Personality Cafe banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
2,957 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
We all function out of most if not all of the Myers Briggs types at one point in our lives. The more I come to understand the mindsets and the spirits of the preferences the easier to becomes for me to function using those preferences over my defaults. So why must I identify as one type and tell people I am ____ when I am actually capable of far more than just those four that I default to? I suppose I could say that I’m really good at these four and I’m kind of good at these other ones, but I feel like claiming the title is far less beneficial than it is made out to be.... and now I’m not sure if I’m making sense so I’ll leave it at that. Why do I need to identify with one type?

·
Registered
INTP 9w1-5w4-2w3 sp/so
2,601 Posts
I personally find it fun to try to find a type. It can also be very challenging if you are a person who tends to get obsessive over things. It's completely your choice if you want a type or not. It's nothing to stress over and it's not a life or death thing. If you want to, that's great but if not, don't let anyone pressure you into it. It is okay if you find yourself inbetween types. It can be difficult to find the type that fits you best.

·
Registered
3,106 Posts
You don't need to be anything, but:

We all function out of most if not all of the Myers Briggs types at one point in our lives
No, we actually don't.

·
Registered
790 Posts
Nope.

people are changing, and to be honest, it's not really that important.

INFP,ISFP,ENTJ,ESTJ... who cares, being yourself is the best type you can get, and if you want me to prove that it's almost meaningless now, look at some of the threads here, but i warn you, you might get cancer from the stupidity of some of the questions here.

People who will read my comment will probably think that i'm a hater or something, but no. I love the MBTI and i think it's great and all, but people turned it into a competition thing or "what type is the best one " or " if im XXXX should i change my career and dreams " and there are some people who actually seriously think that type has anything to do with those things( im not even joking ).

In Conclusion : MBTI is fun and all, but you dont really need it. Use it for your entertainment and enjoy talking and socializing with some of the people here. I took it seriously, but..

In The End, It doesnt really matter :wink:

~ Triggered MBTI fanboys ranting in 3 2 1

·
Registered
2,957 Posts
Discussion Starter #8 (Edited)
You don't need to be anything, but:

No, we actually don't.
Yeah, I know this is kind of debatable, but if you say that we don’t occasionally function as other types you rule out some theories about types under stress, you rule out any possible way (that I can see anyway) of reconciling the fact that two people can be of the same type but also be very different, and you say that you never function outside of those four charicteristics (which is false). So you can’t really just say, “No, you don’t function as other types” because if you do you limit Myers Briggs to a horoscopic sort of ability and therefore credibility.

Unless, of course, you were just suggesting that not everyone functions out of a significant number of other types. That I could maybe agree with, but this is all moving away from the original thought of the thread. If you want to continue discussion feel free to PM me.

·
Registered
170 Posts
You don't need to identify with one type. It looks like that here because everyone here are typology enthusiast. Nobody ask you whether you're and ENFJ or ISFP in real life, which matters the most.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts