Personality Cafe banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Banned
388 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
In my childhood I had some interest in dinosaurs and wanted to be a paleontologist for a short time.

The connection between INTP in childhood and having an interest in dinosaurs, is this a common thing?

·
Registered
3,157 Posts
Really disappointed this isn't full of gifs of dinosaurs eating INTPs who were too busy thinking about their bone structure and the intricacies of time travel to remember to run.

·
Registered
2,268 Posts
Yeah I thought that most kids like dinosaurs or go through a dinosaur phase. And yeah I certainly did. Also I went through a phase of being a bit obsessed with Ancient Egypt which I imagine is also common for kids.

And then alter i was obsessed with Pokemon of course. The dinosaur obsession for kids is very similar to pokemon I think or at least it was for me.

·
Registered
5,568 Posts
Guilty. But in all fairness growing up with Land Before Time, who wouldn't get curious?

·
Registered
987 Posts
I definitely was into dinosaurs and zeroed in on any National Geographic articles I could find on the subject, had an encyclopedia, and one documentary on VHS that I watched repeatedly. I wanted to be a paleontologist. Still do. Too bad PhDs are prohibitively expensive.

·
Registered
1,049 Posts
I liked dinosaurs, I had a few dinosaur toys and I enjoyed documentaries about dinosaurs. But that's mostly because I was curious about everything. I was never obsessed with dinosaurs the same way that I was into some other things like robots and magnets. I had a robot that could turn into a dinosaur and into a space ship! Actually I still have it but I don't think it's complete anymore.

Guilty. But in all fairness growing up with Land Before Time, who wouldn't get curious?
Yeah, that cartoon rocked! Then a few years ago I accidentally discovered what happened to Judith Barsi (Ducky voice actress). Heartbreaking stuff.

·
Registered
INTP
3,887 Posts
No, I grew up when kids were into cowboys and Indians. We were aware of dinosaurs, but we didn't consider them interesting. I remember being much more fascinated by prehistoric mammals such as woolly mammoths and saber tooth tigers.

·
Registered
224 Posts
In my childhood I had some interest in dinosaurs and wanted to be a paleontologist for a short time.

The connection between INTP in childhood and having an interest in dinosaurs, is this a common thing?

Yes! I were collecting magazines about dinosaurs and constructing phosphorescent model of skeleton of Tyrannosaurus Rex. I have been also collecting little figures of dinosaurs. I can't say I've met any peers interested with that too. I can't say I've met many peers.

But I think in the times of my childhood in the place where I've been living dinosaurs were quite popular. I remember mobile saloons with animatronic dinosaurs, I remember bigger theme events. I don't see anything like this nowadays.
Also many games about dinosaurs were made and that first Jurassic Park movie (1993), which were the cause of everything, I think.

·
Registered
3,940 Posts
I have an INTP son that liked dinosaurs when he was little, however, I don't think it had anything to do with him being INTP. Most of my friend's kids, of varying types, at some point went through a dinosaur phase. I didn't go through a dinosaur phase until I was a teenager. I went to school to be a geologist and was planning on going into paleontology until I realized how hard it is to go into and how very few paying jobs are out there. I'm just a plain old rock studying geologist now.

One thing though that I think INTPs do that is different than just regular kids liking dinos (or any other obsessive interest little kids tend to go through) is the pure absorption of information on dinos. I found through my son's life (he's almost 11 now), he would obsessive study all he can about the subject for a period of time and then the next week it would be another subject matter. I think if my son could only have one thing in his life, Google would be what he would pick. ENTPs are also really interested in different subject matters too and will get all absorbed; however, we tend to be more ADHD-like so shiny objects will distract us so we don't have the dedication an INTP does into the subject matter. My son has gone through dino stage, States, Presidents, National Parks, various sports (no interest in playing them, just learning their history and learning about the players), rollercoasters (but uses data to psych himself out from actually going on them), various classic rock bands, Garfield comics and Jim Davis, Walt Disney (he recorded a 2 part episode of American Experience and was waking up early before summer camp to watch it), etc. None of my other friends kids are like that, except my one friends daughter who I am pretty sure is also an INTP.

BTW, I am not big on typing kids young but it kind of hit me one day that he was definitely INTP. His more dominating traits were introverted, disorganized (to the outside world), and generally pessimistic (could have a day of 95% fun and one bad 5% thing would ruin the whole day). Because my ISTJ husband is introverted and pessimistic, I thought he was more like him, but as school started and I started hearing the same comments from the teachers I got (minus the talks too much in class I heard), he was the introverted, pessimistic version of me. It also explained his unorthodox play (rarely using toys for what they really should be used for), his overly logic approach to things (to the point he can psyche himself out of doing things based on the data he collected), his almost (but not enough to fall on the spectrum) Asperger's-like awkwardness, and his generally little concern for the rules.

Reactions: Dasein

·
Registered
3,940 Posts
BTW, he still won't part with his bucket full of dinos even though he hasn't touched them in 6 years.

·
Registered
22 Posts
I loved dinosaurs to death when I was like 4-6 years old, then I moved onto lego as I found it was way more intellectually challenging at that point of my life. I think we INTPs like dinosaurs because they are just so fascinating and cool. Also, we like to observe things, and dinosaurs are a great way to develop the INTPs analytical and observant nature of the roles in society. Just my two cents on the topic.

·
Registered
1,203 Posts
Dinosaurs are especially appealing to INTPs because they are a stepping stone to a much bigger picture of the world and how we fit into it. Think about it: here are fantasy creatures who actually existed for FAR longer than most creatures that live today. And most of what we "know" about them is conjecture and extrapolations from animals that live now. It also forces a person to wonder- how did apes become humans in such a short period of time compared to how long dinosaurs lived? Did any dinosaurs ever develop human or close to human intelligence? There would not necessarily be any fossil records if that population was as small as the human population until 10,000 years ago. Cool stuff indeed!

·
Registered
987 Posts
Dinosaurs are especially appealing to INTPs because they are a stepping stone to a much bigger picture of the world and how we fit into it. Think about it: here are fantasy creatures who actually existed for FAR longer than most creatures that live today. And most of what we "know" about them is conjecture and extrapolations from animals that live now. It also forces a person to wonder- how did apes become humans in such a short period of time compared to how long dinosaurs lived? Did any dinosaurs ever develop human or close to human intelligence? There would not necessarily be any fossil records if that population was as small as the human population until 10,000 years ago. Cool stuff indeed!
I agree with your first part. As for your questions:

1) You are comparing a Clade with a Family. A more accurate comparison might be the development of dinosaurs vs synapsids (mammals and mammal-like reptiles). That is more clear. Both split and have been evolved/have been evolving for hundreds of millions of years.

2) Doubtful. Human intelligence seems to be a highly unusual specialization. Even if there was a small population of a species of dinosaurs with our level/type of intelligence, we would still likely see a development towards it through the evolution of other closely related species (similar to us and the rest of the apes). There aren't any dinosaur species showing that degree of gradual evolution of unusual intelligence, and and our level of intelligence is such a heavily specialized and unusual trait, I would not expect to find it either.

·
Registered
2,567 Posts
Nope, never, though like anything else, I learned about the types of Dinosaurs that exist, though not with much obsession.

·
Registered
INFP 4w5 6w7 9w1 so/sp
3,416 Posts
My brother used to be fully into dinosaurs as a child, and I am pretty sure he's INTP.

·
Registered
28,957 Posts
I have a Jurassic Park dinosaur battling game on my computer. The review said he had little replayability, but I had at least 8 profiles on there.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts