Personality Cafe banner

1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
204 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Are they the ones that have the most sex? Are they the ones that are happier and more confident? Would humanity be happier if was genetically engineered to be beautiful?

·
Banned
33 Posts
Are they the ones that have the most sex? Are they the ones that are happier and more confident? Would humanity be happier if was genetically engineered to be beautiful?
Since beauty is relative there's no way you can simply genetically engineer it away. Even if you made everyone more attractive it would simply shift the scale of what is average and what is attractive.

·
MOTM Dec 2011
8,651 Posts

·
Registered
3,516 Posts
you could make everyone beautiful, and you'd still have this problem. people will be outcasts, people will feel inferior, people will everything under the sun.

really, all that matters is either being under the impression that you are a self-actualized person who's doing the greatest they ever could... or, you could just try a little bit every day and feel like you're at least doing something to unravel and make sense of yourself. (ps, the second option seems to be the least douche-bag-like, and the most realistically attainable)

·
Banned
8,873 Posts
No. You'll be surprised to see they are more insecure than average people.

Because atleast average persons already accepted their fate. But beautiful people are happy with the spotlight so when there's someone prettier than them, they tend to get insecure.

Those are the common flaws of being beautiful

·
Registered
6,010 Posts
Better looking people have on average an easier time with everything.

·
Registered
10,018 Posts
The majority of beautiful people who have it all, were once ugly people who paid to look beautiful.

On a serious note a lot of the people who I come across in what I would call upper class just know how to cosmetically adjust things with product and surgery. It's rare most people in any demographic have genuinely great structure and skin etc etc.

·
Registered
9w1 sp
2,850 Posts
In terms of them (and I'm speaking mostly of people who are naturally conventionally attractive) "having it all" I would say "no" just because everyone has their problems. Do they tend to be more happy and confident than someone less conventionally attractive? I don't know. It wouldn't surprise me when I think of: how they tend to be hired more; people probably tend to be kinder towards them and have more positive expectations of them; people probably show more interest in them as friends and lovers; etc.

·
Registered
3,765 Posts
Do better looking people have it all? Are they the ones that have the most sex? Are they the ones that are happier and more confident? Would humanity be happier if was genetically engineered to be beautiful?
There was this friend (male) who was very good looking, had money, good job, it was funny to see women going nuts and nervous around him. He was also a client to a company I worked for in the past.

One day he was "gray", during a lunch started talking about how empty he felt, he could go out and get women, free sex, etc, he was popular, etc. But he felt sad, having a meaningful connection with the women he found and dated was difficult, many fell blinded by his looks. He was actually pretty sad. Most guy couldn't get it, but hey most were as ugly as crap so they could only think of "what I would do in your place". He is not the first or last guy I ever got talking like this, there is another guy who had similar looks to a famous actor, he felt the same.

About being blinded... it happens to women too, when they are too beautiful, there is a nice movie about this and one guy (older) says they live in a prison because even when they cry or suffer you are easily blinded by their looks.

·
Registered
4,334 Posts
If you prioritise sex as the be-all and end-all of happiness, then yes, they appear to have it all. If sex is considered one of the many elements of happiness, then no, they don't have it all.

·
Registered
374 Posts
Actually, the least in many cases.

Not necessarily.

No.
Actually! If you ask me:

1-If they're smart, YES.

2-Nobody is happy nor confident, what are you talking about? It has nothing to do with being beautiful.

3-HECK YES! I know I'd be.

·
Registered
ENTJ; 8w7; Persian C
9,448 Posts
Do better looking people have it all?
No, for instance CmdrShep™, they do not have stringingly bad looks and/or abhorrent aesthetical features, and thus, cannot indulge in a deep, deep, deep bowl of hummus while being on a marvelous [evening out] via a specimen that only admires [and is painfully undeniably attracted towards], more peculiar forms of beauty.

·
Banned
687 Posts
Are they the ones that have the most sex?
If opportunity for sex was correlated with having more sex, then yes for men but no for women.

Women of various degrees of attractiveness don't really struggle for opportunities for sex. They may voluntarily go celibate for various reasons (i.e. "i became celibate after that because i feel like I'm just being used. that guys doesn't really like me for being me"), but the opportunities are still there. However, opportunities for sex does not always translate to having more sex, and a woman with all the opportunity in the world may still have less sex than men with very few opportunities. However, if women are looking for a certain type of sex (i.e. with a wealthy, caring, monogamous male willing to support them) then absolutely; being attractive seems like it would help but even then it by no means guarantees that they'd find what they're looking for.

The same isn't true for men. Compared to women, men of various degrees of attractiveness absolutely struggle for opportunities for sex, and this is where being attractive/ wealthy seems like it would help immensely (it's been theorized that 90% of all ONS's experienced by women can be attributed to 10% of males, a discrepancy that is not unlike the mating patterns of other mammals). It's also why I think all the commotion about "equality" between genders is BS; in theory most people are for equality, but in practice our biological differences (i.e. reproductive potential/ limitations) has a direct effect on courtship, sex and dating, as showcased by the fact that many women are still expecting men to pay for them and may make derogatory conclusions about them personally if they don't.

Would humanity be happier if was genetically engineered to be beautiful?
Sure. If both men and women can appreciate "well endowed" physical traits within their partner(s) then in theory genetic engineering could help both parties out with that.

·
Registered
1,738 Posts
There are both sides. Don't forget that they'll have to deal with high(er) frequencies of unwanted attention, jealousy, stares, etc. Everyone has their problems, just different sets of problems.

Reactions: Chesire Tower

·
Registered
4,199 Posts
There are both sides. Don't forget that they'll have to deal with high(er) frequencies of unwanted attention, jealousy, stares, etc. Everyone has their problems, just different sets of problems.
Lol. Does any sane person honestly believe that's comparable?

All things equal, yes. It's a big advantage, but there are bigger factors... if you're male anyway.

·
Registered
1,738 Posts
Lol. Does any sane person honestly believe that's comparable?

All things equal, yes. It's a big advantage, but there are bigger factors... if you're male anyway.
You are free to disagree with me since this is a difference of opinion, but is it really necessary to ask things like "does any sane person..." just because my opinion differs from yours?

Your all things equal quote and saying there's a big advantage BUT there are other things cancels each other out and is confusing.

People are born with different traits and yes, the world is unfair. But people don't realize that everyone has their own problems. Small or big, there's always problems. It just depends on how people deals with the issues or problems that comes their way. Not sure if you can judge someone else's problems for them and determine for them whether it's big or not.

Reactions: Chesire Tower

·
Lotus Jester
8,877 Posts

1 - 20 of 34 Posts