Personality Cafe banner
1 - 20 of 44 Posts

·
Registered
108 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
hey there! I'm new to this forum and have a feeling that this must have already been discussed somewhere (could you share the link if you know a similar thread?) but still:
Why do you think we have so many fundamentally different ENTPs? Just look at them:
Shawn Spencer from psych
Obama
Tony stark (Downey jr. Version)
Downey jr in the judge (a successful lawyer)
Downey jr as Sherlock Holmes
Jack the sparrow
Julia child (a famous cook)
Etc.

Different lives, different kinds of relationships, different pretty much everything in the external world.

What do you think is the reason? Different life goals because of different enneagram types? Having different functions developed differently? Different levels of maturity, so one ENTP is a more developed version of another? Something else?

·
Registered
4,548 Posts
Essentially you are asking why 5% of the population isnt the exact same person.
I doubt you can connect that idea to some personality theory 2 non psychologists developed.

Take MBTI as a framework that helps you understand people faster, not as an absolute truth.

Also, if you want to compare people, you could choose people who are actually real ^^

·
Registered
108 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
Essentially you are asking why 5% of the population isnt the exact same person.
Yes I am.. In a way. I ran across a thread/article on the intj forum that types their 2% of the population into different groups. I'm more interested in trends here.

And I'm interested in this more to understand myself actually. I've been trying to figure out who I really am and what would bring me most fulfillment in life. I'm in my early 20s and a bit lost at this point. I'm not sure whether I do what I do because that's who I am or because that's what my parents molded me into.

·
Registered
4,548 Posts

And I'm interested in this more to understand myself actually. I've been trying to figure out who I really am and what would bring me most fulfillment in life. I'm in my early 20s and a bit lost at this point. I'm not sure whether I do what I do because that's who I am or because that's what my parents molded me into.
Fair enough. Here you go:
http://personalitycafe.com/entp-forum-visionaries/80278-snowflake-theory.html
http://personalitycafe.com/entp-forum-visionaries/22084-subtypes-because-everyone-different.html
http://personalitycafe.com/entp-forum-visionaries/105196-entp-element-subtypes.html
http://personalitycafe.com/entp-articles/77300-unhealthy-entps-enneagram-variations.html
http://personalitycafe.com/cognitiv...pe-based-cognitive-functions.html#post2390197
http://personalitycafe.com/entp-forum-visionaries/38230-entp-subtypes.html

Choose whichever you want, mostly they are bullshit but hey, none of them can claim any more or less than MBTI does :proud:

·
Registered
6,146 Posts
I thought this thread said something else.
I was baited into this place.
Not bad.

More to the point. MBTI, is, always, and only is a personality theory. Not relationship theory, not career theory, personality.
I mean sure, some factors of your personality factors other things, but last I checked, 16 types to categorize 7+ billion people - soooooo probably some discrepencies or changes depending on blahblahblah someone probably said this before.
WHY ISN'T THIS A BDSM THREAD YET.

1,162 Posts
ENTP traits I've noticed in every ENTP I've come across in person: playfulness, curiousity, a "what if..." approach to life, likes to talk about shit until cows come home with people they deem worthwhile, a slightly to highly scattered approach to things like workplace cleanliness or schedules, a tendency to sometimes overlook details in favour of the big picture.

And that's it really.

I've met ENTPs who were all cold logic, at least in their own opinion, and ENTPs who were very emotionally expressive. ENTPs who were kind and giving, and ENTPs who were not. ENTPs who like to hang out on the edges of the crowd and wait to be approached, ENTPs who are the life of the party. Shy ENTPs, highly assertive ENTPs. And sometimes it's the same person doing all these different things!

1,162 Posts
All that aside, Julia Child is totally my spirit animal. I guess I've found my ENTP niche. (Cooking? My Special Thing.)

Reactions: devoid

·
Registered
108 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
So, I've looked through the links posted by @Tzara and one of them mentions a test to see how developed all of your 8 functions are: Keys 2 Cognition - Cognitive Processes

The idea here is that your functions are not stacked as simply Ne, Ti, Fe, Si + 4 others. Depending on a lot of factors, your actual order is a mix of all eight of them, and the mbti personality type is the closest combination to your result.

I.e., according to the test, the functions I mostly use are Ne, Se, Te, .... but they still identify me as ENTP.

Now, I've never before came across the idea that the actual function order can be anything other than Ne, Ti, Fe, Si. That does make sense though.

·
Registered
1,168 Posts
I've met ENTPs who were all cold logic, at least in their own opinion, and ENTPs who were very emotionally expressive. ENTPs who were kind and giving, and ENTPs who were not. ENTPs who like to hang out on the edges of the crowd and wait to be approached, ENTPs who are the life of the party. Shy ENTPs, highly assertive ENTPs. And sometimes it's the same person doing all these different things!
Haha, as I was reading this paragraph, that's exactly what I was thinking. I'm all these things depending on what time of the day you catch me.

·
Registered
6,186 Posts
I've been around long enough to have met a variety of ENTPs IRL and while they were all very ENTPish, some were irritating dorks always trying to argue they were right about EVERYTHING to the happy go lucky laid back types(my kinda ENTP). Even the annoying ones were hilarious at times though.

I may check out those links.

I've been told I have very well developed Sensing (Se, Si?) and at least a dozen people have demanded I change to ESTP.

But that probably comes from being pretty physically active, outdoorsy, extreme sports since I was a wee lad.

·
Registered
6,186 Posts
Fire Subtype:
spunky and choleric, the Fire subtype ENTP is an archtypal entrepreneur and explorer. they need
to have things THEIR way and often have issues with authority (especially when younger). this type often gives off a subtle (or not so subtle) "fuck you" vibe. frequently, this type is very power hungry and tends to prefer careers that offer ample opportunity for advancement and latter climbing
Examples:
- Peter the Great

------------------------------------------

The Hero [Si Fe Ti]: Every type has a Good and a Bad; perceived by the public’s eye; The Madvillain was already shown as “The Bad Guy” so its only right that “The Hero” be the stereotypical good guy. The Hero somehow manages to combine an extreme background in Traditions with the sporadic craziness. This type can often be confused for ESTJ due to its strong need to correct people who it thinks is in “The Wrong”. It’s the ENTP that would create a safe way for little old ladies to walk across the street. The can’t restrain themselves when it comes to something they feel is wrong. [Correlation: Lawful Good]

The Hero Quote: “He called me irrepressible. This is a man who is truly irrepressible” ~ Q (Star Trek)

ENTP enneagram 7: The experiencer:

This type is the thrill seeker who enjoys novelty of experiences and live life to the fullest. The risk taker and adventurer. Mostly have a don't give a fuck attitude with authority and the status quo or anyone who imposes restrictions on them, and my way or the high way. The atypical troll.

The Doctor [Fe Ti Si]: The Doctor is definitely the nicest of all the ENTPs. Think of them as Lucifer before he got kicked out of heaven. They are just the right combination of real Gentlemen, New World Explorer, and Party Animal. They often love meeting new people. Their Ti rivals their Fe. This allowing them to connect with people in a much deeper manner. They’ll bite their tongues if they feel something they’ll say will hurt someone else. They are pretty much the exact opposite of The Madvillain. The Doctor has a view of the world that is more idealistic than The Trickster. It believes it was put here to help people with its cunning brilliance. It wants to learn & often engages its friends in group decisions on topics they’d normally not talk about. [Correlation: Chaotic Good]

The Doctor Quote: “They can shoot me dead, but the moral high ground is mine.” ~ Doctor Who (10th Doctor)

Man, I see myself in all these. I dunno. I lean towards "The Hero" and "The experiencer" or so I fancy myself.

·
decorum worshiper
8,993 Posts
hey there! I'm new to this forum and have a feeling that this must have already been discussed somewhere (could you share the link if you know a similar thread?) but still:
Why do you think we have so many fundamentally different ENTPs? Just look at them:
Shawn Spencer from psych
Obama
Tony stark (Downey jr. Version)
Downey jr in the judge (a successful lawyer)
Downey jr as Sherlock Holmes
Jack the sparrow
Julia child (a famous cook)
Etc.

Different lives, different kinds of relationships, different pretty much everything in the external world.

What do you think is the reason? Different life goals because of different enneagram types? Having different functions developed differently? Different levels of maturity, so one ENTP is a more developed version of another? Something else?
Well to start, some of these people/characters are not even ENTP's.

Obama is an introvert.

Jack the sparrow is easily an ESTP.

The character from the judge could be ENTP, but ENTJ seems more fitting to me.

·
Registered
1,636 Posts
Yes, different enneagram types play a role. So do tritypes. Maturity, too, as you mention. So does culture, upbringing, genetics, and life experiences. If you believe in the metaphysical, considerations of your "soul", astrology, past lives, or whatever could even be factors.

Your MBTI type is your cognitive filter. Just one thing. How you perceive information and make decisions. It gives you a few associated traits and idiosyncracies, but it doesn't determine everything about you.

·
Registered
2,004 Posts
MBTI type doesn't determine behavior, it simply explains a person's way of thinking, which, when put in various situations at various stages of development (age doesn't directly determine maturity) will result in various types of people, simply with similar thinking patterns.

·
Registered
9,437 Posts
The Hero [Si Fe Ti]: Every type has a Good and a Bad; perceived by the public’s eye; The Madvillain was already shown as “The Bad Guy” so its only right that “The Hero” be the stereotypical good guy. The Hero somehow manages to combine an extreme background in Traditions with the sporadic craziness. This type can often be confused for ESTJ due to its strong need to correct people who it thinks is in “The Wrong”. It’s the ENTP that would create a safe way for little old ladies to walk across the street. The can’t restrain themselves when it comes to something they feel is wrong. [Correlation: Lawful Good]

The Hero Quote: “He called me irrepressible. This is a man who is truly irrepressible” ~ Q (Star Trek)
Oo, this explains a lot about me, and also why I love Q so damn much. They need more Q time and less Raiker on that show. Also, the first test I took on this forum said ENTJ and the next said ISTJ. Funny.

1,162 Posts
So, I've looked through the links posted by @Tzara and one of them mentions a test to see how developed all of your 8 functions are: Keys 2 Cognition - Cognitive Processes

The idea here is that your functions are not stacked as simply Ne, Ti, Fe, Si + 4 others. Depending on a lot of factors, your actual order is a mix of all eight of them, and the mbti personality type is the closest combination to your result.

I.e., according to the test, the functions I mostly use are Ne, Se, Te, .... but they still identify me as ENTP.

Now, I've never before came across the idea that the actual function order can be anything other than Ne, Ti, Fe, Si. That does make sense though.
I got Ne (excellent use), Ti (good use), Se (good use), Te (good use)... likewise ENTP according to the webpage. The Se and Te do make sense-- although my guiding principle is "what if..." I'm pretty good at getting things in order, making executive decisions and enjoy the thrill of physical pursuits.

I did a bit of reading up on Se and found this:

Extraverted Sensing users may also agree with the phrase, “It is harder to get permission than it is to ask for forgiveness.” The Se user may just jump into something new at first and want to figure it all out.
I'd said the exact same thing to my boyfriend half an hour prior to that!

1 - 20 of 44 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.