Personality Cafe banner
1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I notice that I am usually one of the first to do something or own something that becomes immensely popular.

But eventually when it does become trendy, I get bored with it and look for something else not many people know about.

What do you think? Are we trendsetters? do you maintain the same trends or look for new ones?

·
Registered
838 Posts
I'm pretty guilt of that too; Check out all the major sites on the internet. I was most likely there first and left when it got popular.

·
Registered
1,594 Posts
Yes. I am usually first to stop using the buzzwords and catchphrases that I make popular in any social group. Fortunately, most have forgotten I originated them by the time they become worn-out cliches.

Reactions: adameels

·
Registered
198 Posts
I painted my car yellow in 2002. A few years later yellow was a very popular car color. Does that make me a trend setter or just lucky?

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I joined Facebook when there was barely a million users, and I think had a black background instead of white, that was 2006. I don't use it as a much anymore now that everyone's on it.

I also owned an iPod that had a black+white screen, which was just before Apple made an announcement about selling their 1millionth iPod.

I was also using bittorrent before all my friends discovered it, though it was probably me who told them about it lol.

In London, I used to travel to uni by river boat.. it was really cool, and suprisingly cheap, but then everyone discovered it and now I'm back to using the trains lol

·
Banned
1,174 Posts
People see my awesome and fall in line, but it's random awesome so it changes once everyone adopts it.

It's not my fault.

·
Registered
502 Posts
hahahahahahaha....... you're really funny. That's what SP's do, not NP's. Ne tends to outlook the way you dress, and more on the real important things. Se is the opposite.

Oh wait.... you don't mean clothes? Then still no... Ne's tend to do what they feel like regardless of the consequences. My theory is that we care so much about our image, and we do that so people will say "He just doesn't give a fuck about anything...". I still think ENTP's really really care about their image, but want to make a different impression than what others want.

Oh, I also lately realized that my Ne is extremely unbalanced, in a extremely extreme way. I mean, I make most other Ne's around me feel like SJ's. That's why I relized, that out of the 275 (give or take a 50) people I know good enough to type, I found only 2 more Ne's other than myself... because they're more balanced.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
but us ENTPs are innovators... we try new things, and sometimes as a result of experimenting we find something we think is cool, and everybody thinks is cool, so they imitate us, but we hate not being unique and get bored easily so we move on and try something else. But of course image is very important to us too.

·
Registered
722 Posts
I think that we're always kind of ahead of the curb just for the simple fact that we always get bored with stuff and then go on to the next or try to find something better than what was there before. So we happen upon certain things that are destined to be trends and by the time they become a trend we're bored with it.

I rarely fall in love with things that other people like unless it's a really good invention or something like the iPod. I'm usually kind of off doing my own thing so I rarely come upon things that end up being trendy. I can usually spot a trend before it happens music wise. I predicted that dance music was going to be a main force on the radio a few years before it actually happened but that's about it.

I think we have the ability to set trends if we put our creative energy and our intellect to good use but I honestly don't know because i'm very disinterested with starting trends or maintaining them. I'm more interested with finding things that I like and if they are the best of the best then i'll continue to use them or wear them or do whatever with them.

·
Registered
722 Posts
In my high school years I had a thing for 90's music and hated all new music. It was kind of funny cause I certainly wasn't a trend setter music wise then.

·
Registered
305 Posts
I don't want to be egotistical to say that I set trends, but I've noticed, oddly, that when I do or like something they start to become popular. In college I took a shine to green tea and then it became popular and there were suddenly like dozens of brands of it all over.

For a while in high school I always wore a button-up over-shirt and for some reason I would button just the middle button. Next thing I know, all of the popular kids were doing just that.

I've also listened to semi-obscure bands that became popular, though their popular albums usually sucked in their own right and not simply because they were popular (or were they popular because they sucked?). There's probably other examples I just didn't notice because I wasn't paying attention.

Ditching something once it's become popular is something I'm known, and made fun of, for with friends. Once green tea became all the rage, I said something like, "Great now I can't drink it anymore," and they pretty much knew I would say that, and of course reminded me that I was being stupid.

I joined Facebook when there was barely a million users, and I think had a black background instead of white, that was 2006. I don't use it as a much anymore now that everyone's on it.
I haven't used Facebook since 2004 and I'm shocked it became so popular.

·
Registered
838 Posts
Egotistical? I'll show you egotistical. Whenever I show up to a fast food place with no people waiting. A line of at least 4 cars forms behind me. I'm like a planet with a decent gravitational pull.

Reactions: pliqht

·
Registered
305 Posts
Egotistical? I'll show you egotistical. Whenever I show up to a fast food place with no people waiting. A line of at least 4 cars forms behind me. I'm like a planet with a decent gravitational pull.
Shit that is hilarious because I was just thinking about this the other day. That happens to me all the time. Perfectly clear drive through and yet my strange aura forces the two cars in front of me to turn into it ahead of me and like six cars behind me to do the same. There'll then be lines out onto the street once I get there. They should fucking pay me to eat at their stores.

·
Registered
502 Posts
lol. When I 5, I learned the word "unusual", when my brother and mom's boyfriend's kids were sitting in the yard after playing. I wanted to be unusual so I laid down on the floor just to be different than anyone else.

·
Registered
502 Posts
Shit that is hilarious because I was just thinking about this the other day. That happens to me all the time. Perfectly clear drive through and yet my strange aura forces the two cars in front of me to turn into it ahead of me and like six cars behind me to do the same. There'll then be lines out onto the street once I get there. They should fucking pay me to eat at their stores.

All I can think about is "1.5 months and I'm starting driving lessons"

·
Registered
838 Posts
lol. When I 5, I learned the word "unusual", when my brother and mom's boyfriend's kids were sitting in the yard after playing. I wanted to be unusual so I laid down on the floor just to be different than anyone else.
I still do things completely opposite of everyone else just to be unusual. It irritate my father to the fullest amount because him and everyone else will be doing things one way and I'll just randomly decide that I don't want to be like everyone else so I'll do it a different way. I sometimes wonder if that is part of the ENTP condition, even when we don't need to be unique we always do things differently just because we don't feel right doing it the way everyone else does.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.