Personality Cafe banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
812 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Not sure if this has been asked before, but do you think feelers tend to be more religious/spiritual than thinkers in general? Especially in this day and age when science, rationalism.etc is sometimes seen as being at odds with faith and spirituality.

·
Registered
INFJ 3w2 Sx/So
3,373 Posts
I think that sort of conclusion comes from a misinterpretation of the terms "thinking" and "feeling".

Feelers can be incredibly logical (I would say that INFJs do pretty well in this department), and Thinkers can be incredibly irrational (I think ISTPs/ESTPs fall into this pretty often due to their pairing of Ti and Se). In fact, Ts are typically going to be more irrational with their feelings than Fs, because they're less developed in that area. The thing is that they just don't lean on their feelings that often.

Ts and Fs can both be very religious, they just approach it in different ways. Again, the idea that religion has to be based in feelings or personal convictions isn't actually true. I'm a Christian, and my beliefs are more centered in my logic than my feelings. There are a lot of things that don't sit right with me, like the idea of hell. However, Christianity's explanation for the universe; why it's there, how it got here, etc., just makes the most sense to me after evaluating and considering a lot of different arguments.

·
Registered
812 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I think that sort of conclusion comes from a misinterpretation of the terms "thinking" and "feeling".

Feelers can be incredibly logical (I would say that INFJs do pretty well in this department), and Thinkers can be incredibly irrational (I think ISTPs/ESTPs fall into this pretty often due to their pairing of Ti and Se). In fact, Ts are typically going to be more irrational with their feelings than Fs, because they're less developed in that area. The thing is that they just don't lean on their feelings that often.

Ts and Fs can both be very religious, they just approach it in different ways. Again, the idea that religion has to be based in feelings or personal convictions isn't actually true. I'm a Christian, and my beliefs are more centered in my logic than my feelings. There are a lot of things that don't sit right with me, like the idea of hell. However, Christianity's explanation for the universe; why it's there, how it got here, etc., just makes the most sense to me after evaluating and considering a lot of different arguments.
I was thinking idealism is often tied up with feeling, but thinkers can be just as idealistic. Yeah hell disturbs me too, and i find it ridiculous and absurd too.

·
Registered
INFJ 3w2 Sx/So
3,373 Posts
I was thinking idealism is often tied up with feeling, but thinkers can be just as idealistic. Yeah hell disturbs me too, and i find it ridiculous and absurd too.
I've come to accept it as an evil that has to exist in order to give us the concept of choice. With choice, there is consequence -- for good or ill. The idea that hell is a fiery place of torture isn't actually biblical, it was born from new translations and a lacking in contextual and cultural knowledge (the imagery that we're given of hell is only meant to serve as physical metaphors for abstract concepts).

I like C.S Lewis' depiction of hell in The Great Divorce:

"The nearest of those old ones is Napoleon. We know that because two chaps made the journey to see him. They’d started long before I came, of course, but I was there when they came back.’
‘But they got there?’
‘That’s right. He’d built himself a huge house all in the Empire style—rows of windows flaming with light….’
‘Did they see Napoleon?’
‘That’s right. They went up and looked through one of the windows. Napoleon was there all right.’
‘What was he doing?’
‘Walking up and down—up and down all the time— left-right, left-right—never stopping for a moment. The two chaps watched him for about a year and he never rested. And muttering to himself all the time. “It was Soult’s fault. It was Ney’s fault. It was Josephine’s fault. It was the fault of the Russians. It was the fault of the English.” Like that all the time. Never stopped for a moment. A little, fat man and he looked kind of tired. But he didn’t seem able to stop it.’"

(sorry for the weird formatting. That was how it looked on the webpage I copied it from)

·
Registered
745 Posts
I think certain thinkers tend to not be religious. From what I've seen, and overwhelming amount of NTPs are not religious, whereas a good amount of the STJs I know are somewhat religious. They aren't as hardcore as Fe doms though when it comes to that. I grew up Catholic so I'm going off what I've observed in that spectrum, so not trying to generalize here.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts