Personality Cafe banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Banned
402 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was thinking about this the other day and I was wondering as we all get older do generations become mute or pointless. I mean right now all of us who are teens or young adults relating to someone who is 10 to 15 years younger is just a joke since they are kids or infants but how about when were 40's and these guys are in their 30's, i.e. middle-aged [1]?

With technology also advancing and old content being available to younger viewers would this also accelerate the idea of generations not mattering anymore? In addition to that, treatments for age related disease and symptoms that make older people look and be biologically younger, advances, where would that leave us?

references for where I found the age ranges of young adult and middle age:

[1] A comparison of young, middle-aged, and older adult treatment-seeking pathological gamblers. - PubMed - NCBI

·
Registered
375 Posts
Pretty much. When you get into the work force you'd be working with people who may be in different generations. I remember one of my old co-workers being in Gen X while I'm Gen Y. Yet we were with each other everyday (again due to be co-workers). We would chat and things without any concern for generational differences. The only thing that may have happened when relating to generations were 1 or 2 times where we were talking about our childhoods. He'd talk about how he was going to Chuck E. Cheese when it first opened up in the late '70s while I'd mentioned how I didn't go until the mid '90s. But in nearly all cases we don't really let generational differences get in our way of interaction as they didn't seem to matter.

We were both men. Who are both doing the same thing. At the same time. We'd have friendly conversations and such. In terms of childhood generational differences may be noticeable. But nowadays when I'm an adult with other adults (no matter the age differences) we don't pay attention to differences.

·
Banned
402 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Pretty much. When you get into the work force you'd be working with people who may be in different generations. I remember one of my old co-workers being in Gen X while I'm Gen Y. Yet we were with each other everyday (again due to be co-workers). We would chat and things without any concern for generational differences. The only thing that may have happened when relating to generations were 1 or 2 times where we were talking about our childhoods. He'd talk about how he was going to Chuck E. Cheese when it first opened up in the late '70s while I'd mentioned how I didn't go until the mid '90s. But in nearly all cases we don't really let generational differences get in our way of interaction as they didn't seem to matter.

We were both men. Who are both doing the same thing. At the same time. We'd have friendly conversations and such. In terms of childhood generational differences may be noticeable. But nowadays when I'm an adult with other adults (no matter the age differences) we don't pay attention to differences.
It does seem like early childhood would be the only stark difference. Adulthood, I guess, has been very similar through out time.

·
Registered
532 Posts
Normally yes, generation difference become less noticeable when we become more older. but this isn't true for ever. because time is changing, technology is improving and it definitely affects peoples life. A 45 yearold person in 2015 is much different from a 45 yearold person in 1995.

·
Registered
3 Posts
As a child in grade school, it was unheard of to associate outside our grades, and it was only marginally better in high school. Since then nothing has mattered much, like LanceDead13 said, it's very much a "We're all adults here" vibe. There are understandable differences between people ten years younger or ten years older than me. For the most part, none of it matters. It's all about finding people that have a world view and interests close to mine.

But I am approaching a distinct time in my life--first gray hairs, fine lines around my eyes that are probably unnoticeable to anyone else--and I find myself thrust back into thinking about generations again. It was one thing to watch people in Generation X get older, and people my age become adults, and even Generation Z growing into autonomous individuals, but now that I am watching my generation begin to show signs of age, it's sort of thrown me for a loop.

I feel a strange kinship again with my generation and a small, but affectionate difference between those older and younger again. There's a new appreciation when I see someone that I knew once had young, flawless skin now with eye bags that have aged them a decade. And the strangest thing? I am now even finding these things attractive. :)

·
*Triple Thanks*
3,287 Posts
I think I alternate between rose-colored glasses and a feeling of repulsion when I look over the 2000's, the 1990's, and the later part of the 1980's that I can remember. I'm sure I'll have the same reaction to this decade in 5-10 years.

·
Registered
719 Posts
I think I alternate between rose-colored glasses and a feeling of repulsion when I look over the 2000's, the 1990's, and the later part of the 1980's that I can remember. I'm sure I'll have the same reaction to this decade in 5-10 years.
Haha how so? I mean which parts do you see as positive, and which negatively?
Just curious :happy:

·
Registered
719 Posts
Well, I think it might be a bit early for me to tell about this.
Imo, regarding your childhood experiences and memory of early life, obviously that doesn't really change (though I suppose may also fade a little over time). So, if you had very different childhood/adolescent experiences growing up at different points of time, I guess there might always be a bit of a disconnect there.

Regarding situation in life, well I think that can actually really depend on the person and what they are doing in their life, and their focus. I can't really speak for other ages I haven't experienced yet clearly, but for example in your late teens and early twenties, this can already really depend...certain people may be very much focused on their studies and career advancement, or even already starting a family...therefore, they may relate more to older people say in their mid-late twenties for which these objectives will generally be more common. Conversely, people who are actually in their mid-late twenties might still have more of a focus on enjoying their comparative youth and spending more time on leisure activities while they still can, and therefore connect more to younger people with generally more likely similar objectives....

Hope this somewhat makes sense...

·
*Triple Thanks*
3,287 Posts
Haha how so? I mean which parts do you see as positive, and which negatively?
Just curious :happy:
Well, I like most of the 2000's. I think about N Sync, Backstreet Boys, Britney Spears, Jessica Simpson, Ashley Simpson...and I cringe...and all the stupid reality TV shows and four-hundred CSI's and Law and Order's...but mostly that decade is okay. The 1990's are another story. I think about grunge music, girls wearing mom jeans, girls wearing flannels, guys carrying murses (which actually still happens but it's become more respectable in this decade), TGIF and all the hideously awful shows that went along with it, drug use, guys with long hair (which is not universally unattractive but back then guys would have long hair that they clearly washed once a decade, whether it needed it or not), new bands popping up all over who had zero talent and too much ambition. I'm more forgiving of the 80's, partially because I was a little kid. But, again, girls wearing even MORE hideous clothing in every measurable sense, guys wearing shorts up to their buttcheeks, metal bands where the guys dressed like women (but the music was pretty awesome at times), and every commercial had some annoying jingle...I remember SO many annoying jingles for cereal (Honey Nut CHEEERIOS), car companies (I love what you do for me Toyota!).

BUT, in the 2000's we had some sexy cars, some decent music, some hilarious TV and a LOT of good movies. In the 1990's we had some sexy cars, some REALLY hilarious TV and a lot of good movies. In the 1980's, we had lots of sexy cars (even your starter car looked sexy back then), a lot of epic music, and some good movies.

So that's why I say I alternate between rose-colored glasses and a feeling of repulsion. This decade will be no different. Between Justin Bieber and the Kardashians, I've already got some disgust lined up but I also like some of the music I'm hearing, so it's a wash right now. I'm not terribly fond of most cars. I like Mustangs. I freaking LOVE Mercedes, BMW and Audi. I'm meh on Lexus.

·
Registered
719 Posts
Well, I like most of the 2000's. I think about N Sync, Backstreet Boys, Britney Spears, Jessica Simpson, Ashley Simpson...and I cringe...and all the stupid reality TV shows and four-hundred CSI's and Law and Order's...but mostly that decade is okay. The 1990's are another story. I think about grunge music, girls wearing mom jeans, girls wearing flannels, guys carrying murses (which actually still happens but it's become more respectable in this decade), TGIF and all the hideously awful shows that went along with it, drug use, guys with long hair (which is not universally unattractive but back then guys would have long hair that they clearly washed once a decade, whether it needed it or not), new bands popping up all over who had zero talent and too much ambition. I'm more forgiving of the 80's, partially because I was a little kid. But, again, girls wearing even MORE hideous clothing in every measurable sense, guys wearing shorts up to their buttcheeks, metal bands where the guys dressed like women (but the music was pretty awesome at times), and every commercial had some annoying jingle...I remember SO many annoying jingles for cereal (Honey Nut CHEEERIOS), car companies (I love what you do for me Toyota!).

BUT, in the 2000's we had some sexy cars, some decent music, some hilarious TV and a LOT of good movies. In the 1990's we had some sexy cars, some REALLY hilarious TV and a lot of good movies. In the 1980's, we had lots of sexy cars (even your starter car looked sexy back then), a lot of epic music, and some good movies.

So that's why I say I alternate between rose-colored glasses and a feeling of repulsion. This decade will be no different. Between Justin Bieber and the Kardashians, I've already got some disgust lined up but I also like some of the music I'm hearing, so it's a wash right now. I'm not terribly fond of most cars. I like Mustangs. I freaking LOVE Mercedes, BMW and Audi. I'm meh on Lexus.
Thanks for all your input! It's very interesting to hear from someone older who can remember all of that time well. :happy:

-Haha personally I grew up around hearing a lot of their songs as a little kid in the late 90s and early 00s, so Nsync and the Backstreet Boys as well as Britney's early music will always hold a certain nostalgic special place in my heart. However, I can very well see how for someone else who was already considerably older at that time, you wouldn't have been into that kind of music, at all, and would consider it more cringeworthy (kind of like how I feel about Miley Cyrus, Justin Bieber etc now...).

-I can also see how you would be more forgiving of the 80s then if you were a little kid back then, I suppose it is like how I personally am in a way kind of forgiving of the late 90s and early 2000s and in a way a bit biased in their favor to see them as a more positively nostalgic time overall, it's much easier to see the good than the bad of this time I guess since it was a nice and simple, positive time in my personal life, as well...Anyway, back to the point, haha it's interesting to hear from your memory, I've often heard that 80s fashion was really dreadful but of course couldn't really judge, interesting to hear from someone who was actually around and old enough to remember that time, that you also think this haha. Interesting to hear about those jingles, as well! Lol :tongue: Personally, regarding my I guess somewhat equivalent memory of the late 90s/early 00s as the time when I was a little kid, I have to say even in my memory, obviously I wasn't particularly fashion conscious at this time, however I did notice that the fashion was extremely bright, and really rather tacky! (I mean I was actually fond of this as a kid, but now looking back as a young adult, it does seem like it was not very classy, at all, for older people to wear such bright colors and tacky cuts, imo...) However, I actually somewhat prefer older commercials actually! I kind of miss their simplicity in a way?...Kind of like with the old YouTube when I discovered it as a young teen haha...I think these days everything is too over the top tbh...there is something nice about more simplicity too...but again, maybe it's just because it's all connected to a generally more simple (in a good way), time in my memory, anyhow...again, that may well be my I see it in this way...

-Personally I'm not that into cars myself, however I can see how it would be interesting to observe the evolution of them, as well. I do have to say that from watching older movies and such (since I'm quite a fan of 80s and 90s movies in fact), that in some ways older cars do seem maybe less practically designed, but also maybe more aesthetic in their design, in general.

-It's intriguing to hear more about the 90s (as personally sadly I was just too young back then, so I can only really remember the very late last 90s years (and only really from the year 99 on, more clearly). Lol I actually had to look up "murse" how funny. It's funny how some of the 90s trends seem to be coming back now, but others not so much right? (Such as the long hair I suppose). Just out of interest, which other trends from the 90s that you can remember have come back now, and which others have not? And for what reasons do you think some have reappeared while others did not? Just curious haha :happy:

·
*Triple Thanks*
3,287 Posts
Thanks for all your input! It's very interesting to hear from someone older who can remember all of that time well. :happy:

-Haha personally I grew up around hearing a lot of their songs as a little kid in the late 90s and early 00s, so Nsync and the Backstreet Boys as well as Britney's early music will always hold a certain nostalgic special place in my heart. However, I can very well see how for someone else who was already considerably older at that time, you wouldn't have been into that kind of music, at all, and would consider it more cringeworthy (kind of like how I feel about Miley Cyrus, Justin Bieber etc now...).

-Personally I'm not that into cars myself, however I can see how it would be interesting to observe the evolution of them, as well. I do have to say that from watching older movies and such (since I'm quite a fan of 80s and 90s movies in fact), that in some ways older cars do seem maybe less practically designed, but also maybe more aesthetic in their design, in general.

-It's intriguing to hear more about the 90s (as personally sadly I was just too young back then, so I can only really remember the very late last 90s years (and only really from the year 99 on, more clearly). Lol I actually had to look up "murse" how funny. It's funny how some of the 90s trends seem to be coming back now, but others not so much right? (Such as the long hair I suppose). Just out of interest, which other trends from the 90s that you can remember have come back now, and which others have not? And for what reasons do you think some have reappeared while others did not? Just curious haha :happy:
Oh god, please don't call me old...at 33 I'm getting a complex. :crazy:

Thank you...Miley Cyrus...I knew I was forgetting someone obnoxious. That wrecking ball thing was so ridiculous.

Long hair on girls is good. Long hair on guys can be good...really depends on the guy. But people like Kendall Jenner are trying to replace low-rise jeans (something my generation fought and died for in the Denim Wars) with a post-modern version of mom jeans...whyyyy?

So to answer your question, the long hair, the mom jeans (which are rapidly making a comeback), the age of the sequel (what are we on now...F&F 14?), rounded cars vs. the squared off edges of the 80's and 2000's, and mid-to-far-left politics (less of a trend but still relevant), which dominated Government in the 90's (as opposed to mid-to-right government in the 80's and 2000's). I don't keep up with the latest music but my perception is we are (happily) moving away from the techno/dance stuff of the 2000's and back to the more rock-oriented music of the 80's and 90's.

·
Registered
719 Posts
Oh god, please don't call me old...at 33 I'm getting a complex. :crazy:

Thank you...Miley Cyrus...I knew I was forgetting someone obnoxious. That wrecking ball thing was so ridiculous.

Long hair on girls is good. Long hair on guys can be good...really depends on the guy. But people like Kendall Jenner are trying to replace low-rise jeans (something my generation fought and died for in the Denim Wars) with a post-modern version of mom jeans...whyyyy?

So to answer your question, the long hair, the mom jeans (which are rapidly making a comeback), the age of the sequel (what are we on now...F&F 14?), rounded cars vs. the squared off edges of the 80's and 2000's, and mid-to-far-left politics (less of a trend but still relevant), which dominated Government in the 90's (as opposed to mid-to-right government in the 80's and 2000's). I don't keep up with the latest music but my perception is we are (happily) moving away from the techno/dance stuff of the 2000's and back to the more rock-oriented music of the 80's and 90's.
Sorry, didn't mean to call you old per se, it's just that you're quite a bit older than me haha. :tongue:

I absolutely agree with you about Miley Cyrus...what really annoys me most about her is how attention seeking she is, the way she changed everything about herself mainly for attention (at least it sure seems that way...) There's nothing wrong with artists evolving their style and look, but Miley's extreme changes really do seem to serve that purpose...
Seems like even the artists I liked as a kid, like Avril Lavigne, at the time a lot of people called her Punk thing fake...don't really follow her anymore (though admit I still have the lyrics to Sk8ter Boi stuck in my head haha and may still occasionally tune in to an old nostalgic song of hers just for working out or while working on something), but anyway, it seems like she was at least a lot more "real" compared to the pop stars of today, as she seems to have stuck to her own style over the times for the most part...

Yeah I actually quite like longer hair, if it suits the guy. I agree though it really depends on the person. But then again, I anyway prefer people who follow their own individual style and find what suits them as people rather than just following trends, in general.

The "Denim Wars"? Haha didn't know jean cuts were such a big deal at one point? Can you fill me in on that? Lol when was this?
Anyway tbh I generally don't think either super high or low rise jeans are that flattering on most people. Something in between is best imo, that's what I prefer and wear. But to each their own.

I definitely agree with you on the subject of sequels, however. I think that they are way overdone. One example, being, for example, with the filming of Tolkien's books. I have also read all of the LotR books as well as the Hobbit so it's easy to tell that obviously LotR itself just the story is far more interesting.) However, I also really prefer the movies, because they weren't so unneccessarily extended. With the Hobbit, there were just too many parts and far too much reliance on effects and things like that.
It seems like that is really a common problem with a lot of movies these days, just imo...

You are right I suppose even in Politics there are certain trends...

About the music, I also agree with you! :happy:

Btw how do you feel about the 2010s so far? Compared to the 2000s? Better or worse?

·
Registered
1,648 Posts
I see what you mean with ages but on a categorical note: I can't stand baby boomers.

OK that's generalising an often hard to pin down category but I hate hearing baby boomers talk about hard work. Many worked hard no doubt, but they were still working hard in an incredibly prosperous and excessive era.

There will always be outliers who had a really shitty time, woe to the dramatic tragedy of the world, but the majority had a pretty easy sail and easily available jobs during that generation.

Come back and tell me about hard work when you're working 65+ hours a week for crap wages across multiple jobs and trying to study/raise kids or 'insert other issues here'.

Then I might listen to your moralising bullshit.

·
Registered
719 Posts
I see what you mean with ages but on a categorical note: I can't stand baby boomers.

OK that's generalising an often hard to pin down category but I hate hearing baby boomers talk about hard work. Many worked hard no doubt, but they were still working hard in an incredibly prosperous and excessive era.

There will always be outliers who had a really shitty time, woe to the dramatic tragedy of the world, but the majority had a pretty easy sail and easily available jobs during that generation.

Come back and tell me about hard work when you're working 65+ hours a week for crap wages across multiple jobs and trying to study/raise kids or 'insert other issues here'.

Then I might listen to your moralising bullshit.
Whoa, why the antagonism towards Baby Boomers? Any personal bad experiences with them?

·
*Triple Thanks*
3,287 Posts
Sorry, didn't mean to call you old per se, it's just that you're quite a bit older than me haha. :tongue:

I absolutely agree with you about Miley Cyrus...what really annoys me most about her is how attention seeking she is, the way she changed everything about herself mainly for attention (at least it sure seems that way...) There's nothing wrong with artists evolving their style and look, but Miley's extreme changes really do seem to serve that purpose...
Seems like even the artists I liked as a kid, like Avril Lavigne, at the time a lot of people called her Punk thing fake...don't really follow her anymore (though admit I still have the lyrics to Sk8ter Boi stuck in my head haha and may still occasionally tune in to an old nostalgic song of hers just for working out or while working on something), but anyway, it seems like she was at least a lot more "real" compared to the pop stars of today, as she seems to have stuck to her own style over the times for the most part...

Yeah I actually quite like longer hair, if it suits the guy. I agree though it really depends on the person. But then again, I anyway prefer people who follow their own individual style and find what suits them as people rather than just following trends, in general.

The "Denim Wars"? Haha didn't know jean cuts were such a big deal at one point? Can you fill me in on that? Lol when was this?
Anyway tbh I generally don't think either super high or low rise jeans are that flattering on most people. Something in between is best imo, that's what I prefer and wear. But to each their own.

I definitely agree with you on the subject of sequels, however. I think that they are way overdone. One example, being, for example, with the filming of Tolkien's books. I have also read all of the LotR books as well as the Hobbit so it's easy to tell that obviously LotR itself just the story is far more interesting.) However, I also really prefer the movies, because they weren't so unneccessarily extended. With the Hobbit, there were just too many parts and far too much reliance on effects and things like that.
It seems like that is really a common problem with a lot of movies these days, just imo...

You are right I suppose even in Politics there are certain trends...

About the music, I also agree with you! :happy:

Btw how do you feel about the 2010s so far? Compared to the 2000s? Better or worse?
How dare you call me old :shocked:

Yeah, people that do things just for attention are such attention whores *slowly slides large book marked "Popinjay's drama" underneath the rug with shoe* I like Avril Lavigne. I think she has actual talent.

I'm caught between ever-competing desires to conform precisely and do my own thing with no outside input. The battle keeps things interesting.

My brother and I used to see a really fit girl on TV wearing ultra low-rise jeans and a cropped top and say, "Midriff certified." Oh yes, oh yes...there was Episode I The Mom-Jean Menace; Episode II Attack of the Denim; Episode III Revenge of the Midriff; and finally Episode VII The Mom Jeans Awaken.

Unfortunately, it's like Hollywood has lost all creativity so everything is a sequel:

Dark Knight Rises (and this hurts because Batman is one of only two comic book franchises that I actually like)
X-Men The Day After Yesterday (my other favorite franchise)
Spiderman
Thor
Iron Man
Avengers
The Hobbit
Insurgent
Hunger Games
Jurassic World
Terminator
Maze Runner
Star Wars 4,003.123

You know, I have this theory that stylistically trends go from about the 5th year of a decade through the 4th year of the next (e.g.):

1984-1993
1994-2003
2004-2013
2014-

So based on that logic, there is only about two years worth of data to go on. Apart from the aforementioned obnoxious sequels, Bieber, Cyrus, and Kardashian/Jenner craziness, as well as most cars being kind of unattractive (with the exception of Mercedes, BMW and Audi...oh and 2015 Mustangs...they're totally hot), this decade seems about even with the last one.

·
Registered
719 Posts
How dare you call me old :shocked:

Yeah, people that do things just for attention are such attention whores *slowly slides large book marked "Popinjay's drama" underneath the rug with shoe* I like Avril Lavigne. I think she has actual talent.

I'm caught between ever-competing desires to conform precisely and do my own thing with no outside input. The battle keeps things interesting.

My brother and I used to see a really fit girl on TV wearing ultra low-rise jeans and a cropped top and say, "Midriff certified." Oh yes, oh yes...there was Episode I The Mom-Jean Menace; Episode II Attack of the Denim; Episode III Revenge of the Midriff; and finally Episode VII The Mom Jeans Awaken.

Unfortunately, it's like Hollywood has lost all creativity so everything is a sequel:

Dark Knight Rises (and this hurts because Batman is one of only two comic book franchises that I actually like)
X-Men The Day After Yesterday (my other favorite franchise)
Spiderman
Thor
Iron Man
Avengers
The Hobbit
Insurgent
Hunger Games
Jurassic World
Terminator
Maze Runner
Star Wars 4,003.123

You know, I have this theory that stylistically trends go from about the 5th year of a decade through the 4th year of the next (e.g.):

1984-1993
1994-2003
2004-2013
2014-

So based on that logic, there is only about two years worth of data to go on. Apart from the aforementioned obnoxious sequels, Bieber, Cyrus, and Kardashian/Jenner craziness, as well as most cars being kind of unattractive (with the exception of Mercedes, BMW and Audi...oh and 2015 Mustangs...they're totally hot), this decade seems about even with the last one.
Agreed. Although, there are certain artists I'm a bit split on, like Lady Gaga. I know a lot of people do see her as attention seeking, however I actually don't fully agree, at least I don't think she is half as bad as people like Miley. Also at least getting attention for crazy fashion is a lot more interesting to me, than just doing whatever you can to shock people for the sake of it. I actually don't mind Gaga, she has a few catchy songs and seems like quite a talented and interesting person.
I think I'll always like Avril (unless she does something shockingly terrible or something haha), simply because I was so into her music as a preteen. In her interviews she seems like a pretty cool down to earth person, though. I agree that she is talented, she has written a lot of her own music and had to really work for everything herself, as she came from nowhere (compared to someone like Miley, with a famous father in the industry). Generally that just makes me respect someone a lot more (even if it's someone like Justin Bieber, I'm no fan at all, but that is the one single thing he does have going for him, that he also came from nowhere...I guess may be why Miley is particularly annoying, to me.)

Haha the jeans evolution thing seems intriguing! I can't say I've paid that much attention to the changes myself, apart from the obvious of course, basically when I was a kid it being all about baggy pants, flares and low rise, whereas now skinnies and high rise is in. I don't really pay that much attention to what guys are wearing either lol (though I have to say I'm no fan of current trends like man buns, huge beards and skinny jeans on guys). Seriously though, I am just for people wearing whatever they are comfortable with, rather than religiously following trends (or conversely going out of your way to go completely against them, actually also seems silly to me).

I absolutely agree with you about the sequels! I'm really no fan of that development, at all. Movies have really changed from when I was a kid (saw my first movie in 2000 haha). It seems that in the 00s overall they seemed to be a lot more original. Now for the last five or six years though it's been all about sequels and 3D...it's so blatantly and obviously about money making I guess, since less people are going to the cinema now that streaming and more TV shows are becoming so popular instead. So, they have to make more money from each ticket. Ofc it does make sense, however I wish it wouldn't be quite so obvious and extreme. I mean, even if you are going to focus a lot on things like effects, that can be entertaining to an extent. However, it's still possible to have an interesting story without gaping plot holes...

Interesting point about the stylistic trends. There does seem to be a pattern there...
Personally I've noticed that a lot of things seem to change around the 7th/8th year of a decade. Obviously I can only remember the very end of the 90s, so I can't really compare that entire decade, by any means. However, a lot of people have said that it was around 97/98 that the what in their opinion constituted the "core 90s" I guess kind of faded out and the millennial era of my very early childhood that I can first really remember, began.
With the 00s I can remember every year very clearly, so I could see that imo it was in the years 07 and 08 that things really changed a lot (the beginning of the early 10s influences really emerging into a different era).
Well, I guess it's just over a year more to go. But we'll see what 2017 will bring! :tongue:

·
*Triple Thanks*
3,287 Posts
Agreed. Although, there are certain artists I'm a bit split on, like Lady Gaga. I know a lot of people do see her as attention seeking, however I actually don't fully agree, at least I don't think she is half as bad as people like Miley. Also at least getting attention for crazy fashion is a lot more interesting to me, than just doing whatever you can to shock people for the sake of it. I actually don't mind Gaga, she has a few catchy songs and seems like quite a talented and interesting person.
I think I'll always like Avril (unless she does something shockingly terrible or something haha), simply because I was so into her music as a preteen. In her interviews she seems like a pretty cool down to earth person, though. I agree that she is talented, she has written a lot of her own music and had to really work for everything herself, as she came from nowhere (compared to someone like Miley, with a famous father in the industry). Generally that just makes me respect someone a lot more (even if it's someone like Justin Bieber, I'm no fan at all, but that is the one single thing he does have going for him, that he also came from nowhere...I guess may be why Miley is particularly annoying, to me.)

Haha the jeans evolution thing seems intriguing! I can't say I've paid that much attention to the changes myself, apart from the obvious of course, basically when I was a kid it being all about baggy pants, flares and low rise, whereas now skinnies and high rise is in. I don't really pay that much attention to what guys are wearing either lol (though I have to say I'm no fan of current trends like man buns, huge beards and skinny jeans on guys). Seriously though, I am just for people wearing whatever they are comfortable with, rather than religiously following trends (or conversely going out of your way to go completely against them, actually also seems silly to me).

I absolutely agree with you about the sequels! I'm really no fan of that development, at all. Movies have really changed from when I was a kid (saw my first movie in 2000 haha). It seems that in the 00s overall they seemed to be a lot more original. Now for the last five or six years though it's been all about sequels and 3D...it's so blatantly and obviously about money making I guess, since less people are going to the cinema now that streaming and more TV shows are becoming so popular instead. So, they have to make more money from each ticket. Ofc it does make sense, however I wish it wouldn't be quite so obvious and extreme. I mean, even if you are going to focus a lot on things like effects, that can be entertaining to an extent. However, it's still possible to have an interesting story without gaping plot holes...

Interesting point about the stylistic trends. There does seem to be a pattern there...
Personally I've noticed that a lot of things seem to change around the 7th/8th year of a decade. Obviously I can only remember the very end of the 90s, so I can't really compare that entire decade, by any means. However, a lot of people have said that it was around 97/98 that the what in their opinion constituted the "core 90s" I guess kind of faded out and the millennial era of my very early childhood that I can first really remember, began.
With the 00s I can remember every year very clearly, so I could see that imo it was in the years 07 and 08 that things really changed a lot (the beginning of the early 10s influences really emerging into a different era).
Well, I guess it's just over a year more to go. But we'll see what 2017 will bring! :tongue:
Lady Gaga is my FAVORITE. Her videos are...strange...but she has a phenomenal voice and I love her music. I think I truly came to realize her talent when she sang that Julie Andrews song for the Academy Awards or whatever and then Julie Andrews came out and gushed.

I think you have the right attitude on fashion...do your own thing but not just for the purpose of rebelling.

I can't even watch 3D...makes me ill. My pet peeve is fast cuts. So Liam Neeson is fighting a bad guy in Taken 3, his arm moves quickly to strike, they cut to a brief shot of Liam Neeson's angry and determined face and you hear an exaggerated sound of his hand hitting the guy and the guy going, "UHH", and they cut back to the guy falling...it's so lame. Like, couldn't Liam Neeson get some fight training or have a stunt double or something? Fast cut choreography has become the new norm. Films like Crouching Tiger or the Last Samurai that have actual fight choreography are a thing of the past.

Hmm, interesting about the 7th/8th year. I guess we'll see soon.

·
Registered
719 Posts
Lady Gaga is my FAVORITE. Her videos are...strange...but she has a phenomenal voice and I love her music. I think I truly came to realize her talent when she sang that Julie Andrews song for the Academy Awards or whatever and then Julie Andrews came out and gushed.

I think you have the right attitude on fashion...do your own thing but not just for the purpose of rebelling.

I can't even watch 3D...makes me ill. My pet peeve is fast cuts. So Liam Neeson is fighting a bad guy in Taken 3, his arm moves quickly to strike, they cut to a brief shot of Liam Neeson's angry and determined face and you hear an exaggerated sound of his hand hitting the guy and the guy going, "UHH", and they cut back to the guy falling...it's so lame. Like, couldn't Liam Neeson get some fight training or have a stunt double or something? Fast cut choreography has become the new norm. Films like Crouching Tiger or the Last Samurai that have actual fight choreography are a thing of the past.

Hmm, interesting about the 7th/8th year. I guess we'll see soon.
Yeah I like Gaga too. In fact her strangeness and being a bit "different" from the typical pop star like Katy Perry, Taylor Swift etc is actually a big part of what I find endearing about her. Glad to hear you're a fan for the right reason that she is talented. :happy:

Yes about fashion, agreed. While personally, I don't give that much importance to it anyway, I do think it can be an interesting way to express yourself for some people...However, that certainly be overdone...

I also agree with you about the 3D, in most cases it's just completely unneccessary and hardly improves the quality of the movie, rather the opposite in fact... this is a big part of why I don't go to the cinema much anymore, and if I do then only for something that seems a bit more promising in terms of quality of plot and character development. In any case, I've been avoiding sequels and Marvel movies for a while, now...

Yeah I guess we'll see how things develop...

1 - 19 of 19 Posts