Personality Cafe banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm actually quite familiar with the concept of the cognitive Functions, but there're just some parts that I'm still not sure about.. So: What does it really mean, having a Judging or Perceiving Function first? I often read that you're using your dominant function about 75% of the time; so as an INFP, am I 'judging' 75% of the time? That's insane, I can't 'judge' before not having perceived anything.. What does Judging really mean? I'm confused, help.

·
Banned
3,277 Posts
No, your INFP, so you us Fi (Introverted Feeling) As the bases of processing information. 75% of the time, the process can end here, but if there is a conflict, you will move to Ne (Extroverted Intuition) to help clarify. your mbti classifies you by your strongest tendencies, but everyone has unique percentages in their duchotomies.

·
Premium Member
INTP
11,901 Posts
It means that you aim to be guided by judgement, rather than be guided by perception.
An example of this would be an inclination to judge somebody's character by their motives more than judging them by their actions. We all use both criteria when we're making judgements, but the dominant J or P would lead to a tendency to favour one criteria slightly over the other.

·
Banned
5,331 Posts
Yes, it means you run around all day in JUDGEMENT MODE.
You wake up JUDGEMENT. Make breakfast JUDGEMENT. Watch some TV JUDGEMENT.
All the way until you're fast asleep, you're in JUDGEMENT MODE, throwin' out JUDGEMENTS like they're fiddy dolla bills and you're massively rich.

But seriously, yes. That's what it means. Your dominant function it pretty much "you" nearly all of the time and if that's a judging function, well, then you're judging all of the time.

An example based on one from the MBTI Manual using Fi - say you were to make a spaghetti sauce and you know how you want it to taste - when you adjust the salt and pepper etc by taste or smell or whatever, you're using Fi to make judgments - you're deciding how it is ATM compared to what you want and making judgments accordingly. JUDGEMENT MODE ALL DAY.
Don't get suckered into thinking what I've just suggested is Se because Se doesn't make decisions, it doesn't alter shit, it would smell or taste the food, but on it's own it would not alter the taste. Need that JUDGING FUNCTION.

Now as you're a dominant judger, consider this is what you do, all day every day, about everything, of course you need to perceive something before making a JUDGEMENT but compare an ENTJ and an INTJ listening to the same person say something that's wrong - the ENTJ will just cut them off on the spot - the BS isn't right, ENTJ has dominant Te and just says "woah hold up, that's bullshit and you know it" - now the INTJ on the other hand, is a dominant perceiver, and will be more inclined NOT to take action immediately, NOT to make a judgment - rather, they just listen and take it all in - maybe the guy has a point that might be useful or an alternate take on the issue - then eventually, the INTJ, if they can be bothered - will tell the person they are wrong, where they were wrong, why it's wrong etc etc.. the difference is the JUDGER judges on the spot in real time and acts accordingly, perhaps too hastily - and the perceiver takes in as much information as they can before acting, perhaps too hesitant.

There will be a massive gap between how long it takes an ENTJ to act and an INTJ to act on something.

That was an extraverted judging function just to get the image in your head more easily - for introverted judging, apply that same thing to yourself. Your own inner world.

Okay so what this looks like is, back to the spaghetti sauce - you taste the sauce, decide it needs more salt (Fi) and put more salt in - okay so you're adjusting on the fly - immediately - so that the final result matches what you want - the final result here is based on what you personally are after. Imagine you're cooking for more than one person - adjusting the taste to your own preferences would be Fi, adjusting the taste according to other peoples preferences would be Fe (not necessarily in a people-pleaser way, imagine you ask someone "hey what do you think of this atm?".. that's Fe - now of course an INFP might ask this question, what they do with the information they receive will clue you in on their type - if they take the opinion on board and alter the taste (or not) accordingly, probably Fe, if they consider it but decide nah, that doesn't match what they have in their head, probably Fi).

So let's shift the person making the sauce to be an introverted perceiver for comparison - an ISTJ - so the ISTJ tastes the sauce and they will think about how it compares to the sauce they used to love as a kid (even if they're not recreating it), they'll think about how it compares to what it should taste like atm considering the ingredients they've put in, they might think about a sauce they had at a restaurant last week etc etc you get the idea - they're in this perceiving mode LONGER than an introverted judging type.
They do not prefer to just taste it, think more salt and add more salt immediately by default, unless they're being lazy.
They perceive all information for longer than a dominant judger.

·
Registered
ISTJ
2,438 Posts
Roughly speaking, TJ and FJ types are primarily concerned with shaping their world in accordance to their Si/Ni perceptions and standards. The ''judgment'' comes in the form of wanting to make things correspond in line with the way they see it fit.

Perceivers prefer to just soak up information through Se/Ne and their inner personal judgments Fi/Ti makes them act according to each situation independently from the last.

J types are convinced that they can take control of their environment and path in life which often makes them more pro-active, responsible etc but more prone to anxiety when they realize they can't always do that. Perceivers prefer to deal with life as it unfolds in front of their eyes, showing more adaptability but their lack of structuring can get them in trouble from time to time.

Of course, every Judger has lower perceiving functions and vice-versa, so the stereotype that Js are uptight and controlling vs. Ps being laid back and giving a sh*t about their destiny is very misguided.

That's why I cringe whenever I see people here posting questions like ''Am I INFJ or INFP? Because at work at very organized but at home I'm very laid back'' Yeah, that's not remotely close to what J and P means.

Instead ask yourself whether you feel the need to control your environment or if you prefer to simply experience it. Still not the best criteria for J/P but much better than chill vs. uptight.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts