Personality Cafe banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
234 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So obviously if you're an ISFP on this forum you're bound to be somewhat biased, but here goes :p

My fiance is an ISFP and he totally distrusts the MBTI, he hates being "defined" categorically by some impersonal system and believes that nothing can capture his individuality, and that it doesn't really tell him anything he doesn't already know, so what is the point. He has little patience for whenever I talk about it with regard to him or anyone we know.

Is this a typical ISFP reaction? How do you feel about being an "ISFP," versus being an individual?

·
Registered
2,478 Posts
My ISFJ brother was like this, but I talked him into considering. I believe the possibility of being misled by anyone or anything is high, but one is to make that decision after judging, not after conjecturing. Arrogantly tossing something aside because you declare it's impossible is just that: arrogant. Especially something developed on an attempt to observe. Next people will say that science doesn't work because they think it's too hard.

On the other hand, if people are simply not interested I don't blame them. I just prefer they stow their doubt until they have more than complaints to back up their opinions. I think MBTI and JCF are off, but I respect theorizing since I love doing it myself. Those that rely exclusively on their own memories and experiences likely tend to defend what "already works," failing to see what actually isn't highly functionable. Complacency isn't healthy. Sorry, sorta vented.. But, no. I've not been like that. I could admit I'd never been positive about how I ticked. Who ever is?

·
Registered
1,970 Posts
I think it can be bad if you start locking yourself into your type too much.

You don't want it to hold you back, only to provide insight on how to live better.

So many people find out that they're "ISFP" and are like, well I guess I should never socialize, do science, or plan my future...Lol

·
Registered
568 Posts
Is this a typical ISFP reaction? How do you feel about being an "ISFP," versus being an individual?
Hmmm..... Can't say that I've ever thought of this. I don't make a big deal about something "inhibiting" my individuality because the only thing on earth that can do that is me.

·
Rebel without a cause
2,725 Posts
How do you feel about being an "ISFP," versus being an individual?
I'm both. I also got a name that others do, I also got a heritage that others do, I got the same eye color as others do and so fourth. I just don't feel that my individuality is threatened by the fabricated labels that we use for convenience.

·
Banned
14,801 Posts
I think some IxFPs can feel this way. And some IxTx's can hate MBTI because it can't be concretely scientifically verified (especially IxTJ's, probably) and some other types just might not find it interesting, because they're not that interested in psychology or human relationships.

That's why when people say things like "sensors don't like the MBTI" I disagree, because clearly some sensors do, and some Ns don't like it for different reasons (like an INFP saying it boxes them in unfairly, or an ENTJ saying it's not verified by hard science).

·
Registered
71 Posts
I don't take the MBTI too seriously. But like horoscopes and birth charts, it's fun to think about. Some people seem ot be clearly defined by their type while others (such as myself) are more balanced and don't quite fit in any of the 16 boxes. I think people are more than their types (they have their own specific interests, skills, personal history, life goals, etc.), and also that these types can change depending on one's life experiences and awakenings with regards to their unresolved issues and biases.

And are we really always the same type in every single situation of our lives? If I'm buying a toaster, I'll put more weight on objective principles and impersonal facts. If I'm organizing or attending a party, I'll put more weight on personal concerns and the people involved. If I'm going skydiving, I'll be concerned with my physical reality and what is actual and real. If I'm unhappy or bored with my present situation, I'll imagine and speculate about other options. Etc.

·
Registered
806 Posts
*Ignore post. I accidently posted twice.

·
Registered
806 Posts
Well, stereotypes about MBTI types aggravate me. And I have kept my type as "unknown" before because I didn't want people to make assumptions about what I'm into, what I'm like, etc. The MBTI can describe tendencies and trends, but not who you are.

Reactions: Benja and mikki104

·
Registered
265 Posts
I find it interesting, and I like to be able to relate with it, and with others. I know that no two people are exactly alike, and that's why if I ask a question on these forums, I always get a variety of answers, some I agree/identify with, and others I disagree with. But that's being human, I suppose. I have not met another ISFP(that I know of), and so I know I am unique compared to those I I am acquainted with. On the other hand, it can get annoying when you are trying to talk to a different type, and they don't get your point of view at all.

·
Registered
312 Posts
I see it as just a bit of fun. Doesn't really bother me, but I have friends who have a strong distaste for it.

·
Registered
290 Posts
I mean I think you can end up talking yourself in loops if you're so "individualistic" that you won't even acknowledge "individualistic" as a label/category of person.

But if there's one thing I've learned about the MBTI it's that it doesn't work - for me anyway - to take it very seriously. Some days it helps me make sense of myself, other days it's best ignored.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts