Personality Cafe banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
328 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Yea, I'd be interested in where Fi-9s differ from Fe-9s, simply put. :proud: The Timeless articles barely go into any Detail f.e.

·
Registered
4,095 Posts
I think Fe 9s are more attentive in conversation (being responsive/ energetic), while Fi 9s can get extremely quiet and passive around others, not really contributing to conversation. But Fe 9s would struggle more with knowing their own feelings, while Fi 9s don't seem to have much trouble with this.

·
Registered
INFP
1,191 Posts
I'm not sure how much I can speak for Fe 9s since I'm not one, but my experience as both an INFP and a 9 is just a constant push-and-pull. The Fi part of myself is what motivates me, what urges me to want to act, but I find that the 9 part of me is what keeps me holding myself back. The idea of change often makes me immensely uncomfortable, and I don't want to put myself out there to possibly face rejection. Unfortunately, it's much more comfortable to just lie down, keep the world at a distance, and don't let it in than to risk it all, I guess.

Of course, I wouldn't say I'm a healthy version of 9 at all, so I imagine that the combination of Fi and 9 in someone who's achieved the highest health levels would look quite a bit different. Calm but powerful. Strong sense of morality but a peaceful, welcoming demeanor. Sensitive but strong. Diplomatic but alive to him/herself.

·
Registered
139 Posts
Good question. Fi 9's care more about internal harmony. Fe 9's care more about external harmony. Fe 9's like ixfj's will merge with other people, into the external world. Like Charlie Elliot said, they will merge with you while you're talking to them. Fi 9's like ixfp's merge more with their internal worlds, which creates an absent-minded quality in the present world.

Case in point, I'm a 9w1 infp. I have a solid sense of identity. I don't have a hard time knowing my wants, desires or values. But I merge into my comfort zones via si. I struggle with being hedonistic and living in my comfortable inner world, but I don't struggle with identity issues or a lack of boundaries.

The 9's that struggle with identity and having personal desires are your fe 9's. They don't always know what they want but they actively assist others in reaching their goals.

The 9's that struggle with hardcore laziness and apathy are your fi 9's. They tend to know what they want, but they're passive as hell in getting it.

·
Registered
5,248 Posts
ISFJ husband is a 9w1. I think as a Fe-aux 9, he uses Fe to set strong personal boundaries that create/protect calm. He makes it clear where others stand with him. He can be quite animated and engaging socially, but also needs substantial alone time. He removes himself from external disharmony more often than trying to change it. He is not always strong with identifying and vocalizing his feelings. He doesn't really seem to merge much with others; he's sx-last. He seems to merge more with interests and activities, especially music. He likes both routine and independence - he likes being the captain of his ship - but is not very interested in controlling his environment. He just wants to be able to do what he wants to do when he wants to do it. He is generally disinterested in determining that for others.

My cousin in contrast - I believe she's an ESFP 9w8. She's very casual, happy-go-lucky, but also can be a loud and surprisingly commanding force at times. She has to have sx higher in her stack, maybe even first, sx/soc. She is very much the peacemaker. She wears her heart on her sleeve more, and is more open to being offensive - even though she prefers everyone to get along. In contrast with my ISFJ 9, she generally doesn't lay down boundaries until someone goes too far - then she makes them very clear. She seems to have a very clear picture of what she feels. She seems to merge more with others, but also merges more strongly with interests and activities. She's a bit of a thrill-seeker. She is more "wide open" but her energy fluctuates more than my ISFJ's. His is very steady. Hers varies widely with her engagement in a topic/activity.

·
Registered
INFP // 9 sp
1,267 Posts
I'm an Fe 9, but my Fe is inferior. xD I guess what people say about Fe still applies, but I think I'm less likely to appear energetic and engaged in social situations...I might put more effort in for strangers and stuff though... idk. Maybe I'm more expressive than I think, but I wouldn't know unless someone told me. I do have trouble knowing what I want, what I think, what I feel...uh...I rarely ever talk about my feelings, tending to assume that they aren't as valid as other people's feelings...because I felt invalidated in the past, and I already had low self-esteem, so now I am plagued by self-doubt. >_> Lol!

·
Registered
347 Posts
I'm INFP and honestly I value both inner and external harmony in the environment. Both need to be harmonious. But I'm also a highly sensitive person so I am fast to set boundaries. I'm also an empath if you guys believe in that kind of stuff. I get anxiety sometimes because if I sponge too much disharmony in the environment I will feel it in my body anyways, disrupting the inner peace. I can't just shake it off or ignore it like most people. If I can't get away I'll put on headphones and listen to music that triggers an ASMR response in my brain, or listen to binaural beats. Or I'll sit and start meditating lol (and make it obvious, people won't disrupt me when they see it).

I'm guessing the Fe user would try to make more harmony in the environment though? I would probably sit and listen quietly if someone was upset until they felt better. But I wouldn't be imposing on the environment, more like I'm not even there.

My living room and bedroom are basically the places that need to be harmonious (they're both combined together so I consider them both the same room, since the bedroom has no door). I do my best to keep my living space peaceful. I'm big on Ki and Feng Shui. I can't say I care about the rest of the house. I don't use it much. That and my mother likes to store crap in my house because she never has enough space for what she has. I honestly don't mind though because I mainly stay in the living room and bedroom. The guest bedroom is pretty chill too. I dislike people randomly showing up because sometimes they bring negative energy in to the house, and then I have to do an energy clearing after. I ask people schedule a time to come over, but it doesn't always work out that way.

My Yoga/Reiki teacher says my aura is a pure white, similar to fresh untouched snow. I'm like WELL I AVOID A LOT.

I don't know what kind of 9 I am, I made a thread elsewhere on this site if people could help me figure out what type of 9 I am.

·
Registered
9 Posts
ISFJ husband is a 9w1. I think as a Fe-aux 9, he uses Fe to set strong personal boundaries that create/protect calm. He makes it clear where others stand with him. He can be quite animated and engaging socially, but also needs substantial alone time. He removes himself from external disharmony more often than trying to change it. He is not always strong with identifying and vocalizing his feelings. He doesn't really seem to merge much with others; he's sx-last. He seems to merge more with interests and activities, especially music. He likes both routine and independence - he likes being the captain of his ship - but is not very interested in controlling his environment. He just wants to be able to do what he wants to do when he wants to do it. He is generally disinterested in determining that for others.

My cousin in contrast - I believe she's an ESFP 9w8. She's very casual, happy-go-lucky, but also can be a loud and surprisingly commanding force at times. She has to have sx higher in her stack, maybe even first, sx/soc. She is very much the peacemaker. She wears her heart on her sleeve more, and is more open to being offensive - even though she prefers everyone to get along. In contrast with my ISFJ 9, she generally doesn't lay down boundaries until someone goes too far - then she makes them very clear. She seems to have a very clear picture of what she feels. She seems to merge more with others, but also merges more strongly with interests and activities. She's a bit of a thrill-seeker. She is more "wide open" but her energy fluctuates more than my ISFJ's. His is very steady. Hers varies widely with her engagement in a topic/activity.
I am an ENFP 9w8 and I related strongly with the second paragraph. I wonder if having Fi and Te in our cognitive stack makes our w8 heavier. Due to my Fi I can easily discern what I DON'T want and rise my voice accordingly. My Te would represent the bluntness of my w8.

·
Registered
9 Posts
I'll be quoting someone from another post

"You definitely feel the Fi once you get to know them, but it's weird. Their focus on "the other" that is the target of "merging" tends to be mostly about "what actually interests ME and is important to ME about the other." It makes for a strange combination of seeming to be very social and interested in others while not actually feeling "accessible" from the perspective of the other. There is almost a kind of an exhibitionistic quality about it.

I don't think they'll say "I don't have a sense of self" rather they just will only express themselves via talking about their interactions with other people. But that would also vary by health level... most of the INFP 9w1s I've known have been somewhat unhealthy."

The first paragraph is exactly how I am. I will try to merge with you but I will merge with you with the things I am interested about in you which is the reason why I am so good at leading a conversation and subtly changing topics. I might not be talking much but I have you, this sounds really bad, dancing in the palm of my hand with all my questions. I would love to be able to express myself as much as the other person though.

Regarding the second paragraph, I do not have a true "sense of self". I am conscious of my actions, how they affect others but I can hardly identify things in my life that are important enough as to share them with those dear to me. For example, recently I purchased a car and I wasn't telling anyone. Some of my close friends got mad at me for not telling them that I purchased it. Those things are hard for me to tag them as important and share them with someone. "Is this important enough as to talk it with with someone?"

·
Registered
844 Posts
I'm not a 9 but I know an INFP type 9 Sp/Sx and INTJ type 9 Sp/So.

The INFP 9 Sp/Sx is calm and distant and doesn't really "merge" with people. He "merges" with his interests and environment... not with people. He's passionate in what he likes/dislikes, his hobbies and interests varies and he approaches life with a gentle and calm optimism and enthusiasm. The influence of his secondary Sx and Fi gives him an emotional layer and depth, something he prefers to keep hidden from people.

The INTJ 9 Sp/So appears more cold and introverted compared to the INFP. He's a quiet observer of his environment and doesn't really "merge" with people either. He merges with his environment and physical activities. He likes solo activities. He once took a few years off to travel all over Southeast Asia. He likes to visit art galleries alone and his physical activities include swimming. He's "grounded" and detached, more sluggish and heavy.

·
Registered
88 Posts
My mom is an INFP 9 and I am a (likely) INFJ 9.

My mom has a pretty clear awareness of her feelings, while I do not. When something happens, she is able to pinpoint how that makes her feel, if she likes it, what she wants to do, etc. You get a strong "I'm in touch with my feelings" vibe from talking to her - here are some things she might say or do to kind of show what I mean: not being able to go see a certain movie because it might be sad, talking a lot about something she saw that was really cute or funny and why it was important, being stubbornly persistent about something she really wants (Honestly in contrast this makes Fe 9s sound like we have no personality, but sometimes it can feel like that, sadly). All of these things incite some kind of internal, emotional reaction in Fi 9.

I am not like my mom in that way. I pick off the feelings of others and it helps me decide what I'm probably feeling, or what I should be feeling in a given situation. Sometimes I feel lost or empty/apathetic if I don't have access to external feelings. It's not easy for me to see how something is affecting me. There are exceptions to this (such as after I've suppressed my emotions so much they start to come out in a storm, but that's another topic entirely), but as a general rule this is the case. It's also relatively simple for me to be "persuaded" by other people's emotions and totally shift my mood to match theirs. I can be affected by different things like movies, music, etc. but I almost always need an outlet (i.e. another person) to kind of share it with. My emotions, facial expressions, etc. will then start to become more animated and lively... but I 100% need that outlet.

I think there is something to Fi wanting internal harmony, but Fe does too... it's just that Fe's internal harmony is perhaps affected more by the external harmony. An Fe 9 will not feel at peace if what's around her is tense. I don't want to try to speak for an Fi 9, but from observing my mom, I can say she has a decent ability to dissociate from other people's emotions in order to keep her peace of mind. I will dissociate too in difficult situations, but moreso from my own emotions.

·
Registered
139 Posts
My mom is an INFP 9 and I am a (likely) INFJ 9.

My mom has a pretty clear awareness of her feelings, while I do not. When something happens, she is able to pinpoint how that makes her feel, if she likes it, what she wants to do, etc. You get a strong "I'm in touch with my feelings" vibe from talking to her - here are some things she might say or do to kind of show what I mean: not being able to go see a certain movie because it might be sad, talking a lot about something she saw that was really cute or funny and why it was important, being stubbornly persistent about something she really wants (Honestly in contrast this makes Fe 9s sound like we have no personality, but sometimes it can feel like that, sadly). All of these things incite some kind of internal, emotional reaction in Fi 9.

I am not like my mom in that way. I pick off the feelings of others and it helps me decide what I'm probably feeling, or what I should be feeling in a given situation. Sometimes I feel lost or empty/apathetic if I don't have access to external feelings. It's not easy for me to see how something is affecting me. There are exceptions to this (such as after I've suppressed my emotions so much they start to come out in a storm, but that's another topic entirely), but as a general rule this is the case. It's also relatively simple for me to be "persuaded" by other people's emotions and totally shift my mood to match theirs. I can be affected by different things like movies, music, etc. but I almost always need an outlet (i.e. another person) to kind of share it with. My emotions, facial expressions, etc. will then start to become more animated and lively... but I 100% need that outlet.

I think there is something to Fi wanting internal harmony, but Fe does too... it's just that Fe's internal harmony is perhaps affected more by the external harmony. An Fe 9 will not feel at peace if what's around her is tense. I don't want to try to speak for an Fi 9, but from observing my mom, I can say she has a decent ability to dissociate from other people's emotions in order to keep her peace of mind. I will dissociate too in difficult situations, but moreso from my own emotions.
Dissociate is an excellent word for it. Yes, I'm an infp 9 like your mom and I can more or less choose how affected I wanted to be by the emotions of those around me, it's like having an internal wall. I see fe as being more fluid, and fi as more rigid and selective.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts