Personality Cafe banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
407 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
are you disciplined?

if not, how do you try to bring discipline into your life?

i find it difficult to work hard and be disciplined unless i have a deadline to meet very very soon, unless there is someone supervising my work and expecting me to submit my work. in the absence of such structures, i go wild, i pursue what interests me, which may have almost nothing to do with what i am supposed to be doing.

a few practical things i try to do to stay disciplined -

- put my computer in a place other than my room, and go to it only for work. when the work is done, switch it off and go away.

- spend more time in the library, where there are perhaps fewer distractions than at home.

·
Registered
2,610 Posts
I'm terribly undisciplined. My mood drops and I get all antsy if I'm feeling "trapped" by anything banal, useless to/distracting from my interests, or taxing without enough immediate reward. Hahaha. 459, yep. Okay. How do I overcome this? For the most part, I really don't. HOWEVER, I agree about getting out and going to the liberry. I've done most of my good work, writing and such, in a library or coffee shop. Just changing the surroundings gets me into the mindset more.

·
Registered
984 Posts
I don't think discipline (or a lack of) has anything to do with being a type 4, but I can see how it's easy for this type to lose focus on what needs to be pursued if given the opportunity, and instead stay in a state of hesitation, self-questioning doubt and inhibition. If you mean on the micro scale, day to day with outlined responsibilities and required duties, I'm somewhat disciplined (I'm an ISFJ so that has something to do with it, but I am very leisurely). But on breaks for example or figuring out the next step of my life or pursuing new opportunities, I'm so terribly undisciplined.

·
Registered
1,741 Posts
Am I disciplined? - No.

How do I try bring discipline into my life? - Sporadically, generally when I'm trying to save my ass from trouble, that is coming my way if I don't. What helps is forcing a habit on myself. With those that I managed to survive the "get into habit of" phase, I sometimes display more discipline than none at all. It's a constant trouble.

I'm terribly undisciplined. My mood drops and I get all antsy if I'm feeling "trapped" by anything banal, useless to/distracting from my interests, or taxing without enough immediate reward. Hahaha. 459, yep. Okay. How do I overcome this? For the most part, I really don't. HOWEVER, I agree about getting out and going to the liberry. I've done most of my good work, writing and such, in a library or coffee shop. Just changing the surroundings gets me into the mindset more.

·
Registered
787 Posts
I'm only disciplined if I have a deadline staring at me in the face. And even then, I usually break down/cry/distract myself/beat around the bush/etc. for a few hours before I can get to work. I really hate deadlines.

Reactions: Dora
1 - 6 of 6 Posts