Personality Cafe banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
2,704 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Throughout my life I've always had a path to walk. Now I'm feeling lost. I feel like I was brought here (where I currently reside) for a reason, but no idea as to why or for what. I hate being here and want to leave, but my job doesn't give me enough hours so I only have about 700 saved up, which isn't enough to relocate. I don't know how much longer I can keep my morale up living in this small town. Anyone else ever get to a point in their life where nothing was making sense anymore? How did you cope and/or get out of it?

·
Registered
946 Posts
Heh, same problem here Ert... through much of my adult life.

I'll randomly pick directions in my life and take them to their conclusion - to whatever end, picking up insights along the way. If I were a D&D character I suppose I'd be chaotic neutral.

What I've found that truly gives me goals and a sense of purpose is someone to protect and care for. This really does light a fire.

·
Registered
2,704 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
LOL. I made a post a few days ago saying the same thing about being Chaotic Neutral.

I feel the same way too. I constantly want to keep moving and seeing different parts of the world. Changing jobs to try out different professions. If I lived forever, I would make sure to master everything that interests me. However, being human means there's tons of things I am going to miss out on.

·
Banned
3,849 Posts
Can you borrow money from your parents or relatives say for 4 months rent and move to a larger city in close vicinity? You can probably find some kind of a job there in this time and eventually pay off the loan. Don't need much furniture or things really to make for basic living, lots of things can be picked up from craigslist over time. Car is another thing that I noticed you need in the states, but larger cities also have OK public transportation especially around centers and college areas. In the mean time like in that movie Amelie rediscover the pleasures of small things, stop thinking deeply into future and past and try to live in the moment more. Of all the places I lived some were really depressing, but no place was utterly hopeless and there was something at each location that I really liked.

·
Registered
2,704 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I am actually living with my mom again and I'm supposed to be saving money. However, the job I have currently pays so little it's practically not worth living here. The ONLY real benefit is that my health insurance is covered while living here (thanks to my indian tribe), so I'm currently getting all my teeth necessities covered. After that though, I'm boning out one way or another.

·
Banned
3,849 Posts
I am actually living with my mom again and I'm supposed to be saving money. However, the job I have currently pays so little it's practically not worth living here. The ONLY real benefit is that my health insurance is covered while living here (thanks to my indian tribe), so I'm currently getting all my teeth necessities covered. After that though, I'm boning out one way or another.
I see. Well nothing much to recommend then besides looking into a second job. There are also ways of making money outside of holding regular jobs. When I was in college for about 1.5 years I traded in gaming accounts. I optimized the process and the very peak I was making $25-30 per hour of my time while all college jobs paid $6-10 and per month it amounted to $1000-1300 extra income. They made it more difficult for the game that I was playing so I had to abandon it, plus I graduated meaning I could get a real salary. And I didn't have to hold it as an official job - hours I spent on this could be cut down at any time, for example, the week of final exams - and didn't have to drive or walk anywhere - it was money made completely from confines of dorm and nearby library that had free internet. One of my friends was trading in some old specialty computers for graphics design. Buying them on eBay, installing some programs then reselling for a couple hundred more over eBay once again. Another friend spent weekends tutoring kids out of very rich neighborhood and they paid her $20 per hour for it. Of course economy right now is not as good as it was 3-4 years ago and so not as many opportunities exist. But just keep in mind that outside of regular $6-7 per hour jobs that pay peanuts there are other venues to make some money.

·
Registered
2,704 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I have traded rare sealed copies of video games on ebay for a while. The last time I sold part of my collection (about a dozen games) I made 1000 bucks. I have a few more stuff to sell too. I guess I should pick that up again. So how did you trade your game accounts for profit? Just level up and get good items then sell the account. Rinse. Repeat?

·
Registered
2,473 Posts
A few years ago, I felt like that. I had made a bunch of dreams for myself and how I was going to go half-way across the country and go to school. I went there and it wasn't like I had expected and I failed miserably. I was so sure that everything was going to work out and that that was what I would be doing for the next few years of my life. But I had to come back home and live with my family (one of the reasons why I wanted to leave in the first place.) Between being angry at myself for failing (who else did I have to blame?), feeling like I would always fail, and being stuck in a place where I felt completely hopeless, it was just a horrible time in my life.

I can't say that it has been easy trying to get back in a normal frame of mind. I go through periods of depression every few months and I sometimes have suicidal thoughts. But I have to keep reminding myself that the depression is temporary and things will not always seem hopeless.

But it's hard when your job sucks the life out of you and you're surrounded by people who are content with never striving for improvement and just complaining about how much their lives suck. That's how it was at my last job and I started to become like them.

When I started to feel directionless, I started doing research about my personality and looking into what I was passionate about. Where did I want to go in life? That's when I started looking into MBTI and other personality testing. I wanted to understand why I think the way I do and how I can work towards what I want for myself.

Try envisioning a better self and how you might be able to work towards that. Also, you could try reading books that point you towards a career that you'd find more rewarding. They'll help you clarify your goals and interests. I don't understand people who settle and then feel like everyone owes them. Your discontent might be a blessing in disguise.

·
Banned
3,849 Posts
I have traded rare sealed copies of video games on ebay for a while. The last time I sold part of my collection (about a dozen games) I made 1000 bucks. I have a few more stuff to sell too. I guess I should pick that up again. So how did you trade your game accounts for profit? Just level up and get good items then sell the account. Rinse. Repeat?
I did it in two ways but the second one is probably specific to this particular game. One way is that you buy an account somebody is trying to sell quick and cheap and then advertise it and wait for somebody to purchase for more, so basic resale. You have to know the market of course and what people are generally looking for. I know people do this with all kinds of items on eBay, but key is in knowing your market and that kind of specialized knowledge takes time to gain. In my case I started playing the game for fun, then turned it into cash income once I realized that it pays more than any college jobs. Second way was they released new expansions in game that opened up in-game trading opportunities that I used to make in-game money. With this money I bought characters from other players then then resold them for real money, basically converting in-game money into real money. I didn't have to level up anything, just log on and switch some buy/sell orders for in-game money which took about 2 hours each day. Once I amounted a particular sum I went looking for people who needed in-game money and were willing to sell their characters to me, then these characters I listed for sale for real money. I got scammed a few times of course, as trading virtual stuff you are not protected in any way, but considered it 'business expenses' as my friend pointed it out to me. Overall there are more people out there who trade honestly than scammers, and scammers after a while became easy to spot.

·
Registered
5,675 Posts
Goes to show...

We INFJs need something meaningful to grab a hold of. You might find it in God... a Goddess (A girl in your life ;) ), or in some kind of meaningful outlet.

Explore the world and I'm sure you'll find it. You're not the only one looking for their path.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts