Personality Cafe banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've been bothered for a while now with the uncertainty of knowing myself.I think/feel that if I can better figure out myself then I will be able to progress in many areas because I will know how what obstacles to overcome,how to best work out of my wiring, etc... In regards to personality, I believe that I am an INTP.

I personally place a high premium on intelligence and the people I tend to admire are those who display impressive levels of rationale and logic and often seem "cold and detached" (Sherlock Holmes for example). The articles I have read on INTPs seem to describe me, but I am at the same time unsure. The problem is that I don't know if my tendency is to act out of who I wish to become or who I actually am. When I take personality tests I encounter the same problem. Am I answering out of who I wish to become or who I actually am? I have gotten results saying I am an INFP. I have also gotten results saying that I am an INTP.

Here are a few extra things you may consider:

+Friends might describe me as well-read and inquisitive.
+I hate conflict.
+I enjoy movies that make me think and that deal with the abstract and philosophical.
+I can tend to romanticize stuff, particularly the time that I will "fall in love."
+Don't have any really close relationships
+I am introverted but can be sociable if needed.

Please help if you can. Maybe you can point me in the direction of resources that would be informative. If you need to know more, then just ask. Thanks!

·
Banned
1,428 Posts
Heidi Priebe said:
It’s important to note here that INFPs are the most prone of any personality type to mistyping as something else. Because INFPs live in a world of identity possibilities, they enjoy thinking of themselves in various different lights and are able to thoroughly convince themselves – more so than any other type – that they truly are thinkers, judgers, etc. Their extroverted intuition allows them to see a situation from various different angles and their introverted feeling creates an emotional attachment to the type they decide on. For this reason, INFPs are more prone to mistyping than any other type. …

Also likely to mistype as: INTP

Why the mistype happens: INFPs are quite analytical in nature. Introverted feeling is a function that picks apart information to get to its core – and this is easily confused with introverted thinking, which operates in a very similar regard. The difference here is what the end goal of the assessment is – for the INFP, the goal is to find the true meaning of everything they are analyzing. For the INTP, the goal is simply to find the most objective truth. Because objective logic is a weak point for the INFP but intensive analysis is not, they may test as Ts in a slightly defensive measure of protecting their intellectualism – when not familiar with Myers-Briggs, they may not understand that one can be both intellectual and emotional.

https://thoughtcatalog.com/heidi-pr...-briggs-type-youre-most-likely-to-mistype-as/
reckful said:
In particular, I think it's not uncommon for INFs to test as INTs, at least partly because many of the F choices on typical MBTI tests (including the official test) are choices that are more likely to appeal to SFs and EFs than INFs — and I think that's more true of INFJs than INFPs, and probably even more true of female INFJs than male INFJs.
jxgl1 said:
I tend to admire are those who display impressive levels of rationale and logic and often seem "cold and detached"
The problem is that I don't know if my tendency is to act out of who I wish to become or who I actually am. When I take personality tests I encounter the same problem.
Perhaps you admire the traits that you lack?

MBTI Thinking-Feeling Facets
http://personalitycafe.com/myers-briggs-forum/222794-descriptions-mbti-step-ii-facets.html

Big Five Agreeableness [Feeling] Facets
The Big 5 Aspects of Personality

Type Profiles
https://www.davidson.edu/offices/ca...-and-major-exploration/career-assessment/mbti

1 - 2 of 2 Posts