Personality Cafe banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
752 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was curious to see how some of you are distinguishing between certain functions that can correlate with some Enneagram types. The ones specifically interesting to be being an NF are as follows- (but please feel free to let me know of any other ways you distinguish other Enneagram types/functions. )

I would like to also say I know that there is much more to the Enneagram types than the similarities they show to certain functions. But I'm asking how you discern whether it's Enneagram or a function in those areas of similarity.

: Fi/E-4
: Fe/E-9

Also, if my very basic understanding is wrong that's fine just let me know. But if you've had trouble between any other functions and Enneagream 'observational-similarities' please let me know how you were able to discern between them in those specific areas too.

·
Registered
775 Posts
Gah, I had a long post get lost. Short version for now:

Fe vs 9: both involve a pull for harmony. Non-9s will resist that pull.
Fi vs 4: both involve a pull to show who you are, but a 4's image doesn't necessarily have anything to do with their personal values. And an Fi user doesn't necessarily need to see their image reflect their values.

Se vs 8 is one I struggle to distinguish. Ultimately, 8s have a much more deep-seated reaction to power shifts against them, though Se lets people react better to those power shifts.

·
Registered
223 Posts
I associate type 2 with Fe and type 7 with Ne. Maybe 1 has some correlation with Si and Te.

I find difficult to distinguish Enneatype vs MBTI functions. Supposedly MBTI explains how a person thinks and Enneagram is about motivation.

·
Registered
775 Posts
I associate type 2 with Fe and type 7 with Ne. Maybe 1 has some correlation with Si and Te.

I find difficult to distinguish Enneatype vs MBTI functions. Supposedly MBTI explains how a person thinks and Enneagram is about motivation.
Yeah, I've wondered if 2 is really the right thing to have in my tritype, or if it's just from being an INFJ. Those are hard to separate.

Ne and 7 are also difficult, but I find Ne-doms have this manic energy that 7s don't necessarily have. Like, an ESTP 7 is going to be energetic, but not quite that pure love of chaos like an Ne dom.

Enneagram really has to be a focus on motivation only. Like, 9s and Fe are both described as merging with others, and losing identity around others, and valuing group harmony. But as an INFJ 1, while I do experience those parts of Fe very strongly, I resist the harmony part more often than not. I'm too focused on making things into what I think they ought to be to listen to my Fe half the time. It softens how I come across as a 1 significantly, but it doesn't ultimately change my motivations.

·
Registered
752 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Gah, I had a long post get lost. Short version for now:

Fe vs 9: both involve a pull for harmony. Non-9s will resist that pull.
Fi vs 4: both involve a pull to show who you are, but a 4's image doesn't necessarily have anything to do with their personal values. And an Fi user doesn't necessarily need to see their image reflect their values.

Se vs 8 is one I struggle to distinguish. Ultimately, 8s have a much more deep-seated reaction to power shifts against them, though Se lets people react better to those power shifts.
Thank you very much that was super helpful. It's still however causing a line between INFJ/INFP to become a bit more ambiguous finding that I'm an e 4,9 so far. In time I think things will settle and clear up.

·
Registered
775 Posts
Thank you very much that was super helpful. It's still however causing a line between INFJ/INFP to become a bit more ambiguous finding that I'm an e 4,9 so far. In time I think things will settle and clear up.
This may be an unusual method but I find time needed to react to be a good way to tell Fi from Fe. I think you can watch Fi users process while bonding with someone, you can see a reflection going on while they try to relate to someone. The results can be even better than Fe, but there is a bit of lag. Fe is purely reactive. They see feelings in other people, they experience them themselves instantly. There's a pronounced lack of reflection. Not that Fe users can't reflect on what others experience, but they have to engage Ti for it, and it's after they experience empathy.

·
Grumpy old bastard
10,085 Posts
A side note: I'm entp 8, so I don't have troubles seeing the difference between Se and 8 (smiles...........)

You ARE a 4 or a 9. You ARE infp or infj. You ARE male or female. They are measuring different things, but there are statistical correlations. For instance men TEND to be T, women TEND to be F. There are lots of examples countering this obviously.

Reactions: Mac The Knife

·
Registered
775 Posts
A side note: I'm entp 8, so I don't have troubles seeing the difference between Se and 8 (smiles...........)

You ARE a 4 or a 9. You ARE infp or infj. You ARE male or female. They are measuring different things, but there are statistical correlations. For instance men TEND to be T, women TEND to be F. There are lots of examples countering this obviously.
ENTP 8s are the best way to tell the difference between Se and 8. Y'all seem to miss a beat when my inferior Se slips out. You don't like that shit and want no part in it, and Se doesn't fill the gaps enough to put me in my place to make me stop immediately. The ENTP 8 I was talking to awhile, I came out of that feeling like a monster. Haha.

·
Grumpy old bastard
10,085 Posts
ENTP 8s are the best way to tell the difference between Se and 8. Y'all seem to miss a beat when my inferior Se slips out. You don't like that shit and want no part in it, and Se doesn't fill the gaps enough to put me in my place to make me stop immediately. The ENTP 8 I was talking to awhile, I came out of that feeling like a monster. Haha.
I don't mind Se at all. Si when used to import rules just cuz can annoy me greatly, but Se is fine.

ESTP 8's and me see the world differently for sure. We have different focuses, and different ideas. Why did you feel a monster?

·
Registered
775 Posts
I don't mind Se at all. Si when used to import rules just cuz can annoy me greatly, but Se is fine.

ESTP 8's and me see the world differently for sure. We have different focuses, and different ideas. Why did you feel a monster?
Eh, I might be more aggressive than a typical INFJ--seems to be a thing common with the women in my family. Sx 1, plus INFJ, inferior Se.. I was extremely good at getting the ENTP 8 to open up and be vulnerable with me until he realized what had happened, then he'd freak out and run away, and then I was almost as good at getting him back (with diminishing returns). And during all of it I partially saw it as a psychological chess game. The combination of INFJ sincerity, sx push for real intimacy, and inferior Se seeing it all a bit as a game of cat and mouse, was extremely unpleasant for him, I think.

·
Grumpy old bastard
10,085 Posts
Eh, I might be more aggressive than a typical INFJ--seems to be a thing common with the women in my family. Sx 1, plus INFJ, inferior Se.. I was extremely good at getting the ENTP 8 to open up and be vulnerable with me until he realized what had happened, then he'd freak out and run away, and then I was almost as good at getting him back (with diminishing returns). And during all of it I partially saw it as a psychological chess game. The combination of INFJ sincerity, sx push for real intimacy, and inferior Se seeing it all a bit as a game of cat and mouse, was extremely unpleasant for him, I think.
I think you misunderstand inferior. Inferior means you really incredibly suck at it.

Instead, your order is N, Fe, Ti.
Mine is N, Ti, Fe.

That it is the magic of INFJ/ENTP relationships. You desire to become better at Ti. I desire to be better at Fe. We communicate easily with N, and we learn from each other safely.

I learned this from @Promethea, and she was right.....

Reactions: Mac The Knife
1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.