Personality Cafe banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
just wondering if any one out there has/is suffering from depersonalization or derealization. I'm not sure if this is a personality thing or not but I'm curious to see if more people from a certain personality type tend to have this more than others. I doubt it has anything to do with personality types since it's based on situations you've dealt with but...yeah haha.
(and if you do have it, you don't have to post publicly if you don't want. but I'm always here to talk! :proud:)

·
Registered
3,421 Posts
just wondering if any one out there has/is suffering from depersonalization or derealization. I'm not sure if this is a personality thing or not but I'm curious to see if more people from a certain personality type tend to have this more than others. I doubt it has anything to do with personality types since it's based on situations you've dealt with but...yeah haha.
(and if you do have it, you don't have to post publicly if you don't want. but I'm always here to talk! :proud:)
I've experienced derealization and also depersonalization. Depersonalization does happen more often in certain personality types, like the ones who dissociate more often. Both are quite unpleasant.

·
Registered
3,421 Posts
Type, you mean MBTI? I'm an INFP ( quite sure of IN part, and most often F instead of T, but P/J seems 50/50). So the types I was referring to was not MBTI related, it was like personality disorders (like dissociative identity disorder, and borderline personality). I have a degree in psychology so that's why I thought of those. As you say the situation matters, and that's why some people with PTSD also dissociate because they've been witness to terrible things and when flashbacks happen they dissociate. Oh and I forgot to mention people who do drugs, they often dissociate as well. There are even medical conditions that cause that.

Generally the more stress anyone experiences the more likely they dissociate. I can't find the reference right now but some paper I had looked at mentioned that 25% of people experience mild dissociation (derealization, depersonalization) at some point in their life. Now you may find if you ask your friends the percentage may be lower but I think it's because people don't remember when they dissociate or else maybe they don't label it like that. In any case, it's quite common.

A mild derealization or depersonalization is interesting, for me at least. It's an unusual experience, a strange combination of both a heightened awareness, as if everything is slightly more real and at the same time also different than it used to be, and also a simultaneous lack of awareness and grounding in your usual experience of things, as if you start to lose yourself and watch yourself act as if you're a robot. When it's not just mild, it can be quite unpleasant and even frightening. A bad thing that happens is that when you become frightened, it's likely that you dissociate even more because stress is increased. So best thing is to take a deep breath and try to ground yourself (like by touching things or noting things where you are, like the floor you're standing on, etc).

Reactions: littleitaly

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
yeah I've heard some of that before. It's releaving to have reassurance though. I kind of know what dissociative and borderline are but not completely.
I've felt those sensations before, not fun. thanks so much for all the info and tips, I will follow them! :)

·
Registered
46 Posts
Wow funny because not too long ago I posted something about DR/DP in another forum :p.

So yeah, I read this article a while back saying the most common types to get DR/DP are INFPs, maybe it has something to do about us dreaming so much? And I believe the second was INFJ...But I can't quite remember.

Anyways, I have derealization, and strictly only derealization. I know DR and DP are linked, but I don't seem to get DP. Anyways, I've had it since I was nine(I am fourteen now...I'm a youngling :p.) and it is really scary for me. I know that their are cures, but none of them have worked for me...If you have any questions, just ask.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 · (Edited)
@itsdarkinside
hmm thats interesting. im almost 16 and i've had it since i was really little as well. it kind of stopped though. i finally found some way to block it from taking control of my mind. i know how scary it can be, so im sorry you have to deal with it! The less you think about it, the quicker it leaves you.. so try that.
(oh and im an esfp btw)

·
Registered
1,324 Posts
Yes I've experienced this, I am an infp, this has been discussed in the infp forum a couple different times, if you do a search you might find them, all the responses may be of help.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts