Personality Cafe banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello, I am new to this site! This is my first post.

It seems to be well-known on the Internet and in these sort of communities that the INTJ stereotype is that they are rational, their intelligence is higher than the average, they enjoy studying, and that they do not express emotions or eccentricities often. While I do realize that stereotypes are not usually accurate, and that everyone will be different (whether they are the same type or not), I am on the fence on whether I am an INTJ or not because of this . . . first time I took the test I got INTJ, description fit me . . . two years later I am second-guessing and getting INTP. Functions do not match with INTP though. :frustrating:

I have met two suspected INTJs in real life (one is my former English teacher who fits the stereotype very well; the other my math classmate who I think is INTx and talks very little while the rest of my table, including me, is quite talkative and hyper. He is in ninth grade and has two sophomore classes. I think he is an NT because when my classmate asked him why he doesn't talk with us much, he replied, "Because I just don't care to" and he is generally matter-of-fact).

While these two fit the stereotype quite well and are relatively quiet and have proven themselves to be very smart, a bystander would cast me as their opposite--temperament-wise and by amount of natural rationality. When I am around people I enjoy engaging with, I become very hyper and actually act quite stupid. When the ENTJ of the table attempts to speak with me about scientific topics, I can appear as though I don't care because I can't add anything to what he tells me in response. I blame this on my laziness and lack of ambition, though . . . I used to be quite well-read in science for my age, but now I am not.

I do, however, have a sharp sense of humor, and am good at connecting things and wordplay. Yet the nagging feeling that I have almost no common sense and am not really as book-smart as I used to be bothers me all the time, and I have kind of pigeonholed myself into playing the role of the ditz, around my NT-NF friends with whom I really enjoy talking to (and I think they might enjoy talking to me . . .? Haha), but that is not the only thing I want to contribute; I want to be able to engage in intellectual conversations as well, as it seems to be very one-sided right now. Oh, and I have an F in algebra two and accelerated chemistry as a junior in high school . . . How very INTJ of me. /sarcasm. Main issue here is lack of intellectualism and ambition. Just feel like there has been a year-long cloud on my brain persisting, and I don't know how to get rid of it in order to see things more clearly and succinctly. The *obvious* answer might be to read more books . . . but how do I focus in order to read them? I used to be a big reader, and now I don't know what happened.

Another thing: my functions match up with INTJ (NiTeFiSe), but my personality generally does not.

Inputting if you have any opinions on this or can clarify the causes of these discrepancies would be great.

Anyway, apologies for the Great Wall of Text. :mellow:

·
Registered
1,303 Posts
Welcome to PerC!

I can't tell if I'm getting overwhelming sense of Ne, adolescence, ADD or all three :bwink: I don't think you're an INTJ, but my opinion is not relevant to your study issues.

It's pretty difficult to get a F in school if you meet the minimum requirements.

To get a bare minimum of a C, do this:

1) Do your HW consistently.
2) Have a decent attendance record, pay attention in class, take decent notes.
3) study a bit for tests
4) submit all papers/projects ON TIME.

To get a B, add:

5) Study to understand the content sufficiently. Work with a study buddy if necessary.
6) Put adequate effort into your projects and papers. Ask for help if you're struggling.

To get an A, add:

7) Understand the subtleties in concepts. Be able to pinpoint with excellent accuracy where the logic fell apart. This is mandatory for getting an A. Without this, you won't.
8) Take practice tests (some textbooks will have them or the textbook's website will have them) or do the HW again without referring to your notes
9) Know how the teacher grades. What does he/she prioritize? Look at the syllabus to find clues and pay attention on the first day of class when the teacher will basically give you the roadmap to getting an A. Many people skip this very obvious easy step.
10) Take excellent notes.
11) If your teacher holds study sessions, attend them. Especially for exams.
12) Speak up in class and be an active participant. Clarify stuff you don't understand. Don't be afraid to be the talkative one :)

·
Registered
1,463 Posts
To be hyper is to place attention on the external world, is it not? So if that is the default state of things as opposed to occasional episodes, then you're an extravert.

You sound overwhelmingly like an ENFP though. I might have said ESFP except patterns etc tends to be N (this might be a slight stereotype/exaggeration, as though S types are incapable of metaphor etc as opposed to just being less prone to it) though Even not taking into account hyper periods, your writing style is less focused/serious/reflective than if an introvert was writing, like an INFP.

·
Registered
ENTJ; 8w7; Persian C
9,468 Posts
Perhaps - I used to sit in class (&) shake my pigtails until I got kicked out - never keen on focusing; high (Ni) can look like ADD. Although, I cannot much relate to ''acting-out,'' etc.

I was assumed to have had ADD, more than ADHD; for awhile — you could simply just have ADHD — or not be INTJ, at all. But there are, certainly, dumb INTJ's darling — but they just do not look the part. (e.g., they appear more pseudo-intellectually), than the former.

Try some medication (after seeking a diagnoses for mental malfunctions) — and see if you level.

·
Registered
10,083 Posts
Eh none of the Intjs I have known fit this description what so ever. The main one my mother can get hyper but not in the manner you describe. When she is hyper its likely tightly wound inferior Se and anxiety and like OCD.

Basically an Intj at least those I have known are often very serious (even when they are joking). They would likely be the last type I would suggest is 'ditzy'. Its almost annoying how astute and on the ball and precise they can be.

And my mother was more anti conformity hippie intj breed in many ways but her approach to rebel rousing is WAY different than how I perceive ExxPs (which like many others suggested I think you are). She uses extremely clever tactic and witt. Although she can be obnoxious in her own neurotic idiosyncrasies and quirks which I think make her a weirdo she is not into any sort of juvenile or outlandish displays overall. (Exception being when she is trying to over state her inferior Se and obnoxiously demonstrate it in a way she is oblivious makes her look dumb to any Se or Fe user who she is trying to acclimate with).

But yeah I doubt your intj. ExxP makes way more sense. I seen alot of Ne. You almost described a class clown more so than anything which resembles an intj

1 - 5 of 5 Posts