Personality Cafe banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
How many of you guys enjoy DIY projects? or moreso would enjoy being to make everything yourself. Personally, my life's dream is to make a car from scratch in my garage. Currently, researching info on building a waste oil furnace so I can make cast wheels and other components. Anyone else out there interested in stuff like that?

·
Registered
1,615 Posts
I think those projects are interesting, but it's hard to have the drive to complete them yourself. I guess they would be more fun if they were DIWO (Do it with others).

There are so many little details with them that it can be easy to lose interest, also. I also prefer to have a sensor around when making stuff from scratch, unless it's something simple and I enjoy immensely (like baking). They tend to get the little parts better than I do.

·
Banned
4,611 Posts
That's awesome! I suppose you could say I'm into this, but my projects are way less ambitious -- stuff like making a hutch for my desk, making my own curtains, etc.

·
QUEEN PEEN
9,303 Posts
I'll do something like that every now and then, but for the most part, I'm wayyyy too lazy :p

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 · (Edited)
Well I tell you what, I just got put on Adderall and I feel as if I could crack the sky and invite god down for brunch. At least when I take two or three, I'm still on these measly 10mg dosage test pills

·
Registered
3,783 Posts
This is how it usually goes:

"This would be so easy and fun! And I want to know I can do it myself and not have to rely on anyone! Why would I ever pay someone to do something I can do myself?! This is going to be great!"

...after a few weeks, days, hours, seconds...

"This is stupid. I don't even care."

·
Registered
2,045 Posts
What's wrong with the pay-people-to-do-stuff-for-you lifestyle?

Reactions: NaughyChimp

·
Registered
428 Posts
I do this on a smaller scale. I have taught myself to knit and crochet (I haven't done this in awhile though, don't have the time at the moment with college and stuff). I've crocheted several blankets, caps, and I've knitted scarves and next I want to learn gloves. I must say, I love using the stuff I've done because it's more fitted to me, and the material I pick is less scratchy than store bought. Do it yourself outerwear is so much more fun, and there's a weird satisfaction with thinking "hey, I MADE this." Plus it's insanely cheap. I've made 4 caps using one $2.99 ball of yarn (on sale from regular price of like $5 of course).

I grow tomatoes and vegetables so I don't have to constantly buy, especially in the spring/summer months. Plus they taste SO MUCH better than the stuff you buy at the store, and it's cheaper than the farmer's market.

But I don't know about bigger scale projects. :\ I get too worried I'm going to screw it up. My secret dream has always been to make my own kitchen table, and perhaps other furniture too if that went well, but I don't know where to even begin to learn.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts