Personality Cafe banner

1 - 20 of 42 Posts

·
Registered
258 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello. I have read many profiles of different NT types and I feel that they all fit me a lot.

I can't really distinguish which one fits me more.

Are there any general things I need to look out for to help me decide?

·
Registered
258 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Well, yeah.

The cognitive functions.

INTJ: Ni Te Fi Se

INTP: Ti Ne Si Fe

ENTJ: Te Ni Se Fi

ENTP: Ne Ti Fe Si
I know about the cognitive functions, but the problem is my thought process isn't something I can describe, even to myself.

·
Registered
1,131 Posts
I would go first at figuring out which pair is your dominant and auxiliary. There are some threads around on the difference between Ti+Ne and Te+Ni. That gives you only two types to choose form. Next step could be to figure out your least used function. And yes, I to think that cognitive functions is the way to go...

Other than that, possibly if you feel that you know which of S, N, F and T you use the least, and the other judging or perceiving function would probably be your dominant. If you are confident in being introvert, that is more likely. If you do not know, then extravert is a possibility to consider.

If you don't even trust yourself to do that, then I would recommend a bunch of online test (both MBTI and function tests) and post the results here for further comments.

·
Registered
258 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Hello and thank you for the tip.

I have taken a cognitive function test and ended up with Ti in top, Ni in second (not by much) and Te in third. All the other functions were relatively low.

When I take MBTI tests, my INT is usually high but then I get a low P.

·
Registered
1,131 Posts
Do you get any other types when testing for type?

And, do you think you could post your exact scores from a function test?

·
Registered
258 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Do you get any other types when testing for type?

And, do you think you could post your exact scores from a function test?
Well, I did it a few days ago and I haven't saved the results, I just remembered the top 3.

I have never gotten anything else on tests though, just INTJ and INTP.

I can take a function test tomorrow if it would help, just link one.

·
Registered
1,682 Posts
Introvert and extrovert isn't that hard to decide. As far as making thought, are you better at responding or originating?

·
Registered
258 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Here are my results from the cognitive functions test:

extraverted Sensing (Se) ************************** (26.4)
average use
introverted Sensing (Si) **************** (16.2)
limited use
extraverted Intuiting (Ne) ****************************** (30.2)
good use
introverted Intuiting (Ni) ****************************************** (42.6)
excellent use
extraverted Thinking (Te) ************************************** (38.8)
excellent use
introverted Thinking (Ti) ******************************************* (43.4)
excellent use
extraverted Feeling (Fe) ******** (8)
unused
introverted Feeling (Fi) ********************************** (34.2)
good use

·
Registered
1,131 Posts
Here are my results from the cognitive functions test:

extraverted Sensing (Se) ************************** (26.4)
average use
introverted Sensing (Si) **************** (16.2)
limited use
extraverted Intuiting (Ne) ****************************** (30.2)
good use
introverted Intuiting (Ni) ****************************************** (42.6)
excellent use
extraverted Thinking (Te) ************************************** (38.8)
excellent use
introverted Thinking (Ti) ******************************************* (43.4)
excellent use
extraverted Feeling (Fe) ******** (8)
unused
introverted Feeling (Fi) ********************************** (34.2)
good use
OK. Very low Fe contrasts well with dominant Ti. Your auxiliary need then to be extraverted, but might not be that much used by you by the same fact. Your tertiary is obviously introverted sensing. Your most used extraverted sensing is Ne. And as you feel certain that you are NT, that is not very surprising. Possibly your high Ni is actually more of you using Ti and Ne in conjunction. On the other hand, that doesn't seem to fit with the scores for Si and Se. What does fit better with the general picture is an auxiliary Se and a tertiary Ni. That makes you ISTP rather than any kind of NT, and I understand if that is not what you expected. If you are strongly introverted, and have a very weak auxiliary, that could still make sense though. Probably you won't relate to the ISTP descriptions if they are emphasizing Se, but it could be worth a try.

A totally different possibility could be assuming Ni as your dominant and then Te as auxiliary. With Fi as tertiary, your Fe shouldn't be so low, and your Se is way higher than I would expect an inferior.

A third, even less likely, interpretation could be to think of Te as your dominant, Ni as auxiliary, Se as tertiary and Fi as auxiliary, but the sums don't add upp then either, as your Fi is way to high and your Si is a bit low.

So given the data above, I would still hold on to ISTP, mainly because of the distribution of your extraverted functions.

Maybe this could help: ISTP - INTP/INTJ

·
Registered
258 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Well, ISTP actually seems like a pretty good match, though I don't see myself as a sensor at all.

Sure, I do pay attention and notice details but everyone have a bit of a sensor inside of them. I think I am definitely more intuitive.

It is perhaps worth to mention that I am only 16 years old, and my third and fourth function maybe haven't evolved completely yet?

One thing I reacted strongly to, is that in the ISTP profile it said that I like to do things for the excitement of it and I actually do put myself in difficult situations often just to try and get out of them, because I am bored. Also I often have strong feelings which I have to tell someone (which is apparently uncharacteristic for all types), well, not anyone but people close to me.

Also I have been doubting my N (well, I am always questioning my thoughts).

Will read more and see what I can deduce from here.

More advice is certainly welcome.

·
Registered
1,131 Posts
Well, ISTP actually seems like a pretty good match, though I don't see myself as a sensor at all.

Sure, I do pay attention and notice details but everyone have a bit of a sensor inside of them. I think I am definitely more intuitive.

It is perhaps worth to mention that I am only 16 years old, and my third and fourth function maybe haven't evolved completely yet?

One thing I reacted strongly to, is that in the ISTP profile it said that I like to do things for the excitement of it and I actually do put myself in difficult situations often just to try and get out of them, because I am bored. Also I often have strong feelings which I have to tell someone (which is apparently uncharacteristic for all types), well, not anyone but people close to me.

Also I have been doubting my N (well, I am always questioning my thoughts).

Will read more and see what I can deduce from here.

More advice is certainly welcome.
Thanks for confirming I wasn't way off on that hunch... :crazy:

If the test really is correct in you having high scores on both Ti and Ni, then obviously one of them is your tertiary. And it is in my experience possible to have a more developed tertiary than normal if you for some reason have been pushed to neglect your auxiliary. Does that make sense to you?

And let me know if the link in my previous post is shedding any light...

·
Registered
258 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Well, I am not sure if my functions have been supressed in any way.

The link you gave me didn't help me, it just listed traits that ISTPs and NTs had that were alike and nothing to decide if I am ISTP or INTJ.

Also, why does one of them have to be my tertiary function?

·
Registered
1,131 Posts
Ok. That's good.

Do you relate to these distinctions in any way?

For the Improviser™ skill often comes from the drive to action and they hate being clumsy or awkward. They get involved in an activity, get caught up in the pure joy of doing, and thus become skilled. Theorists need to feel competent and often want a measure of competence before they even do something. To practice or “do” means failure and that often can strike at the core need.
It helps to listen for the concrete language of the ISTP, which often creates a picture in the listener’s mind. Such language is likely to be full of specific examples and stories. INTP and INTJ language tends to reference abstract concepts with a focus on precision
An INTP described his preferred work style as exploring problems and sub-problems (Ne), while his ISTP colleague described a tactical trouble shooting approach with a focus on getting the task done (Se).
Also, ISTP’s frequently engage their Relief Role process (tertiary) of introverted iNtuiting and enjoy looking at whole systems and patterns and getting a sense of what will happen in the future.
The reason for putting either Ni or Ti as your tertiary is that if your dominant is introverted, your auxiliary will be extraverted, to balance things out. Your inferior is also extraverted if you are an introvert, while your tertiary will be introverted, the same as the dominant. That's, together with the distribution of the N/S and the T/F pair is really the only reason it is possible to tell anything from just a basic function test.

So one of them doesn't HAVE to be tertiary, but both your N and T can't be introverted, unless one of them is tertiary, given that you are an introvert.

What would clear things out a lot, is if you could try to catch which of the functions you use more introverting and which you use more extraverting, for instance by reading http://personalitycafe.com/cognitiv...iled-descriptions-each-function-attitude.html and seeing what you relate to...

But I think that ISTP seems to be a good fit, judging from our conversation so far...

·
Registered
258 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Statement 1: I am more like an NT in that regard. I often cannot be bothered with things that I cannot do right away. Every single one of my hobbies, I was good at when I started it. I really hate repetition and practice (even if I love the subject at hand). One of my "famous" quotes around my friends is; "If you feel the need to practice at or repeat something, you don't understand it".

Statement 2: My language is more abstract and I use abstract concepts to describe things. Sometimes I can describe things with events related to the past, but it isn't often.

Statement 3: When I solve problems I often focus at fixing the problem. This is usually done by getting an abstract understanding of the problem (I can put concepts in my head together but I can't really describe it in a good way, not even for myself). I wouldn't say it's exploring, but wouldn't say it's troubleshooting either.

Statement 4: I often think about my future and plan for it, even now I have planned my life to the point where I am approximately 20 in detail. I also have a vague plan for my entire life.

I will read the text you provided and come back.

·
Registered
1,131 Posts
Statement 1: I am more like an NT in that regard. I often cannot be bothered with things that I cannot do right away. Every single one of my hobbies, I was good at when I started it. I really hate repetition and practice (even if I love the subject at hand). One of my "famous" quotes around my friends is; "If you feel the need to practice at or repeat something, you don't understand it".*
This actually sounds more like the Improviser to me, which is the ISTP...

Statement 2: My language is more abstract and I use abstract concepts to describe things. Sometimes I can describe things with events related to the past, but it isn't often.
Yes, sounds more NT

Statement 3: When I solve problems I often focus at fixing the problem. This is usually done by getting an abstract understanding of the problem (I can put concepts in my head together but I can't really describe it in a good way, not even for myself). I wouldn't say it's exploring, but wouldn't say it's troubleshooting either.
This, on the other hand sounds ISTP to me. I've bolded some parts.

Not from these answers, but in general, I do get the feeling that you would prefer not to be an ISTP. Is that so, or am reading in things you don't intend...? (I know I am probably suffering from confirmation bias, trying to reconcile the fact of Ti AND Ni.)

I'm right now looking at this video to see if it gives any clues...

·
Registered
258 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
After reading it and giving it some thought, I can say that I definitely introvert intuition and I identify with it the most. I identify with everything it says on that post.

I think I introvert Ti a bit more. I am fascinated by the fact that the reality we live in, which is seemingly unpredictable, can be described with mathematical formulas. I also want to understand a system because I think that the understand is worth a lot more than just memorizing certain examples. I often curse my school literature for not providing the understanding "why?", but rather just giving me examples that I need to memorize. I end up trying to make a system by myself but often fail because I haven't recieved the knowledge.

My feeling is definitely introverted, I go after my own subjective standards and do not adjust to the crowd.

I extrovert Se more, but not my much really. That function is basically nonexistant for me and I use it just because it's necessary to live in our world.

·
Registered
258 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
"Theorists need to feel competent and often want a measure of competence before they even do something. To practice or “do” means failure and that often can strike at the core need. "

Isn't this exactly what I described in statement 1?

·
Registered
1,131 Posts
"Theorists need to feel competent and often want a measure of competence before they even do something. To practice or “do” means failure and that often can strike at the core need. "

Isn't this exactly what I described in statement 1?
You may be perfectly right. I'm quoting the text and your answer for reference, and will give a shot at explaining my logic.

For the Improviser™ skill often comes from the drive to action and they hate being clumsy or awkward. They get involved in an activity, get caught up in the pure joy of doing, and thus become skilled. Theorists need to feel competent and often want a measure of competence before they even do something. To practice or “do” means failure and that often can strike at the core need.
I am more like an NT in that regard. I often cannot be bothered with things that I cannot do right away. Every single one of my hobbies, I was good at when I started it. I really hate repetition and practice (even if I love the subject at hand). One of my "famous" quotes around my friends is; "If you feel the need to practice at or repeat something, you don't understand it".
I often cannot be bothered with things that I cannot do right away. = More interested in the specific, than the idea.
Every single one of my hobbies, I was good at when I started it. = I interpret this as you being good at whatever you choose to do, not that you stick with doing what you already know you master.
I really hate repetition and practice = again sounds very SP.

Did I get anything wrong?

1 - 20 of 42 Posts