Personality Cafe banner

Do any other ISTPs...

[ISTP] 
2K views 13 replies 12 participants last post by  nordic28 
#1 ·
Do any of you like to take apart things before you throw them away? I almost always take a screwdriver to it before i toss it in the bin.

#7 ·
I start to see patterns where I open up something and find it rather boring, as i have seen the same components in a lot of other appliances.

I love seeing how it worked and, if need be, its nice to know if you could repair one in the future.

Not really... but chances are I have taken a screwdriver to it already to see if I could fix it. If I know it's broken and it's not cost effective to try to fix it, I'll just bin it.

nono, not to try fix it. I'm talking just being curios. Interested in knowing what made it tick before you fling it in the bin.
@BlueG Same here. Its what inspired this thread. My family always bring me electronics before they bin them to see if I want to open it up first.

#11 ·
Yes I take stuff apart before throwing it out. Sometimes it is a simple fix to correct the issue. There is no harm in something that doesn't work anymore to take it apart to take a look. What is the worst thing that can happen, its already broken so if it cant be fixed then no additional loss. Besides sometimes in taking something apart you find the design flaws and figure out how to improve the item had you made it in the first place. Sure one might call it useless knowledge but it exercises the brain and gives you new tools to pull from in the future.

#13 ·
Yes. Sometimes I wont even buy a replacement before I yank it apart and see if its fixable. That reminds me, I need to pull my TV apart. The LCD backlight isnt lighting everytime you press the on button. Have to turn it on and off until it finally lights. Probably bad capacitors. An easy fix that will probably cost less than $20.

#14 ·
Yes, either my laptop or my old playstation1 have been taken apart by me. My laptop had a bad heat system and I thought I can take apart to clean the fan and heat sink, so I downloaded a guide of it. Ugh, it's very complicated and I was afraid I would break my laptop. So I just return back all its components and do nothing.
I still curious to take it apart. Maybe someday when it's totally broken.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.