Personality Cafe banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm just going to leave this Question while you guys debate the answer. I just thought it was funny to write such a paradox like this. XD (don't worry, Daydreaming counts). To those who can't dream, please fill your valid reason why?

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
To be honest? Shit and giggles. XD
But I guess I wonder if people like us that are categorized as "The Dreamers" Truly dream about anything of interest. Like, I don't really dream much by night, and other then the occasional fantasizing while reading/watching something I don't really know if I truely try to imagine myself into the situation as much as I should... That's my guess at least.

·
Registered
240 Posts
Daydream yes. Dreaming when I sleep sometimes, but they're too personal to share.

I tend to daydream when listening to music. There are a few artists, albums and songs that will help me to completely space out. Devin Townsend is the best for it, anything with raw feeling and multiple layers to the sound. It can be about something completely banal like what will I do when I get back from lectures, how will dinner taste etc. Or something more complex. A common one is "what would be the long term results my being hit by that oncoming car?" where I'll go through a series of scenes that I'll inevitably cut short because they're a little too miserable.

A lot of the time, though, it's kind of a mental place holder, the start of a picture that will become more detailed as I maintain it. Examples are my room, my study, a certain bookshop, parks I frequent and so on.

Reactions: leoni

·
Registered
13 Posts
As an INFP who has actually thought about this as well, I can say that I don't actually think I "dream" very often either. I also don't think of myself as imaginative very often, but I have my days.
I often feel like maybe I'm an odd INFP out because of this fact also... Especially reading on "famous" INFP's.
I feel like some of the INFP authors must have a whole other world inside their mind, but I, on the other hand, do not. I tend to rationalize everything, but enjoy "what if's"...
So, I definitely was surprised to see this topic. Even the name of our personality type feels contradictory to myself. But I have noticed INFP are very contradictory in general so I don't put much cents into it.
Then I think, "maybe it is just a phase?" I used to be much more imaginative and was a spot-on NF child. But it seems the past few years have been less in my head and more me trying to learn how to socialize and made me live more outside my head than inside.
I almost feel empty when I realize this. I used to feel much more depressed and lonely, but I also felt more content with myself. Such a strange thing to say.
Wow, that turned out to be a huge rant.
But I do still have incredibly long vivid story-like dreams...but I don't do any actual dreaming very often.

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
As an INFP who has actually thought about this as well, I can say that I don't actually think I "dream" very often either. I also don't think of myself as imaginative very often, but I have my days.
I often feel like maybe I'm an odd INFP out because of this fact also... Especially reading on "famous" INFP's.
I feel like some of the INFP authors must have a whole other world inside their mind, but I, on the other hand, do not. I tend to rationalize everything, but enjoy "what if's"...
So, I definitely was surprised to see this topic. Even the name of our personality type feels contradictory to myself. But I have noticed INFP are very contradictory in general so I don't put much cents into it.
Then I think, "maybe it is just a phase?" I used to be much more imaginative and was a spot-on NF child. But it seems the past few years have been less in my head and more me trying to learn how to socialize and made me live more outside my head than inside.
I almost feel empty when I realize this. I used to feel much more depressed and lonely, but I also felt more content with myself. Such a strange thing to say.
Wow, that turned out to be a huge rant.
But I do still have incredibly long vivid story-like dreams...but I don't do any actual dreaming very often.
Interesting idea. I'm sure we'll have our moment where our dreams will finally be more prominent in our lives, or maybe they do have some significance in our actions, we probably just don't realize it. Dreams are a somewhat unreal and mysterious thing to comprehend.

·
Registered
78 Posts
Daydreaming serves as my escape from worries/stress of life. It also serves as motivation and fuel to keep going.

·
Registered
2,834 Posts
I like to look at properties and homes that are for sale. I dream about one day owning my own home and business.

In fact, yesterday I called a realtor and talked to him about a restaurant that was for sale. I also told him that I plan on opening a restaurant.

I am not even close to achieving these goals, but it's fun to dream and pretend that you're somebody else....for a few minutes, at least.

·
Registered
568 Posts
Everyone dreams.
We are called dreamers because, as intuitives, we are lost in the world of thought a lot. And, unlike the thinkers, our thoughts are more romantically charged, which I guess makes us more dreamy.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts