Personality Cafe banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys.

Having a real tough time (like a lot of people!) finding work since graduating uni last summer. I have, however, fell back into acting - managing to get some decent professional jobs, but it is also so difficult, expensive, competitive and frustrating at times - so I'm looking at it as a hobby. If I could get by as an actor in terms of making money, it would be perfect, its so therapeutic, and the ability to bounce from character to character always keeps things fresh and allows me to momentarily forget about my own worries.

I was just wondering if anyone here has been somewhat successful in acting as a career?

Cheers :)

·
Registered
145 Posts
I haven't, but my dad has done a few things. He doesn't make a living from being just an actor, he pretty much almost never acts anymore. He was mostly in plays and a couple of commercials and things, no big deal.
But he works with a theatre company doing all sorts of things. Writing, directing, stage stuff, research, whatever.
He's sortof a jack of all trades.
So that's how he makes his money full-time!

·
Registered
634 Posts
It's doable. I lived in Orlando and 'acted' in the theme parks for a living for a while. It especially helps if you have other skills such as dance or stunt ability. My bro has worked at nearly every theme park and makes a decent living. I'm an INFP so I simply couldn't stick with it.

·
Registered
139 Posts
Hmm. I'm not sure about how actors are paid in the UK, but it's really tough to squeak out a living in the US. At least it was for me when I did it. Your idea of acting as a side job is actually a pretty good one--I know very few people who can afford to act without working as a waiter, bartender, anything else that gets the bills paid. Not to say you couldn't do it, though. I think it depends on where you want to work and also what you're willing to put yourself through. Commercial, soul-crushing jobs are where the real money is. I made way more doing commercials for pasta sauce or working on mind-numbing children's musicals than doing stage readings of new, cutting edge plays or really artsy, inspiring works with characters I could sink my teeth into. If the work isn't rewarding, it makes it more difficult facing the rejection, getting up a 6am for the cattle calls, taking classes, keeping a current CV and headshots, etc. Unfortunately, working on fulfilling material makes it difficult to pay the rent and eat more than one meal a day...:sad:

Again, I don't mean to say you can't make it happen, especially if you're willing to at least work part time at something else. And like I said, I don't know what the comparison between wages for actors in the UK are compared to the US, so I can't really say for certain either way (though I'd imagine they're somewhat comparable).

If it's your dream, go for it. You'll regret never trying more than anything else. :happy:

·
Registered
189 Posts
I am currently a student of acting. I have studied for two years now and am hoping to get accepted to a school in Vasa, Finland next term. If not I am going to start taking regular jobs (and acting jobs if I find any), keeping up my acting training in terms of elementary training, emotions, energy, voicetraining and psycial training on the side, save up money to hopefully being able to travel abroad for schools and/or acting jobs in a year or two.

I am most definitely not competitive. But I don't see why you need to be competitive to be a professional actor. There are many successful actors out there who are not. You just need to focus on yourself, keep going to auditions and never give up. If it's something you really enjoy I don't see why you couldn't be a professional actor. Taking regular jobs is something every actor needs to do from the beginning and every now and then. Some are lucky and only need regular jobs for a few years, others could go at it for 10-15-20 years. But it's not hard going to auditions. You could get a job you really like and just take acting gigs whenever you get the opportunity, and one day you'll be able to make a living out of it.

It's tough, yes, but you need to be quite naive really. Acting gigs normally start coming to you after quite a few years, 5 years at least. But if you can't pull it as an actor, you could always become an acting teacher, we always need those. There are always courses scattered around the world, exploring acting and different styles, you could participate in whenever you got the money.
Personally I won't compromise. If I fail, I failed but I tried. I will walk my way, doing stuff and projects that really interests me. I'll continue taking regular jobs, searching for acting gigs, and hope for the best. In the end, that's all you can do. But look at say, Johnny Depp, he chose to walk his own way, not go for commercial parts, and he made it real good in the end. It's all about a whole lot of luck, but with a mind of never quitting. We work in a world where the people decide if you get the job or not. If people know you and you're good, you'll get jobs handed to you. That's when you can make a living out of it. Until then, there are auditions and the hope that you will get the part. But really, you got nothing to lose. You go to auditions with nothing, if you didn't get the part, you'll walk out the same, with nothing. The other option is, you walk out with the job. You only have something to gain. The same with making money. If you try making money as an actor you start off with "not making any money". You could walk off the same as "not making any money", or you could walk off with "making money".

Just make an effort, and if, after say 15 years, you feel like quitting, you have tried, failed, but gained a whole lot of experiences, and you can be proud of yourself. But mind this, going to auditions, taking acting gigs here and there in the hope for becoming a professional actor, is much the same as having acting as a hobby. Just more intense.
Just do what you feel like doing. If you feel like going for professional, do that. If you feel like having it as a hobby, do it. You could always go for professional in the future. Or you could get lucky and get an opportunity for professionalism when you have it as a hobby. Life normally work in strange ways.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts