Personality Cafe banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
3,338 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just wondering I am trying to decipher my type. I like a clean house but hate cleaning. I find it boring and am one of those types who doesn't make my bed bc there is really no point. The only time I really clean is if I'm expecting company. Not just tidy up but scrub toilets and stuff...

Im also pretty lazy and if I were payed to procrastinate, I would be a millionaire. Is this because of how I was raised? My mother never kept a clean house so I'm perfectly content with a dirty dish or two in the sink and some clutter around the house.

·
Registered
9,017 Posts
I like to think of myself as an INFJ. My parents kept a tidy house, but just like you I don't mind a little clutter. Still, it would be more accurate to stay that I clean in bursts. I won't clean for some time and then, when I get to it - I clean and scrub everything until all is done - and time's a-wasted.

·
Registered
1,174 Posts
Can't be arsed. I clean once a year, but last year I was too busy. :tongue: Anyhow, people have brought up topics like this before in order to determine their type. It's really not the way to go though. Look at the functions, not stereotypes like 'J's are neat and organised'. The J only means that the T or F in our type code is an extraverted function (i.e., I 'use' Fe and not Fi).

I'm personally hyper-organized (e.g. I haven't been late to anything in over 15 years, and I'm 24 now). On the Big Five tests I normally score 95%+ on the 'Organized' dimension. The other 5% is stuff like cleaning. I simply don't care that much about what my external environment looks like, as long as it's comfortable. And really, what do you expect from an inferior Se type?

·
Registered
710 Posts
I like it clean but I don't mind some clutter too much...I clean when I feel like it, there's no schedule...when stuff starts looking a little too messy/dirty for my liking I fix it...

it's always fairly presentably ... there's never clothes/trash all over the place....if someone was to come in right now...they'd probably find it average...

I do know that I need to vacuum and take the trash out....and my husbands got a pile of mail he needs to sort out but other than that...it's pretty clean

·
Registered
544 Posts
I like it when my apartment has that awesome, "sparse" (for me), look-at-me-I-just-cleaned look. That lasts for maybe a week, then it goes right back to being the cluttered wreck it was. I'm doing good if I manage to keep the coffee table and counter pretty clear and remember to scrub everything down every month or so.

I hate cleaning, though. I really hate it. Which is stupid, seeing as I can get everything done in a couple of hours. I just hate being arsed to do it.

One day, I'll have a droid to do all of this for me. Could be like the Sims Servo robot. :D

·
Registered
1,164 Posts
I have a simple system for my clothes. When I need something to wear, I take it out of the "clean" hamper. When something is dirty, it goes in the "dirty" hamper. Aside from that, I have a pile of books that I've read and a pile of books that I have not and I dust my PC once every other Saturday. My living space looks cluttered to the naked eye but I have a system and it works for me. I've always preferred tighter spaces to open ones so I guess that might have something to do with my habits.

All in all however, I don't suppose I like to keep things "clean" but I couldn't function the same without this odd system. I know where everything is and where it should be.

·
Registered
710 Posts
I have a simple system for my clothes. When I need something to wear, I take it out of the "clean" hamper. When something is dirty, it goes in the "dirty" hamper. Aside from that, I have a pile of books that I've read and a pile of books that I have not and I dust my PC once every other Saturday. My living space looks cluttered to the naked eye but I have a system and it works for me. I've always preferred tighter spaces to open ones so I guess that might have something to do with my habits.

All in all however, I don't suppose I like to keep things "clean" but I couldn't function the same without this odd system. I know where everything is and where it should be.

I did the same thing with my clothes when I was in high school
.....I probably would still do that if people didn't complain about me not using the dresser....so yeah clean stuff now goes in dresser >.>

·
Registered
3,487 Posts
I'm pretty minimalist. There aren't large numbers of ornaments, knick-knacks and curios in the house. I find cleaning very therapeutic, the process of rejuvenating something and getting it back to its best. I could easily be a professional cleaner and have often thought of doing it as a job!

·
MOTM October 2013
6,445 Posts
Cleanliness or procrastination doesn't really define J vs. P. You have to look into your cognitive functions. Are you more of a forward thinker, or more of a champion of feelings? Are you better at deciphering your own feelings, or deciphering the feelings of others with a big blind spot over your own?

Anyway, I run hot and cold with cleaning. I like to be very precise about it, make everything shiny and make sure there's absolutely no spots on the counters or floors. But...I also can only be bothered to do it every once in a while... :tongue: So I think it pans out to about average cleanliness

I like taking a long time to fold my clothes after drying them, though. It's somehow very calming to work out all the wrinkles by smoothing them with my hands, and getting all the hems and things lined up just right.

·
Registered
3,156 Posts
I'm pretty minimalist. There aren't large numbers of ornaments, knick-knacks and curios in the house. I find cleaning very therapeutic, the process of rejuvenating something and getting it back to its best. I could easily be a professional cleaner and have often thought of doing it as a job!
This pretty much described me, no pictures, no knick-knacks, usually a desk and bed, maybe a table, chairs and a sofa (and kitchen stuff, all neatly put away. I have always lived a rather Spartan existence (though have never kicked a Persian messenger down a well). I consider myself to be rather neat and keep a pretty clean, tidy dwelling. Like some of the INFJ descriptions, I do, however usually have one cluttered closet full of accumulated junk that I do not use but for some reason have likewise not discarded or sorted. Clutter drives me absolutely insane, even the thought of the stuff in the closet which I cannot even see. I recently solved the closet issue by giving away everything I own, save for my backpack and some clothes. I do not foresee myself purchasing anything in the near (and far) future that will not fit in my backpack. The place I live in now has no closet space, and the owner left some things there that I do not need, so these items are piled into a pile in the corner of one of the two rooms.

The military further reinforced my cleanliness with six weeks of basic training, followed by a year and a half long tech school. I also find cleaning rather therapeutic and have likewise considered cleaning professionally, and several jobs I have held involved such work. That said, I do not clean the entire mud hut everyday, but there are rarely dirty dishes in the sink and the floor is generally swept.

All that said, I have nothing on my ISFJ aunt (tested, confirmed). Her house gleams, and is full of antiques and nice things. I am generally afraid to sit on anything at her house.

·
Fu Dominant
10,720 Posts
Do I have a clean home? Yes. Do I like to clean it. No. :dry:

Reactions: Bamalam

·
Registered
2,156 Posts
I don't clean much either. And I am the same about never making my bed. My family was also a little messy when I was growing up. I'm not sure if that's a good way to determine type though. Seems more like a personal preference to me.

·
Registered
392 Posts
I like a clean house, but I'm pretty lazy and don't mind certain clutter. However, if I do decide to clean, especially when I notice that the place begins to look more messy than I'd like, I go all out and end up cleaning whatever I can, making sure it looks exactly how I want.

·
Registered
18 Posts
I like a clean space for living, but at the same time I can be bad about not noticing clutter. I tend to be somewhat oblivious of my surroundings so clutter doesn't always get removed quickly and can pile up if I'm not making a conscious effort to notice and take care of it. :frustrating: I do like cleaning though. I find it relaxing. :proud:

·
Registered
♂️ INFJ 5w4 // IEI-Ni
3,857 Posts
I actually think that stereotype can be quite the opposite. INFJs have inferior external sensing and hate monotony, so engaging with physical chores like cleaning can be the last thing one wants to do with their time. Much rather focusing on Ni-dominant or Fe activities. Mess can begin to pile up if an INFJ loses focus on the present-external world.

Ideally yes, I do like tidy and organized spaces and I try to keep things reasonably neat, but I'm usually too 'busy' (lazy) to clean. :\

1 - 20 of 33 Posts