Personality Cafe banner

1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
595 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I could rant all day so I won't write lots.

Lots of nice people out there and there's been lots of great people, but there's lots of bad things that happen in the world and people are to blame.
Also everyone is just out for themselves, which means you have to fend for yourself to an extent and people don't need you but they will use you, and you're alone.

Then people just make me angry, new laws trying to censor the internet, kids crying because their iPhone they got for Christmas only has 16GB memory, people ranting about people on Facebook (why do I still have that), and then just the pointless shit people talk/complain about! Is this why I'm alive, to talk about pointless shit? I thought animal abuse and world hunger was bad but I guess not nowadays.
Some people think they know whats best for everyone, they tell you to go to university but don't know how little faith you have in the world.

Any INFPs have a dislike for people as a whole? Or not?
To me it doesn't sound INFP-ish but then I have developed some Ti I think, possibly from being surrounded by ass-holes, and I'm not perfect. Maybe I just have a hatred for T's sometimes or blame people to let emotions out, still most people annoy me when I think about it (oh God I sound like a T, but I like nice people and hate everyone else, damn Ti).

·
Registered
2,842 Posts
I love people-even though I may not particularly "agree" with many societal conventions. Life's not unfair, life's just life. It IS beautiful-just live it your own way, true to yourself and your values, whether they are highly regarded or otherwise. You yourself know we are not all that bad, if your search your mind and heart. Don't let the way your values are constantly violated by society lead you to believe that humans are all bad for you-be the good you wish the world was.

·
Premium Member
15,453 Posts
There are millions and millions and millions of good, decent, awe-inspiring people in the world. No I do not hate this world or most of the people in it. Yes, bad things happen out there but I believe it's minuscule compared to all the good. That is my view.

·
Registered
1,060 Posts
There would not be a world to save if this world would be a a paradise.

·
Registered
337 Posts
I used to like people more when I was younger, more naive, and really thought most people were basically good. Now I feel most people are basically shallow and care only about what it's in it for them. I do know people who don't fit that description, but they seem to be the minority.
I really became cynical after a recent run-in with my neighbor, whom I had always been nice and polite to. He told my husband he's afraid of me and my husband actually said that it's reasonable for him to fear me because I'm quiet and keep to myself. So minding my own business and not caring for mindlesss small-talk makes my character suspect??? What???

·
Registered
17,196 Posts
I listened to a speech on youtube on the thoughts of a globabl empathetic society where people used to only hold empathy for their tribe than their village, their religion, then their country. The man thought that the only way we could survive our future is if with how connected we are now via internet that we no longer attributed ourselves to nations or religions but were more inclined to define ourselves as earthlings. That we are all human beings sharing this earth and the imaginary lines that divide us shouldn't be constricting us any more.

Out of the speech though, my favourite thing he said was. That he doesn't think there would be empathy in heaven. Because we depict heaven as paradise without suffering but it is others suffering that empathy is for. To feel for another human being.
That yes we're in a state of constant chaos with good and bad but the good can only shine in the surroundings of bad things. The same situations where people do evil is also an opportunity for someone to stand up and be a hero.
So with that in mind I see the evil side of our world giving people the opportunity to also be good in the face of it. We'll never perfect it and be without conflict, even in this day an age we still have ignorant people.

But with all things there is a balance and I would think some people are cynical and paint the world as overall evil. I dont believe that, I think people are inherently good willed but sometimes good intentions can still hurt, we are flawed and make mistakes and there of course are the extremes of people doing inhumane things. But the people of the world centuries ago aren't so different to how we are now in our wants and needs. Culture has changed but people remain the same.
People dress up the past as if they had lived back then, as if people didn't swear or commit adultery or murder or abuse drugs. Every generation smearing the younger generation saying they're too wild and up to no good, that they lack morals. The bad people have always been there just as the good have been too.
People haven't changed.

·
Registered
337 Posts
I don't believe good can only shine in the surrounding of bad things. We may appreciate it more because of its contrast with evil, but beauty and goodness and truth shine with thier own light. They don't have to be compared to evil to have merit. I don't have to visit the dump to be able to appreciate the beauty of my own garden. Its beauty and goodness exist independently of the badness. I wasn't blind to the goodness of some people in my life, waiting for someone to treat me badly to be able to see it. It existed and was wonderful even before that.

·
Registered
137 Posts
There's a quote on Dostoyevsky's The Brothers Karamazov:
“I love mankind, but I find to my amazement that the more I love mankind as a whole, the less I love man in particular.”

But I'm the opposite. The more I love man in particular, the less I love mankind. So, my dear INFPs, you're not alone in your misanthropy.

·
Registered
4,140 Posts
It is so hard for me to think in generalizations. I don't think my mind is wired that way. I see too many exceptions to the rule, too many backstories and individuals. So no, I don't hate society or people. I might hate a particular concept, like materialism or selfishness, but I don't hate the people who partake in these things because while they may have this bad thing going on, they may also have good things going on that I can't hate. Just because someone drives around in a Hummer doesn't mean their life is trash and they don't deserve to live. It occurs to me that every time I meet someone and actually take the time to understand and empathize with them, I come to like them. It never fails. This has happened enough times that I can't judge someone in an instant at all. People are deeper than that. I truly believe this and therefore I cannot hate and I cannot generalize. It just doesn't work for me.

·
Registered
2,842 Posts
IMHO, misanthropy is unhealthy, although I can see how an individual may get there. It's a flawed conclusion, in my opinion. Should you hate yourself as well? Because you are as human as the humans you hate (and yes, I clearly believe you should all love yourselves, for there's much to love.)

Misanthropy is akin to racism and other prejudices, in that it often finds fault with the whole as opposed to individuals. Just because some humans-along with a few of their values-are a serious afront to our beautiful world, doesn't make humanity the scourge of the universe.

Ultimately, how can an individual be happy in our world if all he/she does is ponder how "evil" humanity is? Oppose what you see as "evil" by being its oposite, and learn that although this world's different societies seldom lead themselves according to our best hopes and wishes, we can still live happily, and in accordance to our values.

·
Registered
620 Posts
I do dislike people and society.
There are so many terrible things in this world; I tend to wonder if the good things are worth all of the trouble.

Reactions: potato

·
Registered
595 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Thanks for the replies, all good
so I'm guessing this a type 4 thing?

·
Registered
208 Posts
I love people, I hate society.
Recently, I've learned to see something good in everyone, even if they treat me badly. I've learned that what I don't like about people is what society has taught them. All those little rules, the way people act, what's considered "normal".. It's all society, and I think it takes away personality.

·
Registered
1,102 Posts
I don't have any particular hatred towards anyone. Well there are a few, but those are grievances that could not be solved without either A) traveling back into time or B) trespassing upon some sacred ground I'd rather not tread. It is understandable to be annoyed with the short sightedness of some aspects of society.....even more so when you notice others bitching about trivial matters such as being late, not obtaining their desire, or any other detail. I seriously doubt that a good majority of people will ever search out the atrocities in the this or even experience them (speaking of the western world). There is a vast difference between knowing that much happens in this world and seeing a destitute kid abandoned on the street barely clothed and covered in feces.

There is a great caveat to this however. There are people who will go out to make a difference, donate money, or educate others about the great plights that are a common day occurance. While it may be disheartening to learn you cannot save the world, do not think you cannot make a difference. Treasure what you have, and go out doing at least one good deed for the day. Or take up a crusade until the day you die. If you start researching the facts, it's a bit mind boggling to see how aid is given and how much. I do think when I'm older (and possibly wiser) I'll start coming up with a plan to increase the efficiency and effectiveness of some programs and harshly critique others. Move the masses and you win in the political realm.

Meh, any ways a quote to live by:

"All that is required for evil to prevail is for good men to do nothing."-Edmund Burke

Sidenote: Linking misanthropy to Ti as an INFP is highly unlikely. It doesn't work in our our function order, if you're relating it towards thinking, then Te would be suspect. Even this could be a mistep however, thinking types aren't wholly selfish or disconnected with suffering. Pain and hurt is a universal human condition, so I would slap that stereotype outta your head.

·
Registered
72 Posts
People are beautiful in all their complexity. I love people and I love humanity. There are very few people I dislike personally, and usually that is due to my own personal problems, not any evil inherent in them. As a whole, I'm in awe of the human race.

Yeah, this sounds very naive even to me. But it's how I feel.

·
Registered
1,085 Posts
I don't hate people at all, I hate it when people ASSUME things. I do this as well, but as INFPs we need to be careful not to come off as snobbish. Since we internalize everyone else's actions, we can come off as cold-hearted. People can hurt you, but that doesn't mean that you should reciprocate.

·
Registered
1,010 Posts
"At times the world can seem an unfriendly and sinister place, but believe us when we say that there is much more good in it than bad. All you have to do is look hard enough. And what might seem to be a series of unfortunate events may, in fact, be the first steps of a journey." - A Series of Unfortunate Events

I think people in general are just misguided, trying to find their own way through life. It may be easier to find the good if we focus on people as individuals (especially the ones closest to us) instead of a homogenous group.

·
Registered
1,786 Posts
I find that people are largely self-interested. And that is neither good nor bad. They do stuff that makes them feel good and they avoid stuff that makes them feel bad. That's just basic human nature.

Some people give away all their worldly possessions and live without money in a cave in Utah and blog about it in order to make themselves feel good. Other people run a bank that loses $2 billion dollars. Our values determine what we believe about other people and humanity in general.

Self-interest determines our views of society. If we believe that society is basically good, then we're getting something out of that belief (hope, a better valuation of our innate goodness, etc.) or if we believe society is bad, we're getting something out of that too (individualism - world is bad, i'm not so I'm more unique then others, survival - i got to watch out if I'm going to be physically and emotionally safe). I can't say one is better than the other. I choose the one the that works for me.

So if you believe that people are mostly bad, then you'll have certain behavior that will reflect that belief. You'll make people jump through a lot of hoops before they become your friend. You'll be unconsciously defensive around them. You might be paranoid they're trying to take advantage of you. That behavior will then produce a result in your current relationships and the connection you have in those relationships.

Same goes with if you believe people are naturally good. You will behave a certain way. You might let people in too easy and get hurt more. Beliefs influence action creates results.

The question is: am I getting the results I want?

I believe in psychological Darwinism, beliefs either will or will not survive their environment. I like the people I know. I think everyone else is an unknown and I can trust that they'll act according to what they feel best for themselves which in itself is neither good nor bad. I can't say I hate the weather because it rains on a day I planned to go rock climbing. I can't say, I don't like this person because his values system opposes mine. This doesn't mean I have to accept their value system and it doesn't mean I have to like or dislike them for their values.

However, I do tend to stay away from people who's value system makes them take action that in my view is destructive to themselves and others.

1 - 20 of 35 Posts