activities and the like, but it might not. The ISTP stereotype is Clint Eastwood (who I'm think is more of a Kiersey-esque ISTP and not a Jungian/JCF ISTP, I'm not convinced he's a Ti-dom).

But Tom Cruise plays a lot of ISTP-like characters in his movies (Ethan Hunt in Mission: Impossible for example), where the stereotype of INTP is much more like the IT guy. But the biggest difference typologically is ISTP will be much more focused on the here and now.

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Hey Marckos!!! Thank for the video! Starting to think I don't relate to either of them, besides the introvorted thinking. I'm not really nerdy or jock like. Maybe I'm not too developed. From what I got I wouldn't be extroverted feeling.

·
MOTM August 2012
3,467 Posts
I don't know that I've ever met a jock-like ISTP personally. Most of the ones I know are far from it. Graphic designers, film directors, musicians, artists, rock-climbers, sailers, sculptors, architects, etc. You gotta stop paying attention to the stereotypes and just look at which functions you identify with. ISTPs (and all Ti-dominants) are Introverted Thinking types meaning that their default perspective is their own understanding of a concept (doesn't have to make sense to the outside world just has to make sense to them). As such then, they reject the evaluations of the outside world (extraverted Feeling) in favor of their own conceptual coherence. This is what gives them, in many cases, their somewhat cold and aloof demeanor (or hypersensitivity to criticism). Really has nothing to do with a jock or nerd or anything like that (those are typically disparaging labels applied by envious people who are neither intelligent or athletic).

So ISTP will have the preferences of
Introverted Thinking (Captain of the ship)
Extraverted Sensation (seeing the world as it is - First Mate)
Introverted Intuition (gut-feelings - troublemaking function at times)
Extraverted Feeling (externally centered evaluation -- mutinous crewmember)

INTP's function stack is
Introverted Thinking
Extraverted Intuition (gut-feeling about possibilities)
Introverted Sensation (how you see something takes precedent over what is actually there)
Extraverted Feeling (still being kicked off the boat)

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter #7 (Edited)
I apologize for labeling Liquidlight, I didn't mean nerd or jock as bad thing. I just meant nerd as somone who is very bright and intelligent, does well in school. And Jock as someone who has athletic and enjoys sports. I'm not envious, I just never been into sports. I've never considered myself smart, as in some of the people at my school who get things right away, I usually have to work on it a little more than they would have to. Which I don't see as necessarily a bad thing, people have strengths in different area. It's just not where I'm interested. ISTP seemed like they would be natural athletes, so I just figured I didn't fit with that. INTP seem like they would be intelligent, still didn't fit. Was trying to make it simplier, haha.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts