Personality Cafe banner

Do ALL ESFPs dislike reading?

[ESFP] 
17K views 65 replies 42 participants last post by  melody5697 
#1 ·
I read that ESFPs dislike reading. Is that ALWAYS true? Or are there ESFPs who LIKE to read? I'm asking because somebody thinks my personality type is ESFP (but I don't usually act like it because bad stuff happened and my parents are autistic) but I've loved reading ever since I figured out how to read when I was four. I also read that they don't like science fiction, but I really like Doctor Who. None of this was in the description of ESFP on 16 Personalities. Is it true? Sorry if this is the wrong section.

#3 ·
Perhaps they prefer practical things. Things that could be of use to them. As for me, I love reading science fiction but lately I've been mingling around the self-help books sections on software and design. Romance novels leaves me cold. Perhaps I had devoured too much of them throughout my early life. Now whenever I look at them, I think, "I could write my own romantic story when I'm old, but in the meantime I want to build my own website.."

Reactions: MNiS
#11 ·
My sister is an ESFP and she doesn't like reading at all. She gets bored too easily, it's very difficult to keep her entertained for a long time, her attention spam is too short.

She likes activities that don't require much imagination stimuli, like activities where different things keep happening and you don't need to think much to do them.

She's young though, so her only quite developed function is Se.

Reactions: aendern
#14 · (Edited)
No. There's not a single ESFP on this planet who likes to read, because ESFPs aren't nerds. No Doctor Who allowed either.

To answer seriously, I don't think of Doctor Who as a show that ESFPs are generally going to be attracted to. I've also never thought of ESFPs as being big readers. That doesn't mean you aren't an ESFP. ESTPs aren't supposed to have any interest at all in the conceptual or "book learning", if you were getting all of your information from an online description, but I have a book by a famous theoretical physicist on the shelf next to me.

Read the mechanics behind ESFP as a type and decide whether or not it fits you. Don't sweat which stereotypes you do and don't fit, those are irrelevant.

#27 ·
yes, no.

I watch Doctor Who, and I love the fandom. But I stopped watching cause it got pretty boring and generic. A lot of my friends who are ESFPs like Doctor Who too. So it depends.

I do love reading, but I hate reading. Well here's the thing, thinking about reading a book disgusts me. But when I actually sit down and read up a good book, I do love it. But it's been years since I actually finished a book. God knows how many books I have that I haven't finish reading.

On the internet, I usually skim through long posts. Sometimes I leave reading material or threads in multiple tabs, but never find myself reading them. And end up deleting every tab.

#19 ·
That's how I feel about reading, too.

I would rather do anything but read.

But, hey, actually, I spend upwards of 10 hours on the internet reading every single day.

But with books it's different. Books are useless.

I guess what I'm saying is I like

1. Interaction with the content I'm reading
2. Other people to be there interacting with me.

There's no Te in reading books. It's a vacuum. You're alone with the words. So damn boring--especially if it's non-fiction. Yuck.

Some rare books, though, actually improve your life and can be useful to you to read. I have probably read those books already, though.

#17 ·
I love reading but I must admit I spend a lot more time reading posts on the internet than I do actual books. I also find myself reading a lot of graphic novels these days. I s'pose the problem with proper books is the attention span needed. ESFPs can only read fast paced books. If a book takes a long time to get going or if there is a lull part way through, we'll end up doing something other than finishing it.

#18 ·
How to address this...? The best way I can think of for myself would be to answer this both yes and no. I LOVE reading when it's a good book than can hold my attention and has a touch of fantasy to it (my favorite author is Neil Gaiman, if that helps you understand). I can throw down on a good book that is entertaining and fast-paced and a nice break from reality. But when it comes to reading slow moving things or something that is long and I feel like I get the gist... just now. For instance I did not read the entire initial post. I read the first sentence and the last because I already knew what I was going to say. Reading can be one of the best things ever so long as my mind isn't working ahead of the text and it grants me a break from reality on the rare occasions that I need that (when under stress). I really hope that makes sense.

If you like reading I highly recommend "Good Omens", "Neverwhere", "American Gods" and "The Ocean at the End of the Lane" by Neil Gaiman and "Tigana" by Guy Gavriel Kay. Oh, and "Picture of Dorian Grey" by Oscar Wilde (except for that agonizing chapter where he goes on and on about tapestries and bragging about how cultural he is.

#21 ·
High five fellow ESFP!

I LOOOOOOOOVE reading fantasy books that are heavy on descriptions, battles etc. Conan, Warhammer, Silmarillion, that kind of thing.

And say it with me:

"Those descriptions/stereotypes are the equivalent of someone wiping their arse full of shit after taking a massive dump then mixing it with donkey turbo turds and plastering it sll over the wall! FUUUUUUCK! them."

(I have a talent for that don't I?)

edit: (came to my senses) I HATE reading "Introduction to organic chemisty" or "Theory of fields 1". Really O.O ?

Reactions: Amy
#22 ·
Coming from another ESFP, I dislike reading very, very much and find it torture. I literally cannot stand to read 2 words out of books. That's just my opinion aha. xD

#30 ·
Interests/hobbies don't really have a lot to do with our motivations and our individual worldviews.

So, in short, there will be ESFPs who love reading, who hate it, and who are rather neutral about it. You'll doubtlessly find all kinds. And what they're reading will differ as well.

I think this is especially obvious when you compare past trends to present ones. Think about people in the 1800 - 1900s, most that were privileged enough to be cultured and educated-- If you could read, then you were a reader. No matter what your personality type was. Liking or disliking it never really fit into the equation, as I understand it. Education was more appreciated back then.

Nowadays, I think you will find that no matter what personality type you look into, you'll find people who like reading, and dislike reading-- Even the intuitives and thinkers. It's a shame how our priorities have shifted over time.

#39 ·
Reactions: Word Dispenser
#35 ·
No,they don't.ESFPs last function is Intuition that's why they are both not very interested or good at abstract stuff,Like reading.But if they improve there Intuitive side,They will enjoy reading.

The same goes for all types.Like an ISFPs last function is Thinking but if they improve there Thinking side.They will be better at it.

#38 ·
I disagree. I have always loved reading. I feel that reading is one place where my lack of iNtuition doesn't matter so much (unless what I am reading is really airy-faerie). Reading, especially fiction, is great for ESFPs because we like to be entertained; we love to be told a story. We may take a little longer than others at times to read the same book, but there is no real reason that we should not enjoy it. It just, means we do not have to go looking for our next source of entertainment so soon.

Underdeveloped ESFPs may find the task daunting, however. I remember reading my first 400-page book after protesting for years to do so. The rest of my family were adamant that it was a great book, but I couldn't imagine spending so long to read something. That might take FOREVER. But then I bit the bullet, and as soon as I began to read, I could not put the book down. Since then I have devoured books, and, in fact, have a low opinion of anyone adverse to reading.

#41 ·
I love reading! I really like Kurt Vonnegut and Arthur Miller, and currently have a huge stack of scripts on my bedstand that I borrowed from the theatre professor at the local college. I'm also reading The Count of Monte Cristo right now! It's really great, but I've gotta read it in sprints or I get tired of it.

#43 ·
God, no. Several of the ESFPs I know best love reading! One of them has loved books since she was very little, she majored in literature and theater, and she now works in publishing and entertainment. She's one of the brightest people I've ever known. (As in, her IQ is off the charts.) She's also an extremely talented poet. (Poetry is not my thing but I've always liked hers. It's really, really good.) The same for another ESFP I know. He's extremely bright and among many things he loves to do, reading is way up there. He's a teacher and loves to share what he learns with others, especially young people. Both of these ESFPs do, in fact.

#44 ·
I love to read! I read as much as possible... more during the winter than during the summer, when I'm busy with gardens and am too tired to read. Also, I belong to a book club and enjoy going to the meetings to discuss the books.
Reading is awesome. It takes me to different worlds and different places and different times. It gives me other ways of viewing the world.

Reactions: VinnieBob and Amy
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.