• Other

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
41 - 48 of 48 Posts

·
Registered
INFP 6w5 629
1,077 Posts
Not necessarily, the stronger one's moral convictions are, I would think the less agreeable they would be overall.
Morals are usually dicatated by Fi, and an INFPs dominant function is Fi.
I would think Fe to be more closely correlated with agreeableness.
A forum post produces this:
The MBTI can be considered to be subsumed by the Big5/Five-Factor Model. McCrae and Costa examined this back in the late 1980’s. First of all, they showed that the types do not interact in a statistically meaningful way indicating that there isn’t a reason to interpret four type categories (e.g., ESTJ vs INFP). The categories (e.g., extraversion vs introversion) describe some meaningful amount of variance themselves but combining them into the types and interpreting the whole is not statistically warranted (McCrae & Costa Jr., 1989). Statistically, false dichotomization/median splits (here called types) reduces the predictive power of a measure in general.

To further examine the universality of the Five-Factor Model, they examined how the MBTI dimensional raw scores related to the FFM/Big5 scores. They showed that FFM-Extroversion was highly correlated to MBTI-Introversion (r = -.74), FFM-Neuroticism was weakly correlated to MBTI-Introversion (r = .16), FFM-Openness was correlated to MBTI-Intuition (r = .72), and to MBTI-Perception (r = .30), FFM-Agreeableness was correlated to MBTI-Feeling (r = .44), FFM-Contentiousness correlated to MBTI-Perception (r = .49). These correlations were for men only, but are reported to give as an example of how the FFM can account for MBTI measures. The MBTI does not capture trait Neuroticism which could be considered a fault because Neuroticism is strongly predictive of many negative outcomes (Barlow, Sauer-Zavala, Carl, Bullis, & Ellard, 2014). The other factors of the MBTI are accounted for in the FFM, but captures additional variance above and beyond the MBTI. Validity and universality of the Five-factor model is another question but, briefly, it is empirically derived from factor analysis of the entire English dictionary (lexical approach) a factor structure which has been replicated in over 40 languages (McCrae & Costa, 2008).

https://psychology.stackexchange.com/questions/13460/what-correlation-research-has-been-done-on-mbti-vs-big5

Barlow, D. H., Sauer-Zavala, S., Carl, J. R., Bullis, J. R., & Ellard, K. K. (2014). The Nature, Diagnosis, and Treatment of Neuroticism: Back to the Future . Clinical Psychological Science , 2 (3 ), 344–365.
McCrae, R. R., & Costa Jr., P. T. (1989). Reinterpreting the Myers-Briggs Type Indicator From the Perspective of the Five-Factor Model of Personality. Journal of Personality, 57(1), 17–40.(https://www.researchgate.net/profile/Paul_Costa3/publication/20447534_Reinterpreting_the_Myers-Briggs_Type_Indicator_From_the_Perspective_of_the_Five-Factor_Model_of_Personality/links/00b49515b9ad847e86000000.pdf)
McCrae, R. R., & Costa, P. T. (2008). Empirical and Theoretical Status of the Five-Factor Model of Personality Traits. The SAGE Handbook of Personality Theory and Assessment: Volume 1 — Personality Theories and Models. SAGE Publications Ltd (pp. 273–295).

Reading through the second article I found two tables relating the two. Granted, I didn't bother reading through the entire scientific article, but I think it would conclude the correlation is somewhere between agreeableness and MBTI-Feeling is between 25 and 46 percent. This is not a comparison in cognitive functions though.
::
As for me, I'm someone with strong moral convictions but still score high in agreeableness. I think it's more likely that someone scoring low in agreeableness would be a T.

·
Registered
377 Posts
Discussion Starter #42
INFPs score low on agreeableness??
I mean I can see yeah but I thought agreeableness was correlated with F
There are 6 facets for agreeableness(trust,morality,altruism,cooperation,modesty, sympathy).

Trust is self explanatory imo. This seems to be negatively correlated with high Ti. However I can see varying scores for other functions. Fi doms generally are trust ful of people, perhaps sometimes too trustful. However there is a wide range of variety depending on their life experience, in general.

Morality usually refers to being open about yourself in relationship and being sincere. This one can probably correlate to Fi. Can negatively correlate with Ti.

Altruism refers to helping others or so. This seems to be correlated to Fe. Depending on the development of the Fi in the said person, they can either score high or low in this aspect.

Cooperation again seems to be self explanatory. Seems correlated to Fe and Te(in certain circumstances).

Modesty is just reluctance to consider themself better than others openly. So this again correlates more with Fe.

Sympathy in general can correlate with F.

So considering all this, if Fi doesn't seem to have much correlation with some of the factors, I don't see it to be unlikely for an Fi dom to score not all that high on agreeableness. However Fe doms would score high due to the definition of that function. Only factor I see unhealthy Fe scoring low is in Trust and morality.

·
Registered
INFP 6w5 629
1,077 Posts
There are 6 facets for agreeableness(trust,morality,altruism,cooperation,modesty, sympathy).

Trust is self explanatory imo. This seems to be negatively correlated with high Ti. However I can see varying scores for other functions. Fi doms generally are trust ful of people, perhaps sometimes too trustful. However there is a wide range of variety depending on their life experience, in general.

Morality usually refers to being open about yourself in relationship and being sincere. This one can probably correlate to Fi. Can negatively correlate with Ti.

Altruism refers to helping others or so. This seems to be correlated to Fe. Depending on the development of the Fi in the said person, they can either score high or low in this aspect.

Cooperation again seems to be self explanatory. Seems correlated to Fe and Te(in certain circumstances).

Modesty is just reluctance to consider themself better than others openly. So this again correlates more with Fe.

Sympathy in general can correlate with F.

So considering all this, if Fi doesn't seem to have much correlation with some of the factors, I don't see it to be unlikely for an Fi dom to score not all that high on agreeableness. However Fe doms would score high due to the definition of that function. Only factor I see unhealthy Fe scoring low is in Trust and morality.
I looked through a couple of the older threads and a couple of the newer threads where users would score themselves and post their results

HEXACO-I never ended up posting my results on this, went on a tangent, and never came back. I'm score as a very agreeable person. Moo Rice and mushroom are the two other INFPs that I recognize, they score below average on agreeableness.
Presidents Sily scores high on agreeableness, ISTPs score low on it
Big 5? on the INFP forum from 2011 Ignore the second post, that's a ISTP, most INFPs score high on agreeableness

There's supposed to be a "medium" correlation between Feeling and Agreeableness.

From similarminds, correlations of types and Global 5:
Jung/MBTI/KierseyGlobal 5
INFPRCUAI, RLUAI
INTPRCUEI, RLUEI
INFJRCOAI, RLOAI
INTJRCOEI, RLOEI
ISTJRCOEN, RLOEN
ISFJRCOAN, RLOAN
ISTPRCUEN, RLUEN
ISFPRCUAN, RLUAN
ENFPSCUAI, SLUAI
ENTPSCUEI, SLUEI
ENFJSCOAI, SLOAI
ENTJSCOEI, SLOEI
ESTJSCOEN, SLOEN
ESFJSCOAN, SLOAN
ESTPSCUEN, SLUEN
ESFPSCUAN, SLUAN

Apparently the correlation is much the same across the board, so every F user (in which their Fi OR Fe is within the first two functions) could be predicted to type as Agreeable. Also, I would like to (hopefully politely) disagree with the rest of your post and say Fi would be positively correlated with each facet of Agreeableness.

·
Registered
377 Posts
Discussion Starter #45
Also I was arguing for the case when INFPs can score low in agreeableness, not necessarily for them scoring low in general. I agree that they would get average to high score normally.

·
Registered
INFP 6w5 629
1,077 Posts
Also I was arguing for the case when INFPs can score low in agreeableness, not necessarily for them scoring low in general. I agree that they would get average to high score normally.
There are always exceptions to average, but yeah I just don't think you're an INFP and INTP seems to suit you well.

Everything just looks a little crazy when graphed against the population average :whistle:

·
Registered
377 Posts
Discussion Starter #47
There are always exceptions to average, but yeah I just don't think you're an INFP and INTP seems to suit you well.

Everything just looks a little crazy when graphed against the population average :whistle: View attachment 867451
I wish I could improve my agreeableness, but every time I try to trust people by say asking for help, it backfires. So I end up back to square one.

·
King of Seduction
ENTJ
7,284 Posts
I wanna say you're INTP because of the uncertainty you have. INTJs seem to be pretty confident in themselves and act like they know everything. They have a matter-of-fact way of talking in my experience. I believe Ti is the function that makes a person analytical which I imagine could lead a person to be confused and therefore keep experimenting and guessing and over-think.

Then again, I dunno how accurate my opinions are. I'm not even sure I'm INFJ.
I think that's a misnomer.
That statement is one of the key things which pushed me away from thinking I was NTJ in the beginning.

However years later I will say that, confidence is developed not automatic.
We have confidence we can do what we want to do, if we choose to do it.
We have evidence that we've accomplished note worthy things.
To assume I know all about women's latest trends in jewelry just because I am an NTJ - is wrong.

If we have no basehand knowledge we aren't going to just strut around like an idiot acting like we do. We would ask questions and form our opinion over time, like any other sane person.
Being a newbie to typing you're going to have to work out your reality and really figure how empirical the evidence really is, or is it bullshit... or a little bit of both.

Moral of the story - don't assume someone is not an NTJ just because you don't get an instant arrogance.

41 - 48 of 48 Posts