Personality Cafe banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
449 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi guys.

I just want to say first of all that I am not really depressed. I'm quite happy actually, but it's just that...well...My position in life is not what I want it to be right now.

I'm 16, almost 17, and high school is almost over for me. However, I am completely and utterly alone and have been since I can remember. I'm actually very socially and internally confident, and If I ever talk to people outside of school (which is almost never) I can put on a very confident light. The problem however, is that everyone in my school have well established and concrete social circles, and im out here in the open with no one. I went though a "weird" and mildly depressed phase in middle school, so that's not helping much in getting to know people since a lot of people seem to have this bias toward me, that's hard to break. And I like being alone, don't get me wrong, but it's to a point where it is absolutely maddening at times. I don't have a license either, so it's not like I can go anywhere I want to potentially meet new people anyway.

Also, all I do is wake up, go to school, go back home and merely sit around and think all the time, or doing something to at least put a bit of attention into. For example, ive been really getting into World-building at the moment, and so far the lore that ive built is quite nice IMO. However, I want to do some things that actually lets me do and explore things outside of my home, instead of just sitting on my ass like a certain Auguste Rodin sculpture. I'm sick of being in limbo and I want to break out of it, but there is no visible opportunity in sight at the moment. I guess if I had to explain it in MBTI terms, my secondary function is telling me to FEED NE! and yet, I have no food to give to it. I think that college is where my Ne can play around, im hoping. However, that's almost a school year away, and I'm getting kinda impatient. Time is NOT on my side right now.

Have any of you all been in this situation? And have you gotten out of it? If so, how?

·
Registered
347 Posts
I haven't experienced what you described but going to college should definitely help. If you stay in the dorms you will be around people all the time and have the opportunity to make plenty of new friends. Dorm and college life in general is the most active social experience most people ever have so there is plenty to look forward to. Another advantage is that you probably won't know many people at your college, if any. That gives you the opportunity to make a fresh start, as no previous biases will follow you.

I know that doesn't help your situation now, but try to be patient. I really wanted to get away from home my senior year in high school so I know how it can seem to drag on forever.

·
Registered
449 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I haven't experienced what you described but going to college should definitely help. If you stay in the dorms you will be around people all the time and have the opportunity to make plenty of new friends. Dorm and college life in general is the most active social experience most people ever have so there is plenty to look forward to. Another advantage is that you probably won't know many people at your college, if any. That gives you the opportunity to make a fresh start, as no previous biases will follow you.

I know that doesn't help your situation now, but try to be patient. I really wanted to get away from home my senior year in high school so I know how it can seem to drag on forever.
Yeah, It seems like that's all I can really do. But it's still just agonizing to be able to do something, yet you can't because there isn't anything to let you do what you want. It's just a bummer is all.

·
Registered
1,442 Posts
Time is on your side. It sounds like you have a ton when you are at home. I suggest investing that extra time in getting that license or researching public transit options so you can seize the ample opportunities that exist outside school.

An alternative is to keep talking to your classmates. Let them get to know you better and genuinely endeavor to understand them too. Every place has established social circles but that does not mean those circles are closed. You lose out when you allow anxiety and preconceptions about how others view you get in your way.

·
Registered
449 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Time is on your side. It sounds like you have a ton when you are at home. I suggest investing that extra time in getting that license or researching public transit options so you can seize the ample opportunities that exist outside school.

An alternative is to keep talking to your classmates. Let them get to know you better and genuinely endeavor to understand them too. Every place has established social circles but that does not mean those circles are closed. You lose out when you allow anxiety and preconceptions about how others view you get in your way.
Thanks. I've been trying to drive, but hardly anyone has time to get me. Either working or they are too tired, or it's too late to drive anyways. Also, we don't have any public transport here, sadly.

Also, thanks for the words about the alternative. Its something that ive been trying to do, with varying degrees of success. And, yeah, I do get anxious when I'm at school. It's something that I've tried to keep tabs of.

Reactions: Dao
1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.