Personality Cafe banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Banned
160 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just typed one of my roommates as an ENFP. It makes sense because being around her stresses me out to some level. I can tell that I stress her out as well. I have another ENFP friend who I get the same way around. I don't think that either of us do specific things to offend the other, I think that I just get stressed out with her natural Ne-Fi combo and she with my natural Si-Te combo. Does anyone else have similar experiences with ENFPs? How do you handle it?

·
Registered
3,234 Posts
I don't understand how the ENFPs are stressing you out. How are they?

·
Banned
160 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I guess just all the 'possibilities' they like to think of and how they don't listen to or give any credit to my Si-Te reasoning. She likes to talk about ideas that could never happen and I have no patience for such whereas I talk more about concrete facts and efficiency, I am a little more impersonal with the topics I go into which I can tell she doesn't have the patience for either... she would rather just talk about ideas and see where they go even if there is no solution- I usually just go straight to the solution.

·
Registered
1,194 Posts
Can't answer for ISTJ's but from an ENFP's perspective there is no stress inducer like an ISTJ :)

ISTJ's like to stick to the same rules no matter the cost, where ENFPs will often break the rules if our intuition tells us its the better way to go from point A to B. ENFP's never want to really talk about mundane details unless it has some bigger picture or practical importance. If there is any ENFP + ISTJ relationship - power to you!

·
Registered
3,365 Posts
ISTJs stress me out too. The word "Efficiency" makes me cringe and back away into a dark corner. I don't know why. Also I think going straight to the solution is boring. Why would I do that when I haven't examined every possibility from the sublime to the ridiculous? xD
My mum is an xSTJ.. and we used to have a mega communication problem. But now we've grown accustomed to each others weird ways and we're excellent friends. She knows not to offer a solution when I'm floating about wondering about something, and I know not to outwardly express exasperation when she makes lists.

Our different ways of thinking complement each other nowadays as long as we remember to respect our differences. I wish I could be of more help to you but I don't know anything about the situation other than your types ^_^

·
MOTM May 2011
14,041 Posts
From my limited experience :wink: ISTJs and ENFPs can stress each other out if they are working closely together or living together as room mates. Obviously, they can make it work as a husband and wife, but it does take a bit of work and a boat load of communication.

In the work place, either one will make the other's existence almost a living nightmare if they work directly together. If they are both given their own space to work with minimal interaction throughout the day, it can work ok. But on the same project, task list, or where they have to rub shoulders constantly, friction will result.

Room mates would be similar. There are lots of opportunity for the J/P friction to make it's presence known.

We can make great partners, but you gotta give each other room to breathe.

·
MOTM Nov 2010
10,402 Posts
ENFPs are annoying little buggers!! I can only handle them in small doses. :crazy:
I guess just all the 'possibilities' they like to think of and how they don't listen to or give any credit to my Si-Te reasoning. She likes to talk about ideas that could never happen and I have no patience for such whereas I talk more about concrete facts and efficiency, I am a little more impersonal with the topics I go into which I can tell she doesn't have the patience for either... she would rather just talk about ideas and see where they go even if there is no solution- I usually just go straight to the solution.
You guys could really be good for each other. I do not like being around people who focus on the problem and not the solution either. But I don't think that is what your friend is doing.

Your friend is spilling her Ne out loud and figuring stuff out and coming up with new ideas and thoughts. This is fun for her. She loves going through the process. Getting to the quick "solution" as you say, may feel like a bummer because she wants to take you along in the process and discover together.

But you could really help her come up with a plan for the dreams she envisions. You would be great at that! Btw, you don't know that anything is impossible. This is because nothing is impossible. I've seen people without feet finish marathons.

However, your friend may not have a concrete plan to see her dreams into fruition. She may be getting "stuck" in Ne and new ideas just keep coming. Sorry, it can be like masturbation for us. So instead of telling her "that will never happen" or instead of showing her body language that tells her you think she is being ridiculous, say "That is a great idea! How do you plan on doing that?" When you see she is stuck, help her out. She needs your practicality. Tell her to break down her goals-short term to long term. Ask her "What part of that goal can you accomplish today?"

Some day you will need her as much as she needs you. You might get stuck in a rut in your life and won't know how to move forward. The ways in which you've always solved things just aren't working. Or you decide that you need to refocus your life. That is when an ENFP friend can come and can creatively help you get beyond any barriers.

Btw, we share Te. It is our tertiary function and it supports our Fi. If you help her write out a schedule or a plan, she probably would love it and follow it like mad. This is because it would be a clear objective vehicle to get her to accomplish her dreams. You could really help strengthen her Te. I love my Te. :happy: I would go that route with both your ENFP friends. But make sure you make them feel like it's a way to help them achieve what they want rather than enforcing a rule on them.

·
Banned
160 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Pinkrasputin- thank you for the advice. You are right about sharing Te and Fi. I do appreciate her encouragement because she is very encouraging to everyone and has a way of making everyone feel good.

I just sometimes get this feeling of wanting to calm her down and organize her thoughts whenever she goes into Ne mode but she doesn't want them to be put into categories, just to leave the floating there. I remember one time I was asking her all about her plan for classes/graduating/transferring/colleges and whatnot and I think it bothered her because she became very short with me. Most of the time we get along and I always like her, we just tend to stress each other out without realizing what we are doing, I think. I never realize I am bothering her until after she shows her irritation and then I realize it was because I was just grilling her for facts, details and plans- but it just comes natural on my part. Whereas she gets random ideas on her part and doesn't realize how I react until after the fact. Sometimes I just want to go lock myself in my room because I can't sort through it all and I am left with a jumble of ideas that don't fit anywhere.

·
Registered
33 Posts
I have been in relationships with two differnet ISTJs and I can totally understand this 'stress'. It is so strange to me that I can get along so well is ISTP's and when it comes to ISTJ's the connection is so different. Same with ESTJ's. Just one letter difference and its a difference of night and day. ESTJ's I can talk about nearly anything and even if we don't agree, things between us always seem to end well. ISTJs and I can be talking about anything and always get into a stressful argument usually ending with both of us returning to our corners bruised and hurt. ISTP's and I can find so many fun things to do together and ISTJ's and I can find basically NOTHING that we can enjoy doing together unless it requires us looking at something else and not talking to each other :X

I dont recommend any ENFP or ISTJ to take the hike of marriage together...you only live once. Why make it a trek up everest when being with a loved one should be like taking a cruise to the bahamas?

·
Registered
3,365 Posts
I dont recommend any ENFP or ISTJ to take the hike of marriage together...you only live once. Why make it a trek up everest when being with a loved one should be like taking a cruise to the bahamas?

Maybe cause Everest is sexier.

xD

·
MOTM Nov 2010
10,402 Posts
Because I love me a challenge and I don't like being told "no". So now you made me want to go find an ISTJ and marry him. :crazy:

And on a serious side note, do you guys have a video thread? I really don't know if I know ISTJs in real life. It really bugs me too because I like knowing all types. I once thought my brother was ISTJ, but now it's looking different.

Will any of you make some videos and post? please oh please.....

Reactions: niss and Namaste

·
Registered
1,194 Posts
I think Bill Lumbergh is ISTJ:

youtube.com/watch?v=52ljfrTR24o

·
Registered
33 Posts
Because I love me a challenge and I don't like being told "no". So now you made me want to go find an ISTJ and marry him. :crazy:
I feel you on the not being told 'no'. Hahah...but go for it. For me, an ISTP is challenge enough. Those suckers are pretty tough puppies to crack and at least in the middle of that hard shell is a nice comfty bed to lie on...

I've been burned by the frost bite that is ISTJ. Maybe yall' gotta experience it yourself. And i feel that they are ultra dangerous too because when you first meet them you'll feel a chemistry to them that unlike anything else because they basically have EVERYTHING you lack. Will power, solid rules, tradition, and excellent work ethic.

Sexy, but not for me :} just my opinion.

·
Banned
1,174 Posts

·
MOTM May 2011
14,041 Posts
The ENFP has an incredible inner world that is simply amazing. Most people that know ENFPs never get to see this. If an ISTJ can control their impulse to "make everything in their external world right" and will learn to love an ENFP with the deepest sort of connection, the ISTJ will be able to view paradise on this side of heaven.

The ISTJ/ENFP match can be heaven or it can be hell. Much of this depends on how willing the ISTJ is to release their fears and embrace change, and how willing the ENFP is willing to accept themselves for who they are and to plunge themselves into the depths of commitment.

Many people have summited Mt. Everest, married couples, young people, old people, all walks of life, and even one that had only one arm. The one thing they all had was determination. And that determination is what is needed to make this relationship work. And the rewards--I'd say they are similar.:happy:

·
Registered
33 Posts
I typed in "batman mbti personality type" I voided the ones that suggested it was an INFJ or ESTJ because neither would be daring enough...but i guess that could be left to pointless debate.

As much as I would LOVE for Batman to be an ISTP...I think he's ISTJ and these people seem to agree...
MBTI truths: The Complete List of Examples of Personality Types
Myers-Briggs Type Indicator (MBTI) | The Personality Puzzle

I guess we can never really know for sure, but I don't see batman's P...he's far too predictable. I feel like an ISTP hero would be more of a glory hog. But, I'm no pro.

-------------

Has anyone been in an ISTJ/ENFP romantic relationship?

1 - 20 of 32 Posts