Personality Cafe banner
1 - 20 of 93 Posts

·
Registered
7,053 Posts
ISFPs are less fantasy-oriented than INFPs. These types are often confused, however, INFPs lean strongly to daydreams, poetry, prose and more philosophical pursuits; ISFPs often live out 'id' experiences rather than writing or even talking about them.
Less fantasy-oriented, ISFPs are generally more "earthy"; their interests are more likely to involve physically tangible experiences. They often have a natural sense of visual/spacial relations and aesthetics (their homes are frequently uniquely decorated or arranged to make an obvious visual impact), and their awareness of what's current, popular, "in" and so on is often something they pride themselves on.

They give this disarming sense of calm contentedness, almost as if they're too agreeable (and indeed, young ISFP males will sometimes overcompensate for their natural introversion and try to be social supermen), but upon getting to know them you'll find that they usually are some of the nicest people out there. Watching them "perform", in whatever way they may do it, is inspirational. As someone said, ISFPs are known for giving people the fewest reasons to dislike them.

ISFPs are more likely to "cut and run" on an impulse if their freedom or individuality feels stifled by current situations. (I have one ISFP friend who, much to his parents' chagrin, decided after high school to go wander around New Zealand with no particular idea of what to do or where to stay, instead of starting college or a job.)

ISFPs, like any SP type, learn best with a hands-on experiential approach where their natural ability to use tools to manipulate the physical environment will serve them best. They're typically very set in their ethical ways, but are impatient with a lot of abstraction and don't often feel that morality requires a tremendous amount of in-depth analysis--it just comes naturally. Do what you feel seems right at the time, dude!

Both types give really inspired performances when they're into something, but INFPs are typically identifiable by their comparative lack of attention to clothing, fashion and overall physical appearance.
Sensing (S)
Paying attention to physical reality, what I see, hear, touch, taste, and smell. I’m concerned with what is actual, present, current, and real. I notice facts and I remember details that are important to me. I like to see the practical use of things and learn best when I see how to use what I’m learning. Experience speaks to me louder than words.

Intuition (N)
Paying the most attention to impressions or the meaning and patterns of the information I get. I would rather learn by thinking a problem through than by hands-on experience. I’m interested in new things and what might be possible, so that I think more about the future than the past. I like to work with symbols or abstract theories, even if I don’t know how I will use them. I remember events more as an impression of what it was like than as actual facts or details of what happened.

·
Registered
1,966 Posts
I found comparing videos on youtube to be kind've helpful. There were differences between the ISFPs I saw, and how I...talk, such as I can be more expressive...possibly just more full of nervous energy, but I related more to how they act, than the INFP.

I also think ISFPs can appear/feel more like they have fluid introversion/extroversion, due to Se being able to pick up on/vulnerable to energy (in the purest sense of the word) moreso that Ne.

If you're any good at sports, art, cooking/enjoy doing them alot can also be a sign. It's quite possible to enjoy/be good at things such as writing, philosophy, have your head in the clouds if, for whatever reason your Ni in those have been developed, but being able in the former areas also. For example my parents were both exceptionally solitary when I was a small child, so I'd spend most of my free time listening to story tapes, reading books, going into a fantasy world in my head, play acting with my brother. The fantasy world got so strong sometimes that I'd zone out entirely, and people would think I was having somekind of a fit x).

I'm less impulsive, and more fantasy oriented than Sensor descriptions are made to sound, and not exactly attentive to my appearance - my attention can be all or nothing, so when I do focus on a thing/a thing interests me, it takes up alot of focus, so other things, whether they be feelings, people, activities, keys, homework can all turn into a blur/fall straight out of my mind/get pushed to the side while I'm focusing on something else. The best way of explaning this is that I am what I do. Every activity I kind of embody, put my whole into, if I'm focused onto it/care alot about it.

My will power, therefore, is hopeless :laughing:.

·
Registered
402 Posts
I'm less impulsive, and more fantasy oriented than Sensor descriptions are made to sound, and not exactly attentive to my appearance - my attention can be all or nothing, so when I do focus on a thing/a thing interests me, it takes up alot of focus, so other things, whether they be feelings, people, activities, keys, homework can all turn into a blur/fall straight out of my mind/get pushed to the side while I'm focusing on something else. The best way of explaning this is that I am what I do. Every activity I kind of embody, put my whole into, if I'm focused onto it/care a lot about it.

I'm like this too.

·
Registered
94 Posts
It's hard to tell the difference sometimes. I'm right on the edge of S/N, but the thing is that I identify more with INTP than I do with INFP, but I know I'm a feeling type, so I was kinda stuck on INTP for a while. I just don't have the NF sentimentality.

·
Registered
7,053 Posts
It's hard to tell the difference sometimes. I'm right on the edge of S/N, but the thing is that I identify more with INTP than I do with INFP, but I know I'm a feeling type, so I was kinda stuck on INTP for a while. I just don't have the NF sentimentality.
I agree with seeing myself in INTP's profiles as well, but I can also see myself in INFP.

·
Banned
1,526 Posts
I found comparing videos on youtube to be kind've helpful. There were differences between the ISFPs I saw, and how I...talk, such as I can be more expressive...possibly just more full of nervous energy, but I related more to how they act, than the INFP.

I also think ISFPs can appear/feel more like they have fluid introversion/extroversion, due to Se being able to pick up on/vulnerable to energy (in the purest sense of the word) moreso that Ne.

If you're any good at sports, art, cooking/enjoy doing them alot can also be a sign. It's quite possible to enjoy/be good at things such as writing, philosophy, have your head in the clouds if, for whatever reason your Ni in those have been developed, but being able in the former areas also. For example my parents were both exceptionally solitary when I was a small child, so I'd spend most of my free time listening to story tapes, reading books, going into a fantasy world in my head, play acting with my brother. The fantasy world got so strong sometimes that I'd zone out entirely, and people would think I was having somekind of a fit x).

I'm less impulsive, and more fantasy oriented than Sensor descriptions are made to sound, and not exactly attentive to my appearance - my attention can be all or nothing, so when I do focus on a thing/a thing interests me, it takes up alot of focus, so other things, whether they be feelings, people, activities, keys, homework can all turn into a blur/fall straight out of my mind/get pushed to the side while I'm focusing on something else. The best way of explaning this is that I am what I do. Every activity I kind of embody, put my whole into, if I'm focused onto it/care alot about it.

I relate tremendously to this, every word.

·
Registered
7,053 Posts
Ne (INFP) Vs. Se. (ISFP)

Simplicity of life is the cornerstone of the Se psyche, while for the Ne complexity is sublime. Ne will take a leap of faith while Se will first test the water. The sum total of stuff (opinions, feelings, beliefs and judgements about one's external world) accumulated defines who Se is, whereas a contextual understanding of stuff defines Ne.

Se builds an understanding of the world by amassing stuff - from the bottom up, starting with basics and progressing to the more diverse. Ne builds understanding from the top down - creates a process, sees whether or not stuff validates the process, and then modifies it until understanding is achieved; and Ne usually stores the process but discards the stuff.

Ne thinks that stuff can always be picked up when needed while the Se considers that processes are not really useful without the details of their application. The more stuff Se amasses the more secure Se becomes because Se considers most stuff as relatively constant and hence, valuable. Se is a packrat of stuff and strives for an accumulation of knowledge, discarding little.

Ne is never convinced stuff will remain the same so Ne hones an analytical ability keeping the mind clear of stuff, which is forgotten so easily. Security for Ne is having a problem solving capability to analyse or take on the complexities of life. Ne will integrate a lot of processes into the fabric of their being making their persona very complex but Ne will amass very little stuff.

Se keeps it simple: all the details to solve a problem are simply remembered for future reference. Se notices everything but will only pick up new stuff that fits in with the stuff already possessed; knowledge is built one brick at a time. And, Se does not necessarily need to understand all the stuff amassed but it must in some way be familiar. Se solves problems by sorting through vast amounts of collected stuff - drawing on experience.

Ne will often go back to first principles and solve the same problem in a different way because they pick up different stuff having forgotten most of what was done in the past; experience is not wholly trusted. Ne notices very little but seeks to understand all stuff that is picked up, but will instantly discard the stuff not deemed relevant to the immediate problem or issue.

Se is a knowledge farmer sowing order, while Ne is the hunter-gatherer of knowledge adapting to each situation. Se fears stuff that is not already on the farm while Ne fears not having gathered enough stuff. Se looks upon most Ne as lacking practical knowledge or ability while Ne looks upon Se as intransigent or narrow-minded.

·
Registered
1,199 Posts
What I notice in this topic that will definitely distinguish ISFP and INFP is that all these ISFPs on here keep bringing up if it can be made into a video once it was mentioned. Haha. I don't often see INFPs in message boards continuously ask for a video representation. They'll just go on talking about it endlessly and theorizing, as would I being very closely related to INFP. Any INFPs on here agree?

·
Banned
4,790 Posts
For a while, I toyed with the idea of being either INFP, INTP, or ISFP. What settled me on INFP before I joined this forum was that I was both idealistic and a listener for my friends. After I joined and found out about the functions, I knew I was an INFP, only my Ne isn't really developed as much as it could be. A test I took a few days ago on SimilarMinds said I had fairly low NF traits, about 56% on both of them, which I agree with. I have no doubt I am INFP, I just share traits with SP's and NT's.

·
Banned
1,526 Posts
What I notice in this topic that will definitely distinguish ISFP and INFP is that all these ISFPs on here keep bringing up if it can be made into a video once it was mentioned. Haha. I don't often see INFPs in message boards continuously ask for a video representation. They'll just go on talking about it endlessly and theorizing, as would I being very closely related to INFP. Any INFPs on here agree?
Well, I think that's a good point. I like having visual confirmation. I get frustrated by the lack of ISFP videos on youtube. It's like, if I could just see and know a for-sure ISFP, then I would know for sure whether I was one or not.

So maybe that's further evidence that I'm an ISFP.

But then I just thought- there are tons of INTP and INFP video clips. Why is that the case then?

·
Registered
602 Posts
agreed. seems like the best way to distinguish is the ISFPs want hands on evidence something they can see, touch, smell etc... whereas INFP we tend to keep our heads in the clouds and talk things hypothetically many times and theorize. it seems like many times INFPs talk the talk but ISFPs walk the walk.

·
Registered
602 Posts
^ both of those sound like me though.
I love hands on and being creative and discovering. I also love to dream and think of possibilities and dreams and 'why'
so do i lol, and im sure we all do to some degree. what makes you INFP or ISFP is which one do you do the MOST. im sure we all have and relate to other types somewhat but its how much of it is us, how much of it dominates our personality that makes us that type. or at least thats how i see it.

1 - 20 of 93 Posts