Personality Cafe banner

21 - 38 of 38 Posts

·
Administrator
14,957 Posts
Discussion Starter #22
It doesn't show up in the post but I can click on the link to the pic. Very nice! You can see your leaping improvement every pic you post.
Thanks! I feel like I'm improving a lot too.

It's funny how it goes in stages that seem to alternate between making mistakes and feeling completely incompetent and then learning and becoming better. lol Like a pendulum.

Or my old art professor said it was like a beating heart--like breathing...erasing and then adding more, and then erasing again.

I guess that's how life is.

UGH that made me miss my old professor though.

·
Administrator
14,957 Posts
Discussion Starter #23 (Edited)
Here's the recent stage:

lol I did these two--they are the same, but not the same. lol I disliked the first try so much I did it again--truth be told, I wasn't able to take much of the lesson the first time and just had to do a lot of it without any reference or guidance. lol

Second one, I decided to be really serious about since I was questioning my entire life's experience of drawing from the first.

I still made mistakes but it turned out better imo. I'm planning to work on it more, but even this version is better. I wanted to see whether it would come out really light. I don't really like the lighting on the wings but I don't want to have to mess with it--I should read some articles on it. I am using the spray paint tool to do the lighting layer, but I don't really like that tool.

He's supposed to look like he has light behind him, but I'm still not sure if I'm doing it right. It was using the blur option and white. I will probably work on that more tomorrow. I think I made it too bright--im not sure if the shadows make sense anymore.

At first it looked like a fog around him, but then if he was in fog, shadows like that wouldn't make sense at all. I'm going to mess with his coloring tomorrow too.

·
Premium Member
35,627 Posts
Drawing directly on screen is indeed useful. Again this depends on the device you’re using and the software.

For example, if you’re using a touch-enable screen with software made to react to your touch, working directly on a screen can quickly become stressful. There’s an affordable kind of glove that covers your two or three extra fingers but leaves your thumb and index free for touch interaction.

Then there’s using the screen without touch input. You’d have to use your pen or a mouse to switch between tools and colors, but at least it wouldn’t matter where you put your hands.
Mine is confusing

·
Administrator
14,957 Posts
Discussion Starter #25
Drawing directly on screen is indeed useful. Again this depends on the device you’re using and the software.

For example, if you’re using a touch-enable screen with software made to react to your touch, working directly on a screen can quickly become stressful. There’s an affordable kind of glove that covers your two or three extra fingers but leaves your thumb and index free for touch interaction.

Then there’s using the screen without touch input. You’d have to use your pen or a mouse to switch between tools and colors, but at least it wouldn’t matter where you put your hands.
I was thinking about getting a cheap pair of gloves and then cutting off three of the fingers?

Mine is psycotic
Your tablet?

·
Premium Member
35,627 Posts
Your tablet?
I was thinking about getting a cheap pair of gloves and then cutting off three of the fingers?

Your tablet?
I bought some thing because I had to do math online because corona but my equations looked like this:

You can't even see that is is supposed to be numbers.

Oh here it is. Wacom its called.

Reactions: WickerDeer

·
Administrator
14,957 Posts
Discussion Starter #28
That looks cool @Electra
I use a wacom too.

What are you using?

Sure. No comment on that lol. Let me know how it goes.
lol that doesn't sound encouraging. :LOL: I'll let you know, but I don't have anything to compare it to.

I just learned, though, how useful it is to be able to swivel the image to do lines (in the last one I did). So maybe a cut up glove will help too. :LOL:

·
Premium Member
35,627 Posts
That looks cool @Electra
I use a wacom too.

lol that doesn't sound encouraging. :LOL: I'll let you know, but I don't have anything to compare it to.

I just learned, though, how useful it is to be able to swivel the image to do lines (in the last one I did). So maybe a cut up glove will help too. :LOL:

·
Premium Member
35,627 Posts
Next time I will try to paint something. I think I need to learn to use the keys to easer change between pensil and eraser, etc. I find it a heavy tool yet, maybe it will change.

·
Premium Member
35,627 Posts

·
Administrator
14,957 Posts
Discussion Starter #34
I think maybe it's b/c the holidays, but I feel so unmotivated today!

I guess unmotivated days are probably good for practicing stuff--like studies and things that don't take a lot of passion or creativity. : /

·
Administrator
14,957 Posts
Discussion Starter #35 (Edited)
Ok this is crazy--I painted the first painting on photoshop, and this was black and white, and I colorized it.

I have to say it was pretty fun. I've never done that--there are techniques for that in studio painting as well, but I've never done it there either (I suspect it's a little cooler with oil paint b/c the glazes can catch the light).

But this was fun for sure!

I need to do it every day--I learn something new each time I pick up the stylus.

There's definitely a lot of issues with it, but colorizing it was really fun (even if it looks kind of ridiculous lol)

I saw it on this:

I don't know if I'll really want to do it like this often, but it was pretty fun to try.

·
Administrator
14,957 Posts
Discussion Starter #36 (Edited)
Oh--I am just now finishing the video (I just watched the first fifteen seconds before painting b/c I wanted to know the rough way of how to do it) (also, tbh I'm only 3 minutes in. maybe I should just watch it and then comment on it or do things...)

So all I caught was to use a color layer.

But the video goes in to how you can use overlay or multiply layers as well, which I think I could try. I also didn't mix any colors with a blender or anything, which I could have done, according to the video.

I still haven't finished the video.

Edit: Ok--finished the video.

I think that was a great video and he went into a lot of technique and theory.

I agree with him about going from black and white to color feeling limiting and dissected. Maybe that's one of the reasons I wasn't excited by the idea very much (except I did start to get more curious with oils b/c sometimes glazes can be so vibrant and I love that idea of being able to put such a bright vibrant color over white, without it mixing together and changing saturation).

And I do enjoy using color all through a painting tbh.

I am also glad I didn't watch the whole (or almost any of it) before painting the color on, because it felt a lot more overwhelming to learn all those different tools...I just learned that there is a layer called color, which is what I used.

I think just because this was supposed to be a fun and not too stressful exercise, it was better to just keep it simple and experimental.

And I did end up having way more fun, I think, just because I was experimenting.

And it's pretty cool to see the color go on a black and white painting, because color's just pretty. It's exciting. I don't really like black and white, I have to be honest. It can look dramatic, but color also adds to contrast in a painting.

What a great video though--it was a bit overwhelming and I'm glad I didn't try all those things this one time. I mean, it's literally the first painting on photoshop that I've done.

I was halfway through painting a fish on it, but then it started glitching and froze and it completely lost the whole fish, so I was put off trying it again, though I did after uninstalling and installing. But I couldn't bother painting the fish so I just chose a random photo and it was black and white, which I thought would be easier (I'm not sure if it really is, but maybe).

I don't know what happened with PS at first, but it seems to be working okay now. The eyedropper wasn't working properly though when I tried to connect the shortcut to the stylus.

I don't know what to do when I get those technical problems on photoshop--like I can't tell if I'm doing something wrong or if it's the software.

But it was pretty fun to me to just focus on that one little tool--the color layer.

·
Administrator
14,957 Posts
Discussion Starter #37

The painting reminded me of how I kept hearing this recently, and the music seemed fitting. I thought maybe I should have listened to Blondie while painting it. Because that might have made it even more fun.

But I think Blondie reminds me of the painting technique (going from greyscale to color) because it does feel sort of like putting makeup on someone or on a doll.

I think she would be a good subject to paint like that because she has such dramatic and contrasting features--the red lips against the light hair and skin, the dark eyelashes etc. And also the bright, vibrant colors. Almost like painting color onto a Marylin Monroe black and white photo. So she reminds me a little of a good subject. Maybe one day.

·
Administrator
14,957 Posts
Discussion Starter #38 (Edited)
So I tried to correct some of the problems with perspective and form, which is probably beyond my ability, at this point.

I have got to stop messing up so badly in the beginning. But it was a good learning experience because I pushed the liquify tool as far as I could to try to fix it without distorting it too much, and I also used an overlay layer--two of them, to try to unify the color. It isn't great but it's an improvement, which is what I can try for.

And it's also my first painting on photoshop so I really should not get quite as upset about it--I also learned how to switch the picture so I can check proportions better. I think I need to do that a lot because I am really prone to distorting proportions.

Ok this is crazy--I painted the first painting on photoshop, and this was black and white, and I colorized it.

I have to say it was pretty fun. I've never done that--there are techniques for that in studio painting as well, but I've never done it there either (I suspect it's a little cooler with oil paint b/c the glazes can catch the light).

But this was fun for sure!

I need to do it every day--I learn something new each time I pick up the stylus.
View attachment 872916

There's definitely a lot of issues with it, but colorizing it was really fun (even if it looks kind of ridiculous lol)

I saw it on this:

I don't know if I'll really want to do it like this often, but it was pretty fun to try.

21 - 38 of 38 Posts