Personality Cafe banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I saw this on an ESFP thread, but couldn't post on it and whatnot. Anyways, I decided that I would get better answers from INTJs anyways. What factions do you think each type fits into? This is my decision:

INTJ: Erudite, overlaps with Amity
INTP: Erudite, overlaps with Candor
ENTJ: Erudite, overlaps with Abnegation
ENTP: Erudite, overlaps with Dauntless

INFJ: Amity, overlaps with Candor
INFP: Amity, overlaps with Abnegation
ENFJ: Amity, overlaps with Erudite
ENFP: Amity, Overlaps with Dauntless

ISTJ: Abnegation, overlaps with Erudite
ISFJ: Abnegation, overlaps with Dauntless
ESTJ: Abnegation, overlaps with Candor
ESFJ: Abnegation, overlaps with Amity

ISTP: Dauntless, overlaps with Candor
ISFP: Dauntless, overlaps with Amity
ESTP: Dauntless, overlaps with Erudite
ESFP: Dauntless, overlaps with Abnegation

·
Registered
1,385 Posts
Why do you think you'd get better answers from INTJs?
There's a thread like this in "guess the type", you're most welcome to post there as well.

About your list, in what world would ESTJ and ENTJ have anything to do with Abnegation?

·
Registered
495 Posts
Just changed some overlaps :)

INTJ: Erudite, overlaps with Candor
INTP: Erudite, overlaps with Dauntless
ENTJ: Erudite, overlaps with Candor

ISTJ: Abnegation, overlaps with Candor
ISFJ: Abnegation, overlaps with Amity

ESTP: Dauntless, overlaps with Candor
ESFP: Dauntless, overlaps with Amity

·
Registered
363 Posts
Oh, so I'm not the only one who noticed. Check out Plato's Republic. One of the oldest fictional examples of separating people by "temperament" hahahahaha it's all quite funny really.

·
Registered
357 Posts
In the divergent trilogy, members debuted into a faction when they are relatively young, sometime in their teens if I recall correctly. This means that most people will make choices while they have relatively under-developed cognitive functions, many may use only their dominant cognitive functions, and some may use their secondary/tertiaries but many will use it in a way where the primary function governs the lesser functions in an unbalanced, poorly rounded way.

​INTJs
So using that information, we are looking at Ni only, Ni+Te, and Ni+Te+Fi users for an INTJ... in most cases it will just be Ni or Ni+Te really.

When looking at the relationship of Ni with any of the factions (Erudite, Amity, Dauntless, Abnegation, Candor), a Ni-dominant user may choose any of the factions based on an extensive fascination and interest with the principles governing that faction. So you can argue that INTJs may be found in any faction. Erudite allows them to explore diverse subjects of study, Dauntless allows them to break away from traditions (in a way) and seek knowledge through exploration of the unknown, Candor may be a point of fascination for teens idolizing truth and various conceptions of objectivity, Abnegation is a bit traditional/ strictly regulated and Amity is based on something relatively simple and doesn't imply too much exploration, but either of the latter factions can be a point of fascination if the individual wants to develop an appreciation of those areas.

As for Te, I'm sleepy/too lazy to analyze that in depth, but Te could consider benefits/pragmatic factors about actually living with that faction and operating by their principals (maybe one faction serves better food and I'd be all in)... certainly each faction has pros and cons when considering pragmatics of membership.

·
Registered
734 Posts
This is some good stuff and I think you got the main factions right, but some of the 'overlap' factions were just way off.

For instance, INTJ/amity and INTP/candor. They should most likely be reversed. I'd say the same for ENTJ/ENTP.

The characters slash writing in that book were just plain bad, but I think the whole idea of a faction-based society is actually pretty cool. I'd be more interested in diving into it if the main character weren't a Mary Sue.

·
Registered
199 Posts
In the divergent trilogy, members debuted into a faction when they are relatively young, sometime in their teens if I recall correctly. This means that most people will make choices while they have relatively under-developed cognitive functions, many may use only their dominant cognitive functions, and some may use their secondary/tertiaries but many will use it in a way where the primary function governs the lesser functions in an unbalanced, poorly rounded way.

​INTJs
So using that information, we are looking at Ni only, Ni+Te, and Ni+Te+Fi users for an INTJ... in most cases it will just be Ni or Ni+Te really.

When looking at the relationship of Ni with any of the factions (Erudite, Amity, Dauntless, Abnegation, Candor), a Ni-dominant user may choose any of the factions based on an extensive fascination and interest with the principles governing that faction. So you can argue that INTJs may be found in any faction. Erudite allows them to explore diverse subjects of study, Dauntless allows them to break away from traditions (in a way) and seek knowledge through exploration of the unknown, Candor may be a point of fascination for teens idolizing truth and various conceptions of objectivity, Abnegation is a bit traditional/ strictly regulated and Amity is based on something relatively simple and doesn't imply too much exploration, but either of the latter factions can be a point of fascination if the individual wants to develop an appreciation of those areas.

As for Te, I'm sleepy/too lazy to analyze that in depth, but Te could consider benefits/pragmatic factors about actually living with that faction and operating by their principals (maybe one faction serves better food and I'd be all in)... certainly each faction has pros and cons when considering pragmatics of membership.
I'd have to agree with this, although I see most INTJ's either being in Erudite or Dauntless. I personally would choose Dauntless for myself, simply because anything else would get boring after a time, and Dauntless wouldn't.

·
Registered
289 Posts
Just changed some overlaps :)

INTJ: Erudite, overlaps with Candor
INTP: Erudite, overlaps with Dauntless
ENTJ: Erudite, overlaps with Candor
So far, I am in agreement. This fits with everyone I know of those types.

This is where I'm no longer sure I agree.

I have a few questions and a comment:
Why Candor for INFJ?
Why Erudite for ENFJ?

My sister is an ENFP and she's Amity overlapping with Abnegation. Very much so. She couldn't decide which she would pick for the longest time. Abnegation very strongly resonates with her. I just knew she wouldn't fit in the Abnegation lifestyle, despite how much she agrees with their core values. It took me a while to convince her she would be much better suited to Amity.

ISTJ: Abnegation, overlaps with Candor
ISFJ: Abnegation, overlaps with Amity
Again, I disagree with some of these. Mostly with ESTJ.

As an ESTJ, I know I'm Erudite overlapping with Candor. It took me a while to think through which of these I would actually choose or fit in better with if I lived in the world of Divergent. I might have a unique position as concerns Erudite since my father is INTP, my mother is ENTJ, and I know they would both be Erudite (Though for a while I wasn't sure if my mother would be Erudite or Candor).

That said, I do resonate with the core values of Abnegation the way my sister does. I just know I wouldn't come nearly as close to choosing it as I would Erudite or Candor. I'm wondering why SJs are supposedly such a good fit for Abnegation? It seems more like an NF trait to me, in all honesty. I get the SJ sense of duty, so I'm willing to accept this tentatively, but personally, I'm much more Erudite.

ESTP: Dauntless, overlaps with Candor
ESFP: Dauntless, overlaps with Amity
I don't actually have any comments on this, sadly.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I'd have to agree with this, although I see most INTJ's either being in Erudite or Dauntless. I personally would choose Dauntless for myself, simply because anything else would get boring after a time, and Dauntless wouldn't.
You're right. Because I'm an Intj and I got sorted into the Dauntless faction. Clearly Dauntless questions everything at least we see that through Four and I believe I'd fit well with them as well as Erudite.

·
Registered
INTJ-A
1,572 Posts
Not something I would spend a lot of time really considering, but have done a couple of the little sorting quizzes and always end up with Erudite. That said, activities and passions in my life tend to be a bit more risk-taking than studious.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts