Personality Cafe banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
1,085 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I've noticed that every time I'm upset, my emotions always come out as frustration. Angry, sad, depressed. In the end, all this really ends up amounting to is frustration. Do you experience negative emotions in a similar way?

·
Registered
1,133 Posts
Yes--because I'm frustrated that I'm feeling a negative emotion in the first place. I'm frustrated that such an emotion is impeding my ability to see things rationally and that I can't explain or show how I'm actually feeling and would prefer to be treated.

·
Registered
672 Posts
Yes. Was once misinterpreted as aggression by an old boss.

Reactions: CrabHammer

·
Registered
1,085 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I guess my main concern is that there has to be a much wider spectrum of emotion to experience right? I seems like it would be easier to deal with bad feelings if I could actually identify them, and not just end up frustrated all the time. :confused:

·
Registered
672 Posts
I seems like it would be easier to deal with bad feelings if I could actually identify them, and not just end up frustrated all the time. :confused:
Omigosh absolutely. When I went through adolescence, I went through such a raft of emotions and the worst thing about it is was I couldn't explain what was wrong, because I didn't understand the emotions I was feeling myself. My adolescence was probably the same as any normal teenager, but I do remember 6 months in particular that were torrid.

I was a timid goose at the time, but there was a shrink at college who was simply wonderful. I never got a chance to thank her, one of my big regrets, and she sent me a letter when I left college (end of adolescence, whilst I got my head together). Basically, she made me feel I shouldn't be afraid to feel. I only saw her twice, but my emotions were so tightly bottled, with no outlet or very close friends, I went off like a bottle of shaken soda.

Even now, I have no proper outlet, and I must sound like a raving mad woman when I go "off on one". But I least I express it now, which I never did when I was 17. And somehow I think I'm better for it. Maybe I'll never understand why I react the way I do when a particular situation makes me mad or excited. The colder emotions, such as fear, worry, uncertainty, the stuff that you may only see in a person's face, make me totally clam up. I can't think straight. And that gets me more worked up and fearful. If I can get a grip on these emotions I will be very happy. I can just about control the aggressive outlet, by the grace of God.

·
Registered
181 Posts
fustration is the only emotion i really can't handle. I lose it, over insignificant shit. Some horrible event could happen that changes my life for the worse, but I won't get mad about that, i'll get mad about knocking over a drink that I was trying really had not to knock over. I scream and shout and smash things when I get frustrated, or punch walls and doors and furniture. Maybe I just save up all my anger until something completely not worth bothering about happens.

·
Registered
6 Posts
fustration is the only emotion i really can't handle. I lose it, over insignificant shit. Some horrible event could happen that changes my life for the worse, but I won't get mad about that, i'll get mad about knocking over a drink that I was trying really had not to knock over. I scream and shout and smash things when I get frustrated, or punch walls and doors and furniture. Maybe I just save up all my anger until something completely not worth bothering about happens.
Can I say I know exactly how you feel in regards to losing it? Just today, I was supposed to have the day off; as well as tomorrow. The whole weekend! I work as a tech in pharmaceuticals. I have to deal with the general public. THE GENERAL PUBLIC! On a daily basis.:crying:
I was sitting at home recharging my batteries after dealing with pissy people for five days in a row, and my phone rings. I make the mistake of answering the phone and next thing I know, I have to go in at three. I was PISSED/FRUSTRATED/DEPRESSED. But I threw some shit around the room. (Little shit, nothing large, damaging, or expensive.) and then took a two hour nap and dragged my ass through my 3 - 11 shift. And now I have tomorrow off. I am now content.:proud:
Though that's still 1 day off instead of two in row...

·
Registered
988 Posts
What you stated is generally true; my negative emotions generally manifest as frustration, although all my position emotions eventually end up as that, too. I just lost all the information in my USB due to a formatting error yesterday, and all I can say is that I was completely shaken by the event. However, the emotion just ended up to be extremely deep, major frustration until I retrieved some of the data and felt a little happy. Then I realized that I only retrieved around 30 percent and quickly became frustrated again, both at the poor results and the big grin on my face.

·
Registered
1,046 Posts
I'm not sure if all of my negative emotions end up as frustration, but I think most of them are rooted in it.

Are we prone to being quick-tempered?
in general, I don't think I am, but there are certain things that push my buttons. instant rage results.

·
Banned
1,815 Posts
Do you find handling your emotions to be difficult? When you get upset do you feel out of control and unable to think rationally (not in an angry way, more of a sad, really vulnerable way)? This is definitely my greatest weakness. I am learning to deal better with my emotions with age, but it is still a struggle. Are INTPs prone to this kind of neuroticism?

·
Registered
988 Posts
Perhaps. Our undeveloped Fe may be our weak spot. :sad:

·
Registered
1,046 Posts
Do you find handling your emotions to be difficult? When you get upset do you feel out of control and unable to think rationally (not in an angry way, more of a sad, really vulnerable way)? This is definitely my greatest weakness. I am learning to deal better with my emotions with age, but it is still a struggle. Are INTPs prone to this kind of neuroticism?
I feel squirmy just trying to think of how to answer "do you find handling your emotions to be difficult". :s I don't know what it even means.
I've found that sometimes I feel sad or upset about things and have no idea how to handle it except feel it until I'm too tired to feel it anymore and it runs out. but if someone sees me when I'm in the middle of it and asks me if I'm okay, I don't know how to answer. if the reason they are asking is because they can tell something is wrong, it makes me feel worse and frustrated to have to try to answer. do they expect me to lie and say "I'm fine" when the only reason they're asking is because they can tell I'm not fine? that makes no sense! and I can't do it. but I don't know what to say--maybe I am not even sure what is wrong or what I am feeling. but saying "I don't know" seems to make the person upset with me, like they think I'm purposely being difficult, or I don't know why they get miffed. and that makes me feel misunderstood and adds to my sadness/frustration/whatever.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts