Personality Cafe banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
2,951 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have recently bought one of them DNA tests and I have to confess I really enjoy playing with my raw data, and looking at all the different genes and what they do. If nothing else, it's rekindled my interest in Biology, and that's a good thing in my book.

However, I have come across several people who have ethical/security issues with it. So what's your opinion? Is DNA testing attractive to you? Would you be interested in knowing more about your heritage/health risks? Or are you concerned about data privacy or even worse a Gattaca-like dystopia becoming our reality?

P.S. I am aware the Ancestry/Health results have a low degree of confidence, and/or are approximate.

·
Registered
5,571 Posts
I have recently bought one of them DNA tests and I have to confess I really enjoy playing with my raw data, and looking at all the different genes and what they do. If nothing else, it's rekindled my interest in Biology, and that's a good thing in my book.

However, I have come across several people who have ethical/security issues with it. So what's your opinion? Is DNA testing attractive to you? Would you be interested in knowing more about your heritage/health risks? Or are you concerned about data privacy or even worse a Gattaca-like dystopia becoming our reality?

P.S. I am aware the Ancestry/Health results have a low degree of confidence, and/or are approximate.
It really depends on the circumstances. Personal kits for one's own purposes or medical reasons are fine. Corporations/governments/other third parties doing it? No.

Reactions: Aridela

·
Registered
5,428 Posts
Nope, not interested, and I don't know how it works so I'd have no way of knowing how reliable the results would be, which would make the results rather meaningless to me. I don't have any specific security objections, but in general it's probably a best practice to minimize the personal information that corporations have.

·
Registered
ENFP 6w7 I guess
1,531 Posts
My dad and my aunt(mom's sister) both did those tests so I just go by their results instead of spending money and sending my own DNA for some corporation to do who knows what with lol.

My dad got like .1% West African and I'm not gonna lie, I felt like this for a few days after finding that out.

Screen Shot 2019-06-27 at 6.32.26 PM.jpg

·
Banned
3,344 Posts
Never bought into this fad like with many others that prey on stupid people, always been suspicious of biometrics related shit.

I haven't watched Gattaca but google is already building a dystopian hi-tech surveillance city in Toronto. Welcome to the Goolag.

If you aren't paying for it, you are the product.
And sometimes you might even pay to become a slave.

Data is money, in the privatized surveillance police state.

·
Registered
17,166 Posts
Looks like its already an elaborate means of tracking down people which brings up ethical issues to it's use. For example some cold cases have been solved by tracking down the killer through their relatives DNA.
Such a capacity to track people down without needing their particular DNA gives a wide breadth to tracking and perhaps monitoring folks that could be quite easily used to nefarious ends.

Also a bit wary of how genetic research is going to be implicated the legitimacy of race debates again as medical companies start advertising genetically individualized treatment.

9,999 Posts
Apart from security worries, my DNA is probably uninteresting anyway - we know we've been inbreeding up North for untold generations. I am literally the first of my name to venture further than 50 miles from where I was born.

·
Registered
2,951 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
It really depends on the circumstances. Personal kits for one's own purposes or medical reasons are fine. Corporations/governments/other third parties doing it? No.
I'm referring to a personal kit.

Not that bothered about my ancestry, although it was cool to confirm I'm as much of a mutt as I thought I was.

More interested in my actual genomic data for medical/gene expression purposes. I mean I know empirically I am lactose intolerant and carry the ginger gene, but it was cool to see the genes responsible are actually there. Of course it's a cheap-o DNA test so they can't offer you your complete DNA sequencing, but it was still cool to play around with.

·
Registered
2,951 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Nope, not interested, and I don't know how it works so I'd have no way of knowing how reliable the results would be, which would make the results rather meaningless to me. I don't have any specific security objections, but in general it's probably a best practice to minimize the personal information that corporations have.
Ancestry wise they're not very reliable.

The confidence level is automatically set to 50 % which is hilarious, but people buy into it regardless.

Like I said I was more interested in the health/gene expression data.

·
Registered
2,951 Posts
Discussion Starter #11 (Edited)
Never bought into this fad like with many others that prey on stupid people, always been suspicious of biometrics related shit.

I haven't watched Gattaca but google is already building a dystopian hi-tech surveillance city in Toronto. Welcome to the Goolag.

If you aren't paying for it, you are the product.
And sometimes you might even pay to become a slave.

Data is money, in the privatized surveillance police state.
There're two ways to go about it.

Use Google or Duck Duck Go.

I bet the government can still trace your data.

I reckon it's going to be the same with DNA data before long. Data sharing ethics was a big consideration for me too, especially seeing I work with other people's data and I know for a fact not all of it was gathered with their full informed consent. The laws are trying to catch up with technology but it's still uncharted territory out there.

@Wellsy The way I see it, I'd rather know what I'm dealing with and be ahead of the curve, rather than play it safe and end up unwittingly sharing my data anyway via a third party (i.e. there was a big scandal a few years back about the NHS sharing patient data with third parties, such as health insurance companies).

The only way to stay safe is to go off the grid. Else they'll get you if they really want to.

·
Not a Robot
2,150 Posts
I never liked the idea solely because I’m sure the info would eventually be sold to insurance companies, and it would be used to deny coverage. That, or someone would find a way to steal and exploit it. For personal use though, I think it would be pretty fun.

·
Banned
3,344 Posts
There're two ways to go about it.

Use Google or Duck Duck Go.

I bet the government can still trace your data.

I reckon it's going to be the same with DNA data before long. Data sharing ethics was a big consideration for me too, especially seeing I work with other people's data and I know for a fact not all of it was gathered with their full informed consent. The laws are trying to catch up with technology but it's still uncharted territory out there.
I've been using ixquick ever since scroogle was shut down, as well as Tor. Sure they can probably unencrypt it if they really wanted to but they don't have the resources to do that on a large scale, your data will be safe for decades to come still, and even if there's progress in quantum computing we can still outpace them.

Regarding the DNA data, they are already harvesting it. You are guilty until proven innocent and soon you're just guilty until proven guilty.
https://splinternews.com/cops-are-asking-ancestry-com-and-23andme-for-their-cust-1793851927

·
Registered
55 Posts
I have some doubts about the security of the information with companies like 23andme and Ancestry.com, but the main reasons I haven't joined yet are 1) I know the results of relatives that have been tested and I know my genealogy relatively well, and 2) I doubt the accuracy of the health information at the current time and wouldn't want to get possibly negative information that could cause needless concern and anxiety.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts