Personality Cafe banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What are the observable differences in ILI and IEI?

I think i have myself narrowed down to ILI (Ni-Te) or IEI (Ni-Fe) Ni-subtype at least. But i can't seem to decide between the two.

I'm awkward socially, and very withdrawn with people i don't know very well. I have a vivid, complex inner landscape (applies to both ILI and IEI). I'm interested in philosophy, such as metaphysics, epistemology and ontology, and ethics. I'm also interested in music, psychology and literature, and in my teens i was really into ancient history and videogames. I'm generally a nice person, but i feel alienated from other people, and prefer a subdued, isolated atmosphere. I'm easily moved by poetry and music. I'm a procrastinator and i have trouble keeping my apartment clean. I'm constantly stuck in my head pondering and reflecting over something. I don't care about my outward appearence, and i'll frequently wear whatever and have two different pairs of socks on.

Now, i aspire to kindness and authenticity, but also logical consistency. I really have trouble deciding between Fe or Te PoLR. I'm socially not very skilled, but i'm not a hard worker either. I'm very enticed and idulgent with my own emotional state, and i appreciate music or poetry that mirrors this state. I'm a pretty emotional person, though i value logic and consistency when debating various topics. I don't think i'm LII or EII, since i'm a very ''in the flow'' and take it as it comes person, and i'm extremely ''big-picture'' and abstract in my singular focus. LII seems to unsure of his emotions, and i'm not logical and thorough enough to be Ti-dominant and EII seems to focused on meaningful relationships and communication.

ILI seems right because i'm reclusive, and can be very judgmental and criticizing, but also precise and articulate in my discussion of various topics. IEI seems right because i'm interested in subjective and emotional subjects and ethics, and i'm pretty accepting of others and don't wish to subject them to my morals or ideals, as i feel i wouldn't like that from others.

How do i tell which type of these two i (or someone else) am? I'm pretty stumped.

·
Registered
5w6 sp/sx | 9w1 sp/sx | 3w4 sp/sx | INTJ | ILI
227 Posts
Consider the two quadras they belong to, and which one you feel more at home in.

IEI is part of the Beta Quadra

In early stages of civilization, the era of the second quadra – is an era of fierce and all overwhelming physical power that is maximally respected, – it is an era that lays down the foundations for a reliable and strong statehood and further consolidates and effectively develops it, creating authoritarian and theocratic states, mighty empires, and mega-civilizations.

From the combination of the properties of all predominant quadra traits listed above, in Beta Quadra society there arises a harsh struggle for power, for the dominant position in the system. Everyone strives upwards; all fight for the right of personal domination. Nobody wants to be on the margin or "behind" in this race. Everyone lives by the principle of "push and displace, so as not to get pushed out and displaced by others", which creates a particular kind of tension in the existence within the hierarchy. Each pulls the privileges to himself or herself, every person tries to choose a better part (and especially when the resources are rationed). Nobody wants to get passed by when "the cake is served" and deprived of the benefits and privileges. Nobody wants to be pushed away from the "feeding trough", ousted from the dominant positions – thrown off the pedestal, removed from office, unrooted from an established place, reduced in rank, forced into subservient roles, that have their own hierarchies.

Beta Quadra fears that there won't be enough "sweet cake" for all, and those expelled to the lower levels will get a "stick" instead of "cake" – punishment instead of encouragement. In the lower layers of the hierarchy people don't survive – especially the sensitive and soulful individuals, for whom words "honor" and "dignity" are not merely abstract notions, nor "empty words". Being forced to the bottom of the hierarchy means saying goodbye to one's dream and one's soul: the soul will be ruined, the dream will be spit on.
ILI is part of the Gamma Quadra

From the combination of the properties of all of the predominant traits listed above, in Gamma Quadra there arises an extremely high competition of personal business, professional, and creative initiatives, due to which Gamma Quadra also feels certain "crowdedness" – a sense of being stifled and limited in the freedom of action, in freedom of proactive creativity, of private initiative and enterprise. The initially high levels of activity with which Gamma Quadra makes every new contact and gets involved in every new and exciting venture is quickly replaced by disappointment and apathy whenever Gamma Quadra feels that they have been driven out of a project, venture or work, when they feel an indifference towards their professional abilities and talents, when they are faced with objective underestimation of their creative force and drive.

The instinct of constructive creation – is the fundamental instinct of Gamma Quadra. The ability to do something important, significant, needed – is their most important purpose. The freedom of creation is of the utmost value.

For Gamma Quadra there is no concept of "insurmountable work" or "impossible task". Due to the dominanc of evolutionary volitional sensing (+Se) and involutionary (alternative) business logic (-Te) in this quadra, all work becomes feasible – if there is a wish to take on the project (+Se↑), then any task, any chore, any assignment becomes doable, once the right technological approach to resolving the problems is found (-Te↑).

"Hunting is worse than captivity.* " If there is a desire to realize the conceived, to bring the work that has been started to its completion, Gamma Quadra can fall hostage to their own will, but they won't won't pity themselves: the awareness of the necessity to bring to completion everything that has been started vitalizes Gamma Quadra, infuses them with strength, creates a sense of purpose in life for them, fills their life with meaning: one lives to work, to act and do something significant and valued.
[*Translator's note: "Hunting is worse than captivity" - is a Russian idiom denoting taking on something difficult not from necessity but by one's own wish.]
So the core difference is that Beta types are looking for ways to better protect themselves (or others) within the group, either through sheer will, force of argument or otherwise. Gamma types, on the other hand, are simply looking, either for themselves or others, for the freedom to act without impediment, to conceive of meaningful acts of work and then follow them through.

·
Registered
1,958 Posts
I think i have myself narrowed down to ILI (Ni-Te) or IEI (Ni-Fe) Ni-subtype at least. But i can't seem to decide between the two.

I'm awkward socially, and very withdrawn with people i don't know very well. I have a vivid, complex inner landscape (applies to both ILI and IEI). I'm interested in philosophy, such as metaphysics, epistemology and ontology, and ethics. I'm also interested in music, psychology and literature, and in my teens i was really into ancient history and videogames. I'm generally a nice person, but i feel alienated from other people, and prefer a subdued, isolated atmosphere. I'm easily moved by poetry and music. I'm a procrastinator and i have trouble keeping my apartment clean. I'm constantly stuck in my head pondering and reflecting over something. I don't care about my outward appearence, and i'll frequently wear whatever and have two different pairs of socks on.
I'd actually consider a sensing type. This is very concrete reasoning. Loads of traits and no concepts.

·
Registered
1,739 Posts
Both Fe and Te are conscious for IEI and ILI, but there is a key difference here. The use of Te comes naturally enough to me, but the use of Fe (in myself or others) causes me intense anxiety. You should be able to tell if one of these causes you more consternation or a greater sense of inadequacy than the other.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I'd actually consider a sensing type. This is very concrete reasoning. Loads of traits and no concepts.
Interesting. I've tried being typed by text before, but people tell me i'm too vague and contextual in my applying of concepts when i'm being typed. I do think i'm an intuitive, as both introverted and extroverted sensing are alien to me, and i usually score extremely low on tests, whereas both introverted and extroverted intuition fit me much better, especially in how i form my thoughts and how i reflect on them, as if they're part of a web and needs to be examined further. I always have a conception of the ''whole'' and from there i delve into specifics. I wrote my post as straightforward as i could, to convey what i do, not so much how i think. Also, english is not my native language, so my writing tends to be clunky and very simple.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I'll delve into how i think and percieve then:

When reading something that triggers my thought process, i start by forming the ''essence'' of the concept in my head, sort of a tingling sensation, where my feelings and body are connected with the object, or thought. I see this essence, and i then try to exemplify or describe the parts that make up the whole. I easily understand this whole, but the parts are still muddled to me. These muddled parts can come to me at any moment, sort of ''aha!'' like. They can be triggered by for example music or poetry, or a specific concept not neccesarily linked to this particular idea. Even then, i feel like my thoughts are a ''singularity'', a determined force which subconsciously helps my conscious ideals and goals. I am a pretty outwardly lazy person, as i feel like i need time to mull over my essential feeling and goal. If my ''essence'' or ''goal'' is disturbed, i have a hard time functioning well outwardly. The reason i think i'm an introverted intuitive, and not a sensing, thinking or feeling type, is because i have a hard time explaining my thoughts, but they make total sense to me. They seem ''beyond'' language, and come to me like an indescribable power. I think this may be the reason i'm hard to type, as i really don't display myself outwardly, in text or otherwise.

·
Registered
1,958 Posts
The reason i think i'm an introverted intuitive, and not a sensing, thinking or feeling type, is because i have a hard time explaining my thoughts, but they make total sense to me.
Aushra Augusta, the founder of Socionics, was an intuitive. If she couldn't explain her thoughts, this forum section wouldn't exist lol. Luckily for us, she was a logical type and she could easily break down her thought processes to share Socionics with all of us. She even labelled everything.

sort of a tingling sensation, where my feelings and body are connected with the object, or thought.
So, Si basically? It sounds like you're very aware of your bodily sensations and you're even reacting to concepts with sensations.

I think this may be the reason i'm hard to type, as i really don't display myself outwardly, in text or otherwise.
Err... why do you consider yourself hard to type?

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Aushra Augusta, the founder of Socionics, was an intuitive. If she couldn't explain her thoughts, this forum section wouldn't exist lol. Luckily for us, she was a logical type and she could easily break down her thought processes to share Socionics with all of us. She even labelled everything.

So, Si basically? It sounds like you're very aware of your bodily sensations and you're even reacting to concepts with sensations.

Err... why do you consider yourself hard to type?
Well... It's not really a sensation, per se, more like a feeling or ''premonition''. I'm actually not very aware of my bodily sensations and needs. I will frequently forget or overlook things that need to be treated, i have for example had to go to the hospital because i simply forgot about my blood poisoning, so my leg was completely purple before i took real notice, and it was my friend who pointed it out to me. I only described the feeling as such because i found it hard to really put into concrete words. I don't think i'm Si dominant to be honest, my friend, who has tested and identified as SLI, is very aware of his own body and needs, and also how he reacts to his physical environment. He is very ''present'' even though he seems kind of in his own head. That is, he reacts and is concerned with both himself and the environment in a way that's totally alien to me. He actually helps me in some areas. The reason i picked Ni over Ne or Ti-Ne/Fi-Ne is because i have a feeling of totality, or wholeness, whenever a concept springs to mind, i only dissect it later, when the individual parts become neccessary to me. I have a sense of totality, and i will refer to temporal concepts frequently.

I've been typed multiple times, and i've been told i'm really hard to type. People usually ended up typing me ILI, IEI or LII.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #10 (Edited)
Ni versus Si

It seems to me that i heavily favor Ni over Si. I really don't use concrete experience at all to validate or gain understanding of the self and the world around me. I seek clarity and a state of wholeness, and i frequently use a sense of unity in thought to link or define concepts. I am still pretty sure i am Ni-dominant, but i would still consider LII, EII or even ILE.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Just took this test, never taken it before
Try this socionics test - ru.laser.ru

Results were:
Ne:21
Ni:27
Se:3
Si:8
Te:12
Ti:14
Fe:18
Fi:18

These results point to (from that test alone obviously) IEI, right?

The irony of typology is that the longer you spend researching and analysing your type, the more conceptions and labels you put on the system as a whole

·
Registered
1,739 Posts
Cognitive function strength tests aren't terribly useful for typing since they never come out in the right order and you can develop them through various means. At least it doesn't sound like you are an Si-ego type, though.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Are there any external traits to determine ILI from IEI, when i've got problems picking one of these types? How does the IM placement externalize themselves? I've heard that ILI's tend to be rather dry and matter-of-fact in formal discussion, but lighten up and trade jokes when with close friends or family?

·
Registered
411 Posts
The key is finding whether you prefer Fe/Ti or Te/Fi. Are you emotionally expressive? When you're emotional, is it something you feel on the inside (valuing certain items out of sentimentality, etc) or is it more focused on the external world (tearing up at movies, writing songs/poems)?

You mention you like being both ethically and logically consistent. Which one relaxes you more though? Finding philosophical or ideological resonance with people (Ti-valuing) or ethical ones (Fi-valuing)?

ILI's have Fi as their valued mobilizing function, IEI's have Ti as a mobilizing function.

·
Registered
21 Posts
I will Bump this because i have the same problem.

I am certaintly an Ni dom, but extremely empathic but also logically to a fault.
I would have thought i use Ti/Fe more, but TE polr does not match up, i read all the time and love to get my facts from empirical data, i seem to prefer ti-principles and truths though.

Allready read a shit ton of stuff this week but i still can not figure it out.

I am procrastinating a lot and it is difficult to do work for me i am not invested in, but as soon as i am motivated i do a lot, for me it feels more like a strong Ni Preference than an Te Polr.

Also, use Fe to a very high degree, but am not sure if this is natural to me.

Also i am disgusted by Beta quadra values, but seem to have them internalised, maybe i feel so threatened by them because at my heart i think they are true.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts