Personality Cafe banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
103 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Greetings!

I hereby invite you to participate in assisting me in order to help me reach a conclusion on my MBTI-type. I will be direct here and just put out everything about me. I understand that since you INTJs have the most experience with the type, you guys could shed some light on the matter.

First of all, my favourite subjects in school are biology, math and language. I am studying to become a medical doctor. However, I don't study medicine for the innate desire of helping people, but rather because I see it as the best possible career pathway in life.

Linguistics has always come naturally to me even though I have no proper interest in it. I never bothered learning how the language is structured or why some things occur, all I could care about in English class was learning how to use the most apt grammar and the most advanced words.

In addition; I often contemplate about the future and how horrible the world will be. I want to become better than everyone else, I want to reach a certain position where I can do or say whatever I want, and be able to control other people.

Some details (don't get any S/N ideas just yet):

- I don't care much about peoples feelings, it's more that I don't want to hurt them because I sort of "need" them in a way. I try to be nice because I realise I have something to gain from their friendship.

- I can sometimes get visions after watching something, and when I am in an emotional state (angry, sad) I often reach a deep thinking where I make up new plans and come to new realisations.

- I hate movies, TV, music, video games, drugs etc. I see it as a waste of time. I like debating, but I also see it as a waste of time.

- I dislike stupid people and people who cannot think for themselves, people who cannot see further than where their nose points.

- My personality changes and I can sort of become a "chameleon" where I can adapt to the person I am talking with, and completely change my personality depending on how I predict the person wants me to be. I can also change myself to become whatever I want. I can very easily become dominant, helpful, submissive etc if I feel like that is the best for the situation.

My uncle once commented and was suprised of how dominant I could be, because he always saw me as a friendly guy who was stuck in "his own world".

- I don't like being in the center of attention and I prefer to talk to someone one on one.

- I have trouble initiating things but I always want closure. I hate it when things are left in the dark and I dislike having several things on my mind at once. I work best when I can concentrate on one task, not multitasking.

- I am a very honest person who will say what is on my mind, regardless of the persons feelings. I find that if they ask me what I think, they deserve a honest answer and not something watered down with diplomacy to the point of falsehood.

...Moreover, I am a 5w4 SX/SP.

Cognitive functions result:

extraverted Sensing (Se) ************************************ (36.1)
introverted Sensing (Si) ********************************* (33.3)
extraverted Intuiting (Ne) ************** (14.9)
introverted Intuiting (Ni) ************************************************ (48.6)
extraverted Thinking (Te) ********************************** (34.3)
introverted Thinking (Ti) ******************* (19.9)
extraverted Feeling (Fe) ************************* (25.6)
introverted Feeling (Fi) *************************** (27.1)

Btw, I get INTJ/ISTP/INFJ on tests. My SLOAN is RLOEI.

·
Registered
44 Posts
In response to your query on your type.

I think you seem to be an INTJ, to me anyway. I myself am an INTJ and can relate to most of what you're saying about yourself. Perhaps you're just an INTJ with a low preference of J over P. Being a "social chameleon" and having trouble initiating things tend to be P traits more so then J. You also have high Ni and Te which are our primary and secondary functions. As for the emotional "visions" I am not really sure. It might be more of an F thing? However, I would like to add having low preferences of J over P and moderate preferences of T over F doesn't make you any less of an INTJ. Low preference is still a preference. The fact that you are thinking and analyzing this so much is a testimony to your T. Also, do most INTJs dislike multitasking? I often to do it when I'm not at work, where I prefer to concentrate deeply, to keep boredom at bay. Does anyone else feel the same?

·
Registered
488 Posts
A desire to control people sounds F-ish to me, as does the "chameleon" thing-although as far as that goes you could just be a very aware INTJ. So, I'm going with either a very P-ish INTJ, very confident INTP, or INFJ. Have you done a lot of CF research to see what sounds "like you"? If not, do that.

·
Administrator
23,779 Posts
The cog function test is all over the shop. They aren't accurate at the best of times but I wouldn't expect high Si or Se. It looks more like INTP, ISTP, ISTJ or maybe a misunderstanding of the questions (they aren't clear cut). I would definitely not say you were any of those or INTJ from it though.

Not suffering fools can be any type really. Controlling people has nothing to do with being INTJ but your own desire. Being a grammar Nazi is neither here nor there.

I have no clue. I can't even tell if you're a sociopath, introvert or other.

·
Registered
2,206 Posts
Your description sounds mostly like me. I don't want to control people in a way that would harm them personally, because I think that they would be better off that way; everything would work better (I mean in a limited situation, like a workplace, obviously). The adaptability makes sense to me as well; you just have to do your best to fit in because if you are perceived as 'weird' in general, or maybe 'domineering', then people might take pot shots at you. The best thing is to take it cautiously, and then grow into a bigger role once you have sized the job, the field of the study, your peers, etc., up.

·
Registered
924 Posts
The cog function test is all over the shop. They aren't accurate at the best of times but I wouldn't expect high Si or Se. It looks more like INTP, ISTP, ISTJ or maybe a misunderstanding of the questions (they aren't clear cut). I would definitely not say you were any of those or INTJ from it though.

Not suffering fools can be any type really. Controlling people has nothing to do with being INTJ but your own desire. Being a grammar Nazi is neither here nor there.

I have no clue. I can't even tell if you're a sociopath, introvert or other.
My thoughts exactly.

Dom Ni with aux Se? Well, that's certainly interesting.

·
Registered
296 Posts
I think you talked a little too much about your goals and a little to little on how you attempt to achieve them. MBTI is about the means we use more than anything. That said, there are tendencies for people of the same type to have somewhat similar goals and beliefs, and this does description fits fairly well the (stereo?)typical description of an INTJ, with some variations. In short, you are more likely to be INTJ than any other type, I think.

·
Administrator
23,779 Posts
My thoughts exactly.

Dom Ni with aux Se? Well, that's certainly interesting.
It's pretty easy to misinterpret the questions. I get Ni, Ne, Te, Ti, Fi, Se, Si, Fe (or Fe Si). I could put that down to having a vested interest in INTP parent and daughter and the way they think or misinterpretation of cog questions. It could even be that I use them in that preference. Who knows? It's not clear cut.

I think the best way is to go through the whole MBTI process with a parent or someone who knows you well enough to call you out on your bullshit (self talk that is inaccurate). To try and see yourself from an objective view and really ponder what is type and what is just general traits of humans in general. Sometimes it isn't always as easy as it sounds.

·
Registered
103 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 · (Edited)
Your description sounds mostly like me. I don't want to control people in a way that would harm them personally, because I think that they would be better off that way; everything would work better (I mean in a limited situation, like a workplace, obviously). The adaptability makes sense to me as well; you just have to do your best to fit in because if you are perceived as 'weird' in general, or maybe 'domineering', then people might take pot shots at you. The best thing is to take it cautiously, and then grow into a bigger role once you have sized the job, the field of the study, your peers, etc., up.
Yes indeed. I find that if I show the real "me", people will find me very strange and avoid me - so I act accordingly. I only do the chameleon-personality if I find I have something to gain from the person I am talking with.

I can be controlling and dominating towards people I find weaker, but I believe that to be a cause of my childhood where I was bullied and sort of adapted the mentality to protrude against others. Sort of like how seniors bully freshmen, then the victim will grow up and do the same towards other freshmen when he has become a senior.

Also, I might do this to others but when I see other people bullying someone or oppressing someone (an underdog), I will generally help them. Most likely because I can identify with his situation because I have been in the same one many times.

I dont care what your type is, but you sound like no kind of doctor i would ever want to meet. Also, you kinda sound like a robot or sociopath.
Fortunately for you, I will work with medical research and not as a doctor. :laughing:

·
Registered
2,206 Posts
If you haven't, you should take MBTI and see what it says. It isn't 100% accurate, but I think it will get you pretty near, anyway. I don't get the robot/sociopath remark. You are just being honest, and I am sure that if everyone was equally so, we would hear similar mindsets from quite a few perfectly normal, completely functioning people.

·
Registered
103 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I am definately not a sociopath. I would say I have a few narcissistic traits, but pretty much everyone in todays western society does to some degree. I am just being honest with myself, and I don't really see any reason why you should go offtopic and try to cater this towards a discussion on mental sanity rather than MBTI. Please stay on topic.

·
Registered
488 Posts
Not caring about your friends and viewing them solely in terms of gains does sound sociopathic. "Personality disorders" can affect MBTI results so they are relevant.

I'm no expert but all I can pick out from OP's posts are Ni and I'm thinking (inferior) Fe as well. OP, have you looked into cognitive functions yet? Not tested them, researched them.

·
Registered
103 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Not caring about your friends and viewing them solely in terms of gains does sound sociopathic. Personality "disorders" can affect MBTI results so they are relevant.

I'm no expert but all I can pick out from OP's posts are Ni and I'm thinking (inferior) Fe as well. OP, have you looked into cognitive functions yet? Not tested them, researched them.
What makes you think I have inferior Fe? I am pretty certain that I have Fi after researching the functions and trying to relate to them, but feel free to go ahead and prove me wrong.

Ni se te fi seems to be my primary functions, albeit I am not certain of it yet. I honestly relate most to INFJs in general, while ISTPs does seem unlikely. I tend to be an optimistic long term planner who always have a plan B, and I dislike having my time wasted when I could instead spend it doing something productive.

I find it amusing that in another thread I created, most people detect Fi from my text, yet a few guys here mention Fe.

·
Registered
488 Posts
What makes you think I have inferior Fe? I am pretty certain that I have Fi after researching the functions and trying to relate to them, but feel free to go ahead and prove me wrong.

Ni se te fi seems to be my primary functions, albeit I am not certain of it yet. I honestly relate most to INFJs in general, while ISTPs does seem unlikely. I tend to be an optimistic long term planner who always have a plan B, and I dislike having my time wasted when I could instead spend it doing something productive.

I find it amusing that in another thread I created, most people detect Fi from my text, yet a few guys here mention Fe.
I can barely learn anything about your thinking style from a few paragraphs, but since you're "certain" you have Fi, you may well prefer that to Fe. As I mentioned before, that you can "chameleon" *could* be indicative of Fe. Suppressed or ignored Fe (based on what I've read anyway) manifests itself as an "I-don't-need-anyone"/"I'm a fortress" mentality, which you seem to have and discussed several different times (you point out you don't study to help people, that you want to control people, that you *can* to a degree-that you put all that here indicates you think it's an important part of your personality, since this is a type me post).

If those functions "fit" with you, you probaby are an INTJ. But remember we don't all think exactly alike, just that we think similarly. I'm inclined toward "unhealthy" (repressed) INFJ though.

·
Registered
924 Posts
I'm actually not sure if you are purposely trying to deny any personable human side (not "feelings," please) or if you think these traits are healthy or admirable, but they do not in themselves suggest type. The detached, quantitative way you reason the "worth" of people and how you can use them to your benefit does seem to be somewhat disordered thinking, or at the very least not MBTI related. Perhaps in your case it isn't really disordered and you are just trying to come off as macho or domineering (to a bunch of INTJs because that is the stereotype after all). But just, you know. Not the same thing as INTJ.

Possibly the reason people are suggesting Fe is that this:

My personality changes and I can sort of become a "chameleon" where I can adapt to the person I am talking with, and completely change my personality depending on how I predict the person wants me to be. I can also change myself to become whatever I want. I can very easily become dominant, helpful, submissive etc if I feel like that is the best for the situation.
seems like entirely too much work to me. You're calculating how to behave around people and predicting what they want, which is something INTJs are kind of terrible at. Fe users (such as INFJ) can be really good at this and of course if they wanted to use it to dominate, manipulate, and control people they could do that as well. Fi tends to be more internal and private-values oriented. Not only would I not change to appeal to someone, I wouldn't even know how to.

That said, "Do I seem INTJ" made me think of this: http://personalitycafe.com/intj-for...um-feel-need-perpetuate-intj-stereotypes.html

1 - 20 of 26 Posts