Personality Cafe banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
266 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'am wondering what is the difference between Se and Si when it comes to be in the lower function like Si in an INTP and Se in an INFJ ??

I understand that Se is about objects in the external world as it is right now and that Si is about past memories of objects and how the current environment relate to those past memories.
I'am still confused about those functions when they work as lower functions since i find for both very similar descriptions. Clumsiness, forgetting where objects are, bad movement coordinations....

It also sais that low Se makes its user indulge into sensory simulations like alcohol, drugs, sex,.. but many INTP are the same when they are under stress even thought they use Si.

How can i recognize a clumsy low Se user vs a clumsy low Si user??

·
Registered
1,699 Posts
My ISFP aunt has astounding low Se, sometimes I'll walk into the house to give her cigarettes and I completely catch her off guard for some reason.

·
Registered
ISTJ
2,511 Posts
First thing's first, indulging in drugs or alcohol being lower sensing is not a thing. Yes, it's possible, but strong sensors often fall for it too. In fact, I'm convinced that SP types are the most vulnerable to addiction. I work in a rehab center and I see an abundance of them.

The real difference in lower Si vs. lower Se is that lower Si struggle with analyzing how sensory stimulus affects them, recalling past experience with great detail and are less in tune with their bodily needs. Lower Se is more of a difficulty to adapt to events in real time and taking quick action depending on what a situation demands because Ni needs time to process.

·
Registered
648 Posts
First thing's first, indulging in drugs or alcohol being lower sensing is not a thing. Yes, it's possible, but strong sensors often fall for it too. In fact, I'm convinced that SP types are the most vulnerable to addiction. I work in a rehab center and I see an abundance of them.

The real difference in lower Si vs. lower Se is that lower Si struggle with analyzing how sensory stimulus affects them, recalling past experience with great detail and are less in tune with their bodily needs. Lower Se is more of a difficulty to adapt to events in real time and taking quick action depending on what a situation demands because Ni needs time to process.
Although you’re not wrong I feel like the issue with this is that the symptoms of low Si and low Se are gonna apply to both an INTP and an INFJ. As an INFJ I relate to both characteristics of low Se and Si so it’s not a clear cut way to generate a comparison between the two types.

·
Registered
304 Posts
There are a ton of differences, though it's really important what the person's feeling at a certain moment, because the inferior functions at most people are working mostly out of stress and anxiety which is quite different then how they work when people are balanced. For example Inferior Se for the stressed INFJ will make him very hard to exprience enviormental change, reluctent to try out new things, impulsive behavior, emotional explosions etc. When Se's working good for the INFJ, the INFJ finds it easy to go with the flow of the world and let changes come and go without resisting, that way his Ni can analyze and work more it's perfect universal picture because you can't make it perfect without expriencing the world and getting out of your head.

I'm less understanding on the Si department unfortunatley.

·
Registered
ISTJ
2,511 Posts
It's not a good idea to compare INFJs and INTPs to become with since INTPs are not inferior sensors. You need to compared them with ENxPs to getting a better contrast between Inf. Se-Si

·
Registered
648 Posts
My thing is isn't both an ENFP and INFJ going to be not good at both sensing functions? How would you be able to tell the difference?

I don't think you can compare their ability, the only difference between inferior Se and Si is whether it is valued not it's ability. They will both be not good at Se and Si. But one will value one over the other.

·
Registered
266 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
It's not a good idea to compare INFJs and INTPs to become with since INTPs are not inferior sensors. You need to compared them with ENxPs to getting a better contrast between Inf. Se-Si
Yeah, you are right i picked those 2 because since i'am an introvert they are the one that popped first in my mind, but ENTP would be more accurate than INTP, anyway it don't really matter since you got the point of what i was trying to say.

So let's say ENTP vs INFJ :wink:

·
Registered
266 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
My thing is isn't both an ENFP and INFJ going to be not good at both sensing functions? How would you be able to tell the difference?

I don't think you can compare their ability, the only difference between inferior Se and Si is whether it is valued not it's ability. They will both be not good at Se and Si. But one will value one over the other.
That is exactly the point i never get. How the inferior function will differ from functions not used at all? Since you are supposed to be bad at both. Is it that you are sometimes good at inferior function but always bad, no matter what, at the unused ones?

·
Registered
2,312 Posts
Just gave this example in another thread here.

I see it as how much control you have over a function. I know ENTJ's that have no control over their emotional state at all, because their Fi is so weak. These types get stressed because they go from not knowing what they want to wanting nothing more that that thing in the whole world. The feeling of things being important (which is the main function of Fi) is either absent or 300% there.

Older ENTJ's learn to get a grip on this part of them and accept this without letting it control them.

This means that they do use the function, they just don't know how to use it and end up either not using it or overusing it.

Another example: I know an ENFP that has no control over his lower Si at all. He could not tell you what he had for dinner last night, but can tell you the latin names of all the animals in the zoo (for example). The function is used, but you never know how or when it gets used until it overwhelms you.

·
Registered
1,739 Posts
I wouldn't associate clumsiness with low sensing. I'm so clumsy, I can't drive a car despite years of training and I'm a very good. There are better ways to compare INTPs and INFJs
Yeah, for me inferior Se has a lot more to do with a lack of interest in physicality and difficulty multitasking alongside physical actions (anything other than walking is too hard for me to try to accomplish while talking to another person). Aside from instances of intense tiredness, nobody would really describe me as being clumsy.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts