Personality Cafe banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Banned
548 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hey im struggling to type this dude,weather his an infj or enfj?,he seems very introspective so its hard to tell,i know that introverted doesnt mean infj as there can be shy enfj or enfjs that are not that loud,but what would a sure sign be that hes definitly infj or enfj?

·
Registered
583 Posts
I'd focus on how much they do care and strive for harmony in their group. ENFJs will also have more trouble with feeling free to spend time with people they like and admire most: in my experience they feel the duty to be everywhere and to fulfil every groups of friends. INFJs are generally more speculative and theory-oriented, but I don't know if that's something you can easily see.
One last thing: ENFJs are more facial expressive.

·
Registered
225 Posts
May be a cliche, but INFJ's seem so much darker to me than ENFJ's.

Also, I always seem to find INFJ's hiding behind their hair. Not literally. It's hard to explain...

Basically I think I struggle to read their faces more than an ENFJ or INFP, even. Like they always have this internal dialogue they are not revealing to you.

·
Registered
562 Posts
I'm all ears :)

I also struggle to type an xNFJ (I'm sure about these 3 letters). He's not really similar to my ENFJ friend in that he's rather quiet and he talks slowly, but he's very helpful, sociable, and always surrounded by people. He smiles a lot and has an expressive face. The only thing that would make me think INFJ instead of ENFJ is the importance of his Ni and Ti, which seem strong.
Can ENFJs be heavy intellectuals (almost displaying NT vibes), bookworms, and have the patience to work on a thesis ?
Is it common for INFJs to be very popular ?

·
Registered
501 Posts
INFJ's can be very popular: mostly good natured, friendly and soft, they are very likeable. And a big popularity factor is that they know what makes everyone tick; they know how to treat that person to 'get them to like' them (that sounds very manipulative, but in general, we just want to be liked). I tend to be very accommodating and people tend to like me (but they don't really get to know me on deeper level that quickly).
ENFJ's are similar to that matter, very likeable and sweet, very forthcoming with their Fe. I think I tend to be just a tad more closed of. I am always a bit jealous of my ENFJ friends snappy Se-humor, lol.

ENFJ's and INFJ's have much in common. The biggest difference I see between me and my ENFJ friend, is that she tends to act first and then think, I tend to think first and then act. Her emotions are much more at the surface. I also thinks she judges a bit more outwardly about 'the group' than I do - I keep it more on the inside. She has more circles of friends that she tends to maintain simultaneously. I have a few friends here and there, maybe one group, but not so many as she has. She does A LOT more than I do (she has tons of hobbies and is never alone). I prefer to be alone and I need to do absolutely nothing every once in a while.. (say.. a few evenings a week nowadays I need to do nothing).

My Ti is stronger than hers though, I feel her thinking is sometimes somewhat erratic or short sigthed. This is especially visible in fights (we are so much alike that we annoy each other every so often), as her weakest function is Ti. Ti is not my best (not a match with an ENTP or INTP). I tend to be fairly analytical and laid back, whereas she is much more a feeler and doer.

·
Banned
548 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
INFJ's can be very popular: mostly good natured, friendly and soft, they are very likeable. And a big popularity factor is that they know what makes everyone tick; they know how to treat that person to 'get them to like' them (that sounds very manipulative, but in general, we just want to be liked). I tend to be very accommodating and people tend to like me (but they don't really get to know me on deeper level that quickly).
ENFJ's are similar to that matter, very likeable and sweet, very forthcoming with their Fe. I think I tend to be just a tad more closed of. I am always a bit jealous of my ENFJ friends snappy Se-humor, lol.

ENFJ's and INFJ's have much in common. The biggest difference I see between me and my ENFJ friend, is that she tends to act first and then think, I tend to think first and then act. Her emotions are much more at the surface. I also thinks she judges a bit more outwardly about 'the group' than I do - I keep it more on the inside. She has more circles of friends that she tends to maintain simultaneously. I have a few friends here and there, maybe one group, but not so many as she has. She does A LOT more than I do (she has tons of hobbies and is never alone). I prefer to be alone and I need to do absolutely nothing every once in a while.. (say.. a few evenings a week nowadays I need to do nothing).

My Ti is stronger than hers though, I feel her thinking is sometimes somewhat erratic or short sigthed. This is especially visible in fights (we are so much alike that we annoy each other every so often), as her weakest function is Ti. Ti is not my best (not a match with an ENTP or INTP). I tend to be fairly analytical and laid back, whereas she is much more a feeler and doer.
hmm makes sense ill look out for those signs

·
Registered
INTP 9w1-5w4-2w3 sp/so
2,601 Posts
Well, I would say that ENFJs usually have more social juice than INFJs. INFJs usually prefer one-on-one while ENFJs are more at ease in group settings. I can see how it can be hard to tell being that we have the same functions but in a different order. I also have a good friend who is and ENFJ and he and I have many similarities. We also work together really well. I would say that ENFJs will usually do more of the talking. When you get some INFJs talking they can't stop, they more enjoy listening and not so much being the center of attention. Both types like to get to know everyone and genuinely wants to learn more about their interests.

Our limit will burn out sooner than an ENFJ's would. While ENFJs may like to be by themselves, they are energized by people more than an I would be. I have seen many type descriptions that INFJs can be mistaken for extroverts because many of us show genuine interest in people. While this is the case, ENFJs are actually extroverts so they can run much longer around people. There is also a different type of energy to both of the types. INFJs can be energetic but it is in a different way than an ENFJ would be. ENFJs are usually natural leaders and take charge. An INFJ will usually be more in the background. INFJs can be leaders but they are generally neither leaders nor followers, to the beat of their own drum. An INFJ is also usually more socially reluctant than ENFJ.

·
Registered
3,015 Posts
ENFJs have a higher need for people; and for support, validation, fun, and to feel needed/helpful/wanted/liked.

They can and do lean intellectual at times, remember inferior functions are an attractive draw and great hobby material. However, if a conversation topic isn't one of their own Ti addictions, they have zero patience for the detail of anything. They can also get offended easily if they feel someone is implying that they don't understand a topic, ect.

ENFJs are likely to try to manage others personal lives, less so as they mature but it's a natural tendency.
They easily get hurt, then react unkindly to the erection of new boundaries, or simply unexpected ones - i.e. IF all their friends let them hear their sorrows so they can tell them how to get over it, a new friend who doesn't do the same thing leaves the ENFJ seeing the relationship/friend as seriously unhealthy.

ENFJs do a lot of Se stuff in a relaxed way... they normally LOVE pictures & videos, and are more likely to film themselves talking on social platforms than to write something out. They want to see others faces too, and they will bug friends & acquaintances that don't do video until they capitulate or cry hard enough to be left alone.
They also often comment on facial expressions, no matter who the subject is.

____

INFJs like & enjoy people, but can live without. As it's said, one great quality connection is all we really need, and for us the purpose of broader socializing is to find those 1-3 people.
INFJs are more likely to respect boundaries, like really respect them, and feel ashamed if we didn't realize they were there.
We're also inclined to drop off the face of the planet every now & then, leaving others feeling abandoned, and then we come back energized & happier.

We often enjoy detail, and we tend to appreciate things thoroughly explained especially if it's related to a task we have to perform. Because of dom Ni and Ti up higher as tertiary, we're more flexible on intellectual topics... we enjoy exploring new-to-us ideas and don't get impatient for someone to get to the point except in cases of really inept speakers or terrible theories.

Inferior functions can be a great tool for indicating type, so I recommend observing people for a common theme around their weak spots.
INFJs can be quite sensitive about Se, while hiding that insecurity as best we can.
Especially when young, some INFJs can feel so uncomfortable performing simple things in public that we minimize personal movement, and some of these inner restrictions can carry through into adulthood depending on the individual.

We have obsessions directly attributable to Se, while simultaneously being unwilling & mulish about trying other new activities.
A few hypothetical examples:
•Daily swimmer in pools, refusing to swim in natural water bodies.
•Marathon runner who won't go to a gym.
•Avid hiker that avoids climbing anything despite suitable physical condition, plentiful opportunity, and encouraging friends.
•Lifelong equestrian and private pilot terrified of motorcycles and rollercoasters (actually, that's me lol)
I'm out of examples off the top of my head, but I think you can see where I'm going with that easily enough.
Most people have some quirks like this, but we have a quirk about almost every single thing we do, it's all conditional. We can get stressed about Se activities very easily, while feeling too threatened to let others see how stressed we really are... So we limit the scope, timing, and environment of activities while being very controlled during their performance. In other words, uptight (during activity, yet relaxed when we sit down).

This is by no means a complete list. I gotta go though, hope it adds to the discussion enough to be helpful.

·
Banned
3,318 Posts
One big indicator for me is how active they are. ENFJs tend to be doing 27 different things with their lives at any given time, while INFJs are more... focused *cough* lazy *cough*.

My pastor is an ENFJ. We're very similar in most ways, but a couple of differences I've observed is 1) he's more into sensory/athletic stuff and 2) he has a harder time being objective about the judgements of other people. I think that having dominant Fe as opposed to Ni makes it more difficult for someone to establish good boundaries and realize that sometimes other people are just wrong. I admire his humility, but I've seen him take the brunt for so many things that were absolutely not his fault, and he's extremely hesitant to acknowledge faults in others.

On the flipside of that, I'm also friends with an ENFJ who lets every criticism and negative feeling he has flow straight out of him. He gets away with it because of how witty he is, but I don't think I've ever seen him relaxed. This probably has a lot to do with him doing 27 different things with his life at any given time. :rolleyes:

TL;DR: Fe and Se will be much more present in ENFJs. Much more of the feels, much more of the doing things.

·
Registered
562 Posts
Thank you INFJs for your inputs !
I think I'm not able to correctly type this man because I only know him on the surface. But he gives me the impression to be a social butterfly who might often party with his numerous friends (when he's not absorbed in his literary research work - he's a lecturer). When he's surrounded by people at the end of a conference, he jumps from person to person, when we talk he often interrumpts to talk to somebody else then gets back to our conversation etc (as an ENFP I also do that lol). I've also seen him quite often on his phone. So I guess he's a rather busy man who does 27 things at the same time.
But I don't see him as a leader. He puts other people first, he's very humble, and smooth (his gestures and voice are strangely soothing, he tends to bore his audience lol. He could totally do ASMR for insomniacs).
His critical mind is sharp and he doesn't put his values aside just to please people ; when he has to disagree, he does (politely & with a smile).
I don't know if it could reveal anything about his type but he gets almost offended when I misunderstand what he says. Simple example :
- [xNFJ] last year you worked on [this author] huh ?
- [mangosloth] well no, I wrote my research work on [subject]
- [xNFJ]:frustrating: I know !! I meant the encounter with this writer that you prepared !
- [mangosloth] :bored: Aaaah! yeah indeed !

For now I'd say he's a highly intellectual ENFJ

1 - 10 of 10 Posts