Personality Cafe banner
21 - 40 of 54 Posts

·
Registered
616 Posts
Sometimes I almost convince myself that I have superhuman powers and that I do not require the basic human needs of touch and interaction. For - increasingly lengthy - periods of time, I can convince myself that my thoughts are all the company I need.

I can survive for a long time in this mindset. But in the end I'm not superhuman, and after a month of isolation ("I'm awesome! I need no one!") the reality of being human crashes down on me. And the longer I survive alone, convinced of my abilities - the more devastating the crash.

And it always happens - after a week, a month, several months - it always happens. I realize I need people. Damn it!:frustrating:

·
Registered
3 Posts
I feel like that all the time...I thought "Maybe I'm just weird, and I should interact with the world around me!"
Then it's like...nah, people suck. But its like everyone's a completely different species and I can't even have a conversation with anyone. So yeah...definately know the feeling haha

·
Registered
438 Posts
Yes, I feel like no one gets me. It takes great effort to to expres my intention or point of view. By the time I get to making my point conversation has moved on. I live in my own private universe and view the world with dismay.I ask how many of you INTPs can see an outcome and regardless of your best efforts to explain no one else can see it or believes till it eventuates. Fucking frustrating. I plug the ipod in in the morning on my way to work and take it out when i return. Not much of an effort. My cats get me.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Hello everyone. I am obsessed with personality so I went ahead and joined the forum after months of 'lurking.'

You know, sometimes I feel disconnected, but not very alienated...if that makes sense. I mean, I have friends, I go out, I laugh and joke around...but then I get frustrated and need to be by myself again. Sometimes I disappear for wide amounts of time and my peeps can't track me down. Large amounts of people simply get on my nerves after awhile, even if I do know them personally. So feeling alienated would imply that I actually care about being an integral part of society, when really I just prefer my own space and independence 75% of the time.

·
Registered
545 Posts
Yes, I feel like no one gets me. It takes great effort to to expres my intention or point of view. By the time I get to making my point conversation has moved on. I live in my own private universe and view the world with dismay.I ask how many of you INTPs can see an outcome and regardless of your best efforts to explain no one else can see it or believes till it eventuates. Fucking frustrating. I plug the ipod in in the morning on my way to work and take it out when i return. Not much of an effort. My cats get me.
your cats will be dead soon. try and be more decisive and start making ur point. refine it as ur saying it. think on ur feet....also try and trust people and feel more connected to them.....we r all the same essentially...all of your fears are theres. also look at the music ur listening to...is it making u more disconnected...music will shape you in every aspect.

try something very easy...listen to the music u hate. country,rap,whatever it is...pay attention to the words and make sure the message empowers you and relaxes you.

reggae is epic for this

Reactions: noosabar and R2-D2

·
Registered
602 Posts
your cats will be dead soon. try and be more decisive and start making ur point. refine it as ur saying it. think on ur feet....also try and trust people and feel more connected to them.....we r all the same essentially...all of your fears are theres. also look at the music ur listening to...is it making u more disconnected...music will shape you in every aspect.

try something very easy...listen to the music u hate. country,rap,whatever it is...pay attention to the words and make sure the message empowers you and relaxes you.

reggae is epic for this
hmm...bob marley

·
Registered
72 Posts
Im only 15 and am considered a child in school. Dealing with all of the ignorant and yet 'blissfull' people of the world, having to study along side them at their level even though I am so far ahead of them, and not being able to get out on my own and do my own things sucks. Sadly enough I can not escape this for several years and am considering dropping out (makes later life harder but it makes me happier) as soon as I can.
I just want to say that I strongly advise against this. I'm in my senior year of high school and after 7 years I know it really sucks. Just remind yourself that it is something that has to be done, and that it will we over. You just have to stiff upper lip and do it.

On topic, I do have periods where I get pretty depressed and detached from the world. What I usually do in such a situation is go do some intensive activity or listen/play music (usually something with lyrics that are against the established society).

Also I try to centre myself by just trying to get my mind back in my head, and reminding myself that the future not certain (normally I get this when I start to think what is happening in the world) and that anything is possible. This knowledge that I can decide my own fate just keeps me level.

Don't know if this helps. My S/N divide is pretty small, so all this might not make sense at all. Just my 2 cents.

·
Registered
754 Posts
As a child i grew up hearing that i was weird, unusual, different and sure enough i felt bad . i completely avoided people, in fact i hated them,every one in the world that is ! there was never any one like me were ever i went i felt very lonely

i developed low self esteem. I loved myself, its just that......i do not know how to put it, i was just born to be different . People just could not get it so i tried to be what they though was Normal, which to them i think is :being conventional in all aspect of living. Believe me i tried, it did not work, so i am what i am today, an intj who do not give damn about what normal people say!:crazy: what lead to your personality?

·
Banned
1,815 Posts
I used to feel really disconnected and alienated from the world, but that has changed over the past couple of years. I have learned to place no expectations on others. The only person's behavior I can control is my own. When you make yourself the kind of person you wish to encounter, life gets so much better! Your interactions with others improve much! It is true that we are often bothered by others' flaws because we have those same flaws. Feeling displeased with others is usually feeling displeased with oneself.

·
Registered
16 Posts
I often detach and feel like I'm not physically present. This usually happens when I'm around others, people I find uninteresting, shallow or boring, and kind of observe them through a lens and take notes on their behaviour. This has been going on since elementary school when I realized that I was ahead several years ahead intellectually of my peers, causing feelings of alienation. I started to build walls and behind them I retreated into the realm of thought. Now I'm used to this and I usually I don't feel like I need others around, I'm fine with being misunderstood. I interpret that as a sign of greatness and that it's not me who's weird, it's others who usually are being intolerant of "strangeness".

·
Registered
514 Posts
Discussion Starter · #33 ·
then I get frustrated and need to be by myself again. Sometimes I disappear for wide amounts of time and my peeps can't track me down.
exactly. i periodically have to drop off the face of the earth to regroup. unfortunately, my last bout of hermiting has resulted in one of my closest friends refusing to talk to me. :frustrating:

i guess i should be thankful that most everyone else understands, though...

·
MOTM Feb 2010
4,773 Posts
This feeling is my primary motivation to do yoga and meditate. Seems to work as a cure for this ailment, for me at least.

Reactions: Chilln

·
MOTM Feb 2010
4,773 Posts
Same here, although right now I feel like drowning myself in a sea of alcohol...:crazy:
I tired that for many years and I empirically verified that it is actually quite bad for you. I consider heavy drinking to be anti-yoga. If you want to get more out of touch with your body and your perception of reality, drink lots. Don't get me wrong, i like a stiff drink or 9 from time to time, but if the anxiety of estrangement from the world and from your body's got you down, you might want to pass on the sauce.

·
Registered
545 Posts
I tired that for many years and I empirically verified that it is actually quite bad for you. I consider heavy drinking to be anti-yoga. If you want to get more out of touch with your body and your perception of reality, drink lots. Don't get me wrong, i like a stiff drink or 9 from time to time, but if the anxiety of estrangement from the world and from your body's got you down, you might want to pass on the sauce.
u say empirical alot...why...aside from the general anti authority nature of our type...is there a certain thought ur stuck on?

Reactions: Just_Some_Guy

·
MOTM Feb 2010
4,773 Posts
u say empirical alot...why...aside from the general anti authority nature of our type...is there a certain thought ur stuck on?
I am absolutely stuck on the Sabba Sutta from the Samyutta Nikaya. Here's Wallis' translation of it.

"This was spoken by the Buddha at Savatthi.

I will teach you the all. Listen to what I have to say.
What is the all? The eye and forms, the ear and sounds, the nose and scents, the tongue and tastes, the body and tactile objects, the mind and thoughts. This is called the all.
Someone might say, 'I reject this all, I will declare another all.' But because that is simply a groundless assertion, such a person, when asked about it, would not be able to explain, and would, moreover, meet with distress. What is the reason for that distress? Because that all is not within his or her sensorium."

When I say "empirical" I mean that which can be verified within "the all," bringing no more into the discussion other than what one can verify through observation. By "empirical" I also mean "that which is self-evident for those who observe carefully". I suppose "empirical," in the sense that I use it, also means "anti-metaphysical" and "without contrivance."

On a similar note, I would unhesitatingly add that disconnection and alienation most definitely stem from spending too much time outside of "the all" in the abstract space of consciousness. As The Buddha states, spending time here results in distress. Tragically, for the INTP, alienation from the body leads to distrust in "the all." Learning how to sympathetically and spontaneously reengage reality seems to be the nature of our quest. Thus my interest and advocacy of yoga and meditation.

·
Registered
588 Posts
i definitely relate. i'm currently nearing the reemergence phase of one of my hermit cycles, and it's colliding like a violent weather system with a heinous case of existential depression. i can't even talk about it with the people who surround me without them recoiling in horror, which alone is terribly alienating. it seems i'm expected to listen/advise others on microcosmic problems (almost always relationships or finances, in my experience), yet on the rare occasions when i need it reciprocated, no one wants to hear about macrocosmic problems. most people find them bleak and become desperate to change the subject.

·
Registered
545 Posts
I am absolutely stuck on the Sabba Sutta from the Samyutta Nikaya. Here's Wallis' translation of it.

"This was spoken by the Buddha at Savatthi.

I will teach you the all. Listen to what I have to say.
What is the all? The eye and forms, the ear and sounds, the nose and scents, the tongue and tastes, the body and tactile objects, the mind and thoughts. This is called the all.
Someone might say, 'I reject this all, I will declare another all.' But because that is simply a groundless assertion, such a person, when asked about it, would not be able to explain, and would, moreover, meet with distress. What is the reason for that distress? Because that all is not within his or her sensorium."

When I say "empirical" I mean that which can be verified within "the all," bringing no more into the discussion other than what one can verify through observation. By "empirical" I also mean "that which is self-evident for those who observe carefully". I suppose "empirical," in the sense that I use it, also means "anti-metaphysical" and "without contrivance."

On a similar note, I would unhesitatingly add that disconnection and alienation most definitely stem from spending too much time outside of "the all" in the abstract space of consciousness. As The Buddha states, spending time here results in distress. Tragically, for the INTP, alienation from the body leads to distrust in "the all." Learning how to sympathetically and spontaneously reengage reality seems to be the nature of our quest. Thus my interest and advocacy of yoga and meditation.

id say this philosophy of present awarness would be very beneficial to intps...considering many times we disconnect and many times our thoughts turn into a whirlwind of second guessing

Reactions: Just_Some_Guy
21 - 40 of 54 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.