Personality Cafe banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
1,869 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I know this person who likes to disappear for a few days to a few weeks at a time to "recharge." I do this. and I know my INTJ friends do this, too. However this person I know likes to announce that he will be "away" for awhile to take a break from life and recharge, and that he will be back soon. (the "announcing" part is interesting - sometimes he;ll announce it afterward, but sometimes he'll announce it ahead of time). By "disappear," I means that he likes to withdraw from life as he knows it (the people he works with, his regular group of friends, etc) -- either spending it immersed in a new town or at home doing who knows what.

This person has ISTJ tendencies... so I'm wondering to all the other ISTJs-- do you do this??

My initial thought was that this person is an ISTJ with a well developed intuition, and after a lot of threads/researching, I am thinking again that this person is an ISTJ. Like many of my ISTJ friends, he lives with a sense of nostalgia and usually does not like change (though he does travel quite a bit, he has lived in the same place for 15+ years). He does have many xNTJ tendencies, but I am almost certain he is ISTJ now. (The few things that made me think he was an INTJ were dispelled by that INTJ v. ISTJ thread going on). and plus, the fact that he announces these things makes me think that he has a sense of duty to let his friends/co-workers know.

·
Banned
932 Posts
I like to disappear and withdraw to recharge, but I don't announce it.... I will tell my family or close friends at the most. But I also don't necessarily cut myself off from everyone if they need to contact me. Maybe he doesn't want to be contacted so he is letting people know ahead of time the reason he will not answer their calls for a certain period of time- like a vacation or something...

·
Registered
9,420 Posts
Time to recharge? What's that?
All kidding aside, I'll "announce" if I'm going to be out of the net due to an out-of-town trip, or something like that, but I quite honestly don't think I could just up and disconnect from everything like you're describing. I know an INTP that does that frequently, and I'm usually left scratching my head in confusion afterwards, every time.
HTH ... just my .02; YMMV.

·
Registered
139 Posts
I would only feel comfortable doing something like that if it was the first feel weeks of summer break or something like that, but then it would be expected. I try to take an evening for recharging every now and then, but usually I just go about my normal activities, spend time with friends, and just give myself an evening away from homework or something. For example, I went boating out on the lake with some of my closest friends, and that helped so much. I like alone time but I usually feel the same sense of recharging if I'm only around a few close friends, instead of lots of acquaintances, and certainly instead of with strangers. I try to recharge in bits and then look ahead to a weekend or break that will allow me to recharge completely ]knowing that a timely break is coming helps so that I don't get worn down midweek and need to retreat, possibly interfering with other plans or obligations.

I do have a friend who is likely an IXTJ and she has a night every week or so that we're just not going to see her. This usually comes after several days of us all doing a lot together and she really needs that time to recharge. Like this ISTJ you know she may announce it before or after. If she goes home and just crashes we may not know and we'll try to get in touch with her. If she doesn't answer we know what's up, and she'll usually mention it the next day.

Reactions: Sela and niss

·
Registered
106 Posts
Wow! A few weeks? My wife would kill me!

I too do not announce it. My favorite way of a recharge is to hop on my bicycle for an endurance ride of multiple hours. Someone usually knows my route and I have my phone just in case. Afterwards, I'm drained physically, but mentally refreshed.

·
Registered
272 Posts
im not sure of what you mean by disappear and recharge but i can tell you after school i head into my room check my mail go on the forums and then i start playing again unless i have TKD then i go to it but that pretty much it

wow my life sound boring

·
Registered
447 Posts
I do have a friend who is likely an IXTJ and she has a night every week or so that we're just not going to see her. This usually comes after several days of us all doing a lot together and she really needs that time to recharge.
Yep. That's me.

If I know somebody is going to complain about my absence- then I'll tell people, but only those who need to know. I know that I will tell my immediate family when I am on a break, but only because I don't want them bothering me about it. Sometimes, when I take a break to recharge, I will already be irritated or I just know that I am not being nice. So I calmly tell them that I will be away for X hours, and then I separate myself from them until the storm finally calms.
It is completely necessary for me to recharge by disappearing... I do not believe that any social setting would be able to recharge an ISTJ. I just need alone time. (my usual disappearances include lunch at Panera at my own little table, and about 2-3 hours of silent reading, thinking, or people-watching.)

·
Registered
141 Posts
just like me, i'll vanish from all my friends for a week and then come back for a few days, i find people to be repeative and that it bores the heck outta me, this is why i vanish, i have very few friends and very content doing things by myself

Reactions: Sela and niss

·
Registered
9,420 Posts
im not sure of what you mean by disappear and recharge but i can tell you after school i head into my room check my mail go on the forums and then i start playing again unless i have TKD then i go to it but that pretty much it

wow my life sound boring
I pretty much do the same; while I have the luxury of the internet at work (and some nights have time to spare), I also may have to deal with an emergency situation that can potentially take me away at any time (like last night when I was busy nearly all night).

So ... the ritual pretty much goes like this:

Evening: Schoolwork (internet classes this term)
Overnights: Work
Morning: Get home and check e-mail/forums
Afternoon: Sleep

Oh yes ... and eating over the sink - almost forgot about that one. :crazy:

All kidding aside, if I DON'T get my e-mail/forum time in the mornings when I get off work, I can get kind of grumpy. It's the time for ME, even though it's usually not more than a couple hours or so.

·
Banned
1,158 Posts
I know this person who likes to disappear for a few days to a few weeks at a time to "recharge." I do this. and I know my INTJ friends do this, too. However this person I know likes to announce that he will be "away" for awhile to take a break from life and recharge, and that he will be back soon. (the "announcing" part is interesting - sometimes he;ll announce it afterward, but sometimes he'll announce it ahead of time). By "disappear," I means that he likes to withdraw from life as he knows it (the people he works with, his regular group of friends, etc) -- either spending it immersed in a new town or at home doing who knows what.

This person has ISTJ tendencies... so I'm wondering to all the other ISTJs-- do you do this??

My initial thought was that this person is an ISTJ with a well developed intuition, and after a lot of threads/researching, I am thinking again that this person is an ISTJ. Like many of my ISTJ friends, he lives with a sense of nostalgia and usually does not like change (though he does travel quite a bit, he has lived in the same place for 15+ years). He does have many xNTJ tendencies, but I am almost certain he is ISTJ now. (The few things that made me think he was an INTJ were dispelled by that INTJ v. ISTJ thread going on). and plus, the fact that he announces these things makes me think that he has a sense of duty to let his friends/co-workers know.
well maybe a more social istj would take the time to disapear for weeks, but i disapear every night. there is almost no social contact in my life.

Reactions: niss

·
Registered
202 Posts
ISTJ...with a pot....in the kitchen? :confused:

Yeah, I go and hide, not like travel but just lock myself in my house. I kind of go through these cycles of when I want to be social and when I don't want to be. Sometimes I hide for a night, sometimes I hide for a week or two. Just really depends.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts