Personality Cafe banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
186 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok, guys, so no matter how old you are, I bet that you all know every moment of that incredible movie. In my case it totally changed my life in a most beautiful way possible. I was wondering to clarify once and for all the personality types of the characters. I'll tell you what I think with a short explenation, and you say weather you agree or not.

Mufasa-ENFJ (A pretty clear one. He is obviously a choleric being the authority figure, the father and a ruler. That narrows it down to ENTJ, ESTJ and ESTP. He is deffinitely an intuitive. He seeks the deeper understanding of life. "Circle of Life", sees the big picture. Then, again, teaching Simba all those "rules" make me think he is an ESTJ. But he really is a feeler. The kind of king that is charismatic not a dictator. That leads us to ENFJ)

Scar-INTJ (The easiest one to type. He is pretty much the charicature of his own type. "The evil genious-INTJ" often portrated as antisocial. Then, the theory that his character is based on Hitler who was an INTJ himself. He is the most paranoid character, which is true, because unhealthy INTJ tend to be very paranoid. Just look at his inferior function Se, meaning that he is TOTALLY out of touch with his surrounding and that he doesn't have any norm to see what is possible in reality, because, in his head, it is a PERFECT plan. Knowing that his dominant function is Ni and inferior Se, that means he is either an INFJ or an INTJ. There is NO WAY he is an INFJ, because the main priority for INFJ is to sacrifice themselves for the growth of humanity and the main goal on INTJs is to sacrifice everything for their MASTER plan of dominating (scielently) over smth or somebody)

Rafiki-INFJ (Also, very secretive like Scar, but his CORE, his essental is totally different. What seems to be his purpose in life is to help "the kids" find themselves spiriually. He is everybody's confidant. Who better to do it than an INFJ. His role is also pretty stereotupical "the weird man with the beard" or, in this case - mane. I see him sometimes being typed as an ENTP. Here's why it is not possible. ENTPs (me being one myself), although they are intuitives, they just don't feel the need to connect with people on that level. They have Ne, which makes them scattered, child-like and inconsistant, which is totall opposite of Rafiki being focused, wise and determined.)

Zazu-ESTJ (I am not sure between ESTJ and ISTJ. But he seems like an extravert to me. He doesn't just obey the rules, he makes other people obey them, too - dominant Te. Then, Si- his respect for tradition, order and rules. He is the one that has the courage to talk to Mufasa even when he's mad, so I am staying with ESTJ)

Hyenas: Shenzi-ESTP, Banzai and Ed-ISTP (Just the way Scar talks to them: "I'm surrounded by idiots" shows that they are Artisans, who are, by deffinition not rationals, like Scar is. Shenzi seems to be their leader, and that is probaly a choleric, so I guess she is an ESTP. She is very much in touch with her surrounding (Se) and, unlike ESFPs who have Se Fi, I am sure she has Se Ti, just based on the way she perfectly justifies doing what she does. I can see her trying to use fet tertiary Fe to "charm" Zazu, Simba and Nala. She is, however, totally incompetant to understands Scar's concept of killing Mufasa (Ni). Banzai ad Ed are ISTPs. The typical literature "badasses", rebels, anarchists... After all, this is a cartoon, no matter why most of the characters (especially the perifer ones) are charicatures)

Timon-ESTP (, like Shenzi, except that he is a healthy one. I can go threw his cognitive functions, but the explenation just seems similar. He has a better developed Fe, which makes him more "likeable" and he even manages to start developing his Ni, when realising Simba's point of view in the end. I've seen him being typed as ENTP. Clearly, there is no sign of Ne in him, because he is the deffinition of "living in the moment")

Pumbaa-ESFP ( just because he is more pure and less harmless than Timon, people sometimes happen to misstype him as a ISFP. But, clearly he is a "performer", a warm hearted fella. That also lives in the moment like Timon (Se), but has Fi (the way he handled bein hurt when his friends left him for being stinky).

Sarabi - ISFJ (unfortunately, it's another sexist cliche where all females are is the love interest of the male protagonists. Her portrait as a mother and a spouse just suggest that she will be a traditional, typical SJ, preferably and introverted one, preferably a feeler, so the image of a femal would be as sexist as possible. Unfortunately, we didn't get a chance to get ti know her better)

Sarafina - ISFP (being also a mom, Nala's mom, I think she is also a IxFx. Judging based on the one sentance that she says, she seems pretty laid back and less of a control-freak then Sarabi. So I think IxFP. As a intuitive, I just don't think she's an INFP. She wouldn't be so concerned about little things like... Licing her kid clean.

Nala - ESFJ (a girl. An SJ... HMMM I have never seen THAT before. She is obviously and extravert. Very bubbly and competitive as a kid. Extremely down to eart (S). I think she is a feeler. And she is 100% as a judger. She is reliable, determined and responsble. Simba even said:"You sound just like my father", which makes sence, 'casue both her, as an ESFJ, and Mufasa as an ENFJ have Fe dominant.

And noww.... *drumroll pleaseeeee* my favorite hero of all times - SIMBA!!!
Now, this one was extremely hard for me, because, the protagonist that he is, he is the only character that s for sure not a chariacture. He has a very complex personality. In the beginning he is an obvious extravert, while he seems introverted when an adult. He seemed a Sensing type in the begging as well. He just chanes complitely during the movie. After a LOT of thinking, I am pretty sure he is an ENFP, and I'll tell you why.
First of all, as a kid, and even now, I can REALLY relate to him. That's becasue he is an ENFP and I am an ENTP and we share the same dominant cognitive function - Ne.
He is often misstyped as an ESFP< but here's why it's just NOT VALID. I will tell you later in the article.

He is an "E". He is totally focused on the outer life. He is full of life, wich was 100% clear when he was a kid. Later, after his father's death he wasn't so enthusiastic at all. It's not because he "became an introvert", it's because he was simply hiding his real self.

He is deffinitely an "N". "WHY? He was interested in understanding the concept of "Circle of Life". He wasn't fully aware of it at such a young age, but he was interested. He thinks outside the box. He values MEANINGS of things around him, not their purpose (S). And, besides, let's face it to use an intuitive as the lead role will make the box office go sky-high. People just love us! ;) Ns are rare, bring a deep connection between the viewer and the characters, and just take the role of our imaginary best friends for the 2 hours that we watch a movie. It's not the first time Disney is doing this. They just prefer intuitives, especially the Diplomats (they make 10% of the population): Tod (Fox and the Hound)-ENFP, Ariel-ENFP, Rapunzel-ENFP, Bami (INFP), Quasimodo (INFP), Esmeralda (ENFJ), Pocahontas (INFJ)...

He's an obvious Feeler "F". I think it would be a VERY high score in favor of feeling as oppose to thinking, because there isn't even a trace of T His inability to let go and go on with his life was the crutial to make him a FEELER. He did seem to move on with Hakuna Matata, but I'll explain why it wasn't real.

Lastly he is an obvious "P". So obious that he almost let the Scar ruin everybody's lives at Pride Rock, just because he was too lazy to deal with old emotions.

That gives us ENFP. Now, let's go threw the cognitive functions.

1. - Ne
Some people say where do I see Ne in Simba. My answer: "Everywhere". The child Simba and his enthusiasm for becoming a king don't show us a Se and a ESFP ready to be a hedonist and get all the good there is for him. The excietement is just a product of his child like ENTHUSIASM, which is the second name for Ne. Ne is always trying something new. He is curious. Remember the Elephant Graveyard... As it usually goes, when somebody is a little bummed, they try to us their auxilary function, when that doesn't help there comes the last chance - the tertiary function and when someody has risen the white flag - it's the perifery function that they ask for help. Simba clearly used SI after his father's death.

2. - Fi
Having uncompromised emotions and morall values is the core for a person with Fi as their first 1st or 2nd function. He has a pretty clear Ne-Fi brain mechanism, because if he had Ne-Ti, he would have been a ENTP which is impossible. There is no sign of "T". If he had had Ti as his 2nd function, he would have easily explained to himself that it wasn't his fault that Mufasa is dead, that there is nothing he can do to try to change the past and he would move on. He has clearly got he Fi.

3.-Te
As a kid, he didn't have his 3rd and 4th functioned developed yet. That's why he was stuck with his Fi unable to shake the "guilt" off and to understand the harsh reality. I am pretty sure that not even the adult Simba understood how Te works, because he was only PRETENDING that he had moved on from his past, when he was actually thining about it all the time. He just knew how should it look like to be somebody that is carefree. He wanted to be truely carefree, but he couldn't. Because he was just been given the wrong answer to his problems (bugs aka drugs and jungle aka parties weren't a solutin for a ENxP, Ne-Fi). If anything, he may have subcontiously used the Te to make himself think that he was OK.

4. - Si
Si as the least developed function shows Simba's lack of understanding the RULES and the disgust of the thought of being put "in a cage" (when Nala makes him whant to think about how resonsible he should be). As a kid he was thrilled that he'll be a king one day, but that way pure temporary enthusiasm (Ne). Ones he realized the responsibilities and obligations that come with it, he was "running from it for so long". Si is all about "learning from past experiences" and he used everything he had not to think about them. It's Rafiki and his stick that made Simba develop his perifery function. The scene when he runs back home and says:"I'm going back!" s the moment Simba has become a fully developed, healthy ENFP.

What are your thoughts? Feel free to comment and add something.
Sorry for mistakes, Engish is not my native language and I was typing REALLY FAST!
Thank you.

·
Registered
75 Posts
Wasn't Hitler an INFJ? Just because someone wants to dominate a large group of people doesn't automatically make them an INTJ, and just because someone is an INTJ doesn't automatically make them an evil mastermind who wants to dominate everything. Plus, Hitler seemed a bit too charismatic to not have Fe.

Also, I'm not sure that Rafiki was an INFJ, although you're probably right that he wasn't an ENTP either. Could INTP be a possibility? INTPs and INFJs can often appear pretty similar, especially when placed in the role of mentor for the sake of the entertainment industry. If he was an INTP, it would make more sense for him to be mis-typed as an ENTP; INFJs and ENTPs are rarely confused, at least in my experience.

Anyway, nice list. You have good points here and support your positions well, and I agree with most of your typings.

·
Registered
186 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Why is "the Hitler thing" always so misunderstood when I talk about Scar?! The only reasons that I have mentioned Hitler here, in comparison with Scar, is becasue Walt Disney company/makers of the Lion King movie have ADMITED that Hitler was ONE OF THE inspirations for Scar. It is a fact. They have stated that. Google it, people. I didn't make it up. It is a fact, because the creators of Scars character obviously know ho did they base him on. The infamous scene where the hyenas are marching perfectly alined on a square patterned floor and Scar is watching them from a cliff/hill is inspired by Hitler watching the Nazis. The creators of the movie have said that. That is a fact.

I have stated my reasons why I think Scar is an INTJ, and, if I wasn't clear enough, I can go threw it again, function by function. Weather Hitler was an INTJ or not, this is not the place to debate it. This is a Lion King mbti thread and the only reason Hitler was mentioned on it is the on that I explained here. Although, I would be more than happy to explain my reasons of thinking that Hitler was an INTJ, on some other post.

I totally agree with you that, just because someone is an INTJ, that doesn't make him an eil mastermind. But it's an animated movie we are talking about here. No matter how ahead of it's time it is and no matter how serious it is, Lion King is an ANIMATED movie with simplyfied characters that are, by deffinition very stereotypical. I am not the one who is pro-stereotypes in any way, but I am just not blind to not notice it. The creators have put SUCH visible stereotypes, that it is IMPOSSIBLE not to see them: Mufasa (the ruler) - ENFJ, Nala and Sarabi (SJs - unfortunatelly, typical "female" roles in movies), Timon and Pumba, as well as the Hyenas (SPs - the "dumb" but funny sidekicks), Zazu (the guy that reminds us to obey the rules) -ESTJ, Rafiki (the confidant) - INFJ AND Scar (the evil, but incredibly clever antagonist - INTJ)

It's not me that made this. (I wish I did, I would've been a milionare so far lol). THe authors have put every single mbti to it's stereotypical place in a story. Why didn't they put an ISFP for a ruler, ENTP for a female, ESTP for the "evil mastermind" or an INFP as a control-freak? Because kids (the main demographic of the movie wouldn't GET it). It is possible and there are assertive ISFPs and ENTP females (me being one lol), but, the story wouldn't be so REALISTIC because it is RARE. It is EASIER to just put stereotypes and let the children get to now "who is who. Unfortunately, that is the logic behind it. It would be REALLY cool to see an ISFP as a ruler, but you would agree that it would be weird for a freakin CARTOON and it would slow down the dynamic of the story. No matter how much a crave for killing the mbti roles and gender roles, THEY JUST KEEP DOING IT, and maybe that is how a cartoon should be (kills me to say that).

As for Rafiki, let's break it down to cognitive functions:
if he is an INFJ it would be: Ni, Fe, Ti, Se
if he is an INTP it would be: Ti, Ne, Si, Fe

He deffinitely has Ti and Fe, no matter if he is an INFJ or INTP. Let's focus on the functions that these two types don't have in common. I firmly believe that Rafiki is an INFJ, because he is just SCREAMING Ni. Why? Because out of all the functions, Ni is the least in touch with concrete things and environment in a physical way. Ni is all about spirituality and taking "pieces" of the reality, "decoding" their meaning internally and putting them all together in a BIG PICTURE (all intuitives). That is visible, since Rafiki sees Simba as another part (but crutial) part in the concept of the Circle of Life. Ni brings wisdom and Rafiki deffinitely doesn't lack in that department.
If he was an INTP, his auxilary function would've been Ne. Ne is all about possibilities and experiencing NEW things, just for the SAKE of it (I am an ENTP, I know). If types with Ne dom. or aux. don't get enough variety, they will burn out. Change is like a fuel to us (ENTPs, INTPs, ENFPs, INFPs). We run on that. That makes us genious and open-minded, but scattered and spacy at the same time. Rafiki is THE DEFFINITION of the totall opposite, as he is an Judger (determined, focused and mature).
Just look at this: Simba (in his healthy, younger days) is the prototype of Ne: excietable, impulsie and child-like. (I mean, he WAS a child, but that's not the point here :D ). Rafiki doesn't have NE 4 SURE and that means that he is not an INTP.

INFJ's inferior function is Se, wich, as I said make them the LEAST materialistic type. The totall oppostite of Timon and Pumbaa, for example (ESTP and ESFP with Se dom. ).
INTP's inferior function is Fe, which would mean that they VERY rarely deal with emotions. They rarely share them and aren't that AWARE of the mood folks in their surrounding are in. They just don't feel emotions like an interpersonal thing.
That is CLEARLY not Rafiki's case, since he is well in touch with the emotions of others, as well of his own's, since Fe serves him well as his auxilary function.

That makes it: Rafiki is an INFJ (just picture Ghandi).

Thank you for your kind comments, and I would REALLY be interested in your response. So, whenever you get the chance to read this, write to me.

Kind regards,
Octopus1

·
Registered
596 Posts
It is quite incredible how public perception of character influences type as opposed to the kind of person that they really are (here I am talking only about Gandhi, seeing as you referenced him @Octopus1. I know everybody wants to think of him as a Feeler but he was a brilliant, brilliant, scheming mind. Definite Thinker that masqueraded as a Feeler. As a kid, having studied him in history books and not being much impressed, I dug deeper and the amount of manipulations perpetrated by him are well...quite eye-opening.

·
Registered
433 Posts
Scar is an ESTP people see intuition on him because of his little simple planning but it doesn't take intuition to manipulate others Scar doesn't do that much planning to me scar shows great tertiary Fe in his incredible abilities to read others with great accuracy he then manipulates them for his own gains first the Hyenas then Simba and Nala his plan of killing Mofasa didn't show intuition either for someone who's been living on the pride rock for who know how long knowing when the cattle will be gathered up there doesn't take much and the plan itself relied on him -MANIPULATING- Simba into staying in the canyon same goes for his plan for when he made Simba and Nala go to the Elephant Graveyard his inferior Ni appears in his poor ability to predict the future only an inferior Ni would've even thought of the hyenas and lions living together and his poor management in the fact that he killed of the entire land after becoming the ruler

·
Registered
271 Posts
I've seen Scar typed as an unhealthy INFj on Funkymbti blog. What do you think?

And Simba as ESFP... Maybe SE-TE loop could explain his behavior in the second movie. He is forceful, agressive, paranoid.

·
Registered
455 Posts
Simba is ENFP, that's correct. His Ne + Fi with trying to find himself and looking for possibilities to deal with his destiny and dealing with his Fi not knowing how to deal with his emotions is right. Everythings right except Timon and Pumba, Timon is ESFP and Pumba is ISFP.

·
Registered
ENTP 3w4 so/sx
2,889 Posts
I agree with all of the typings in the OP! Excellent1

1 - 9 of 9 Posts