Personality Cafe banner

1 - 20 of 80 Posts

·
Registered
629 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm interested to know, for those who are willing to share-

How old are the INFJs on these forums?

It seems to me that most of the INFJs on here possess that old-soul wisdom that is typical of the type, causing most of the comments on these threads to sound rather mature, in comparison to some of the other types, it seems.

In addition to that question, I'd also be interested to know- have you been consistently considered "mature" for your age throughout life?
Around the age of 14, a therapist told me that she perceived me to be a highly intuitive person and somewhat of an "old soul." I hadn't the slightest idea what she was talking about then, but now am more aware of that quality in myself, as well as in other INFJs.
Looking back on it, I recognize it in myself even as a young child- I always felt older and more aware than the majority of my peers. I consistently tried to "stoop down" to their level (for lack of a less-offensive term) and become more age-appropriate, but found it difficult.

Can other INFJs identify with that quality? And if so, why do you think that is?

·
Registered
1,292 Posts
I am 23

Yes, very much so, numerous people have actually called me an old soul. All through my life people have called me mature if not mature quiet which sometimes came off as mature in some ways. In my younger years I was just infinitely quiet and was not childlike in the least.

·
Banned
7,289 Posts
Can other INFJs identify with that quality? And if so, why do you think that is?
Yes. I'm not sure why.

I could probably make an argument that ties it into MBTI, but on the other hand, maybe we are old souls?

But honestly, I'm a lot like a kid at the same time. My serous side just make me seem old.

·
Registered
1,803 Posts
(this is me and I might be weird)

Not throughout my life. I've been immature at times when I was younger. Someone might say I'm level headed when really my mind is going haywire. Only until I was around 17 did I ever hear someone call me mature or "wise." Before that I was probably just more reserved and watched people act dumb. I was more random and weird than immature though. When it came to talking to adults though, some of them called me mature from a young age like 10 maybe. I am currently in my 20s. I don't know how mature I seem online. Sometimes I feel immature. I also tend to write on here in a more academic way just because I like to think more when I write.

·
Registered
32 Posts
I'm interested to know, for those who are willing to share-

How old are the INFJs on these forums?

It seems to me that most of the INFJs on here possess that old-soul wisdom that is typical of the type, causing most of the comments on these threads to sound rather mature, in comparison to some of the other types, it seems.

In addition to that question, I'd also be interested to know- have you been consistently considered "mature" for your age throughout life?
Around the age of 14, a therapist told me that she perceived me to be a highly intuitive person and somewhat of an "old soul." I hadn't the slightest idea what she was talking about then, but now am more aware of that quality in myself, as well as in other INFJs.
Looking back on it, I recognize it in myself even as a young child- I always felt older and more aware than the majority of my peers. I consistently tried to "stoop down" to their level (for lack of a less-offensive term) and become more age-appropriate, but found it difficult.

Yes. My professor called me an old soul when I confided in her how I had a hard time relating to people my age (early 20s). She told me that that would get easier as I got older. We'll see.

·
Registered
397 Posts
I've always felt the same growing up. I distinctly remember a time when I was 7 or 8 when I climbed on our deck in the backyard and just stood there looking out into the world for hours. It was kinda cold out, but I had this feeling of meditative awareness. For lack of a better way to put it, I knew I was different.

I was pretty depressed in middle school though, because it was around that time kids started being rather ridiculous. You know, the game of trying to act older and going out with other kids for popularity or what not. I definitely still felt like a kid, but I think the mass throwaway of innocence and inability to connect to other kids my age devastated me. So I was pretty much on the internet since I was 12, interacting with people much older than me who thought I was their age. I tried to blend in too around high school but that caused some social awkwardness on my end.

I still get called an "old soul" nowadays but I think the more I get older the more I'll hit equilibrium at some point.

Oh, I'm 20 and consider myself ENTP by the way. As for why? High Ni? Who knows.

·
Registered
1,426 Posts
From as early as five until the age of 12, I was more magnetic, quiet, eager to please and well-mannered which was always surprising to female friends of my mother's, relatives, teachers, etc.
I began questioning things after 12 years of age, and understood there was a sharp contrast between the people I had gone to school with for years and myself. There was a definite disconnect; where others were eager to understand the how of adolescence and who to blend with, I continually asked why. I confided in my INTJ father, who kept nodding and encouraging me to broaden my mind. I showed signs of heightened self-awareness that he himself experienced in high school, which set him apart and resulted in mixed reactions from friends his own age.
I would spend hours writing snippets of poetry and narrative paragraphs while listening to music. I did this for a few years.
For the longest time, a cellphone was only meant for two people: my parents. Few people called though I got along with everyone.
I started garnering notice for having a knack at counseling/advising. One of my best friend's and I decided I had to be around 30 mentally by the time we were freshmen.
I've simply continued with a dual-age ever since. I still ask the tough questions, uncover countless possibilities to each situation and get along wonderfully with adults and since being a college student, have found other "old-souls": one a vivacious mother of two very successful sons, who even in her fifties has the pep in her step that would shame many in my generation and another friend who, even at 25, has traveled plenty, been in the military and celebrates how little she has in common with people her own age. We're out there, old-souls, and I suspect we have a soul-radar for one another.
One friendship I'll always value is one I have with my best friend's mom, a wonderful ESFJ. She actually celebrated my 20th with me during a time where there was some family difficulty going on, and we spent the evening discussing anything and everything.
She said, it was her time to spend with a "daughter-friend" and my time to spend with a "mother-friend".
It's difficult to explain, because I'm easily discouraged by the intense awareness of how very little I know and have yet to learn. However, a high self-awareness and strong sense of self are two things that developed early and have since fluctuated with each new life experience; that is where the dual-age comes from and understanding deepens the more carefully I seek knowledge. I do think, at one point, there is a reversal though; there is a time where you even out with your physical age (reach an equilibrium?) but then betray a youthfulness that should have been more evident at the "right" time. I like to think we have biological clocks that were fashioned in Wonderland for us! :wink:
It's startling, flattering and inspires pride when one's insights (when honest and well thought out) are valued, and age is not a main concern. In other words, when you speak the language, the issue of age, gender, etc. is debunked because wisdom has a particular voice; people may stare strangely, be startled but because it's like being startled awake. Wisdom blares, however quiet, and drowns out all other noise.
It's incredible when you find those who listen and offer validation that, regardless of how young you are, you have wisdom.
That's a credit to my parents, really, and I'm grateful to them for who I am.

·
Registered
709 Posts
My Dad has always told me that I have been mature for my age, even when I was a little kid. I can't recall many specific experiences of it in action when I was younger, save maybe a few comments from other adults saying similar things. I was always that one kid who was a year younger than the rest in each grade as well, so no doubt that pushed me to act older in order to fit in.

It was most apparent in high school, in retrospect. I never felt as if I appreciated the humor, rebellion, or general culture of my age group. Being driven to succeed academically (like applying for the college I am currently attending at the beginning of Junior/11th year) widened the gap. It wasn't as if I felt smarter, I was just.... out of my element.

Fast-forward, college leveled the playing field quite a bit, but there are still times I pause and wonder "Why is that funny?" or "Why do my friends do that?" As for my actual age? 20, college senior.

Why?.... Not sure. As a few mentioned, perhaps it's N's doing. I have an ENFJ friend whom I also get the 'old soul' impression from, in a more playful way.

·
Registered
16 Posts
YES! I've had many people tell me I have an old soul.

I'd imagine it's a part of our emotional intuition that leads us to have profound connections with people. Even psychic seemingly.
We also seem to have a way with words - our medium of portraying our contemplative centre is language, which may be contrived as a signal of emotional or spiritual maturity in that ability to connect and communicate.

·
Registered
162 Posts
BAH.. I'm a sparkly vampire who just can't seem to die already. :mellow:

....:laughing:

But on a more serious note, I'd say I'm rather child-like on a normal day-to-day basis.

But if a situation or a person cares to know more about my thoughts, I don't mind telling them. Be it advice or my own personal philosophy. I tend to keep these sort of thoughts, feelings, and revelations to myself though, only really telling my closest friends or the people who genuinely want to know.

But it seems that when I do let people know, they tend to think that my thoughts are rather mature for my age, or from such a different perspective that many others wouldn't normally consider. Or those older than me will agree with what I say.

1 - 20 of 80 Posts