Personality Cafe banner

1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Banned
2,078 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
--that claim to define your psyche for you, or divinate and tell you how to live your life in a superstitious manner: Astrology, moleology, rumpology, tarot, etc.

I don't think actual religions count...
o_O

·
Registered
182 Posts
Yes because its more interesting than conventional factual reality base stuff. Its boring to be honest, but I am not crazy about it. I do take those things with a grain of salt, but its like better listing to it than that technical stuff. I mean numerology out of those all does have a match for me for instance, but like I said I don't live on it.

·
Banned
2,078 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I agree.
Numerology is most accurate for me as well. Because it's simple and there aren't excuses on top of excuses for every little thing (as there are in astrology).
Astrology is full of so many types of charts and theories and types of zodiacs and every pole (N/W/E/S) wants their own form of astrology to claim. lmao. For all I know half the astrology stuff can be from some random rich dude who got his shit published and really has no or psuedo credibility and then some Astro loonies followed him.

·
Banned
2,078 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Well, if you consider the science behind the show "lie to me" as pseudo science. Then yes I do.

YouTube - Lie To Me opening theme - Music - Ryan Star - Brand New Day
I saw the commercials for that TV show last year but I've never seen it air? Or I think I did see the first episode. I forgot all about it, so it must not be doing too good with the ratings ?
lol

That's in between psuedo science and science, I think most people would probably say.
I don't really know though, lol.

·
Registered
431 Posts
I think some are fun to learn and think about, but then I can never take anything like that seriously because after all it's false science... then again I don't take real science seriously either...

·
Registered
2,134 Posts
I just did some numerology test and it is pretty accurate with my life path being number 11, my destiny being number 3 and my last year's path, this year's path and next year's path. I do not fully agree with my soul urge being number 1 though.

My brother recently bought tarot cards and a book with info on it and I do enjoy it, just because it makes you think and eventually discuss.

·
Banned
2,078 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I only divulge in mbti. That's really the only pseudo science I like to contemplate. Any other makes me want to gauge my eyes out.

Oh and raindbows... you've created 16 threads in one day. U trollin'? :bored:
Yes, for you. :angry:

·
Banned
2,078 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I just did some numerology test and it is pretty accurate with my life path being number 11, my destiny being number 3 and my last year's path, this year's path and next year's path. I do not fully agree with my soul urge being number 1 though.

My brother recently bought tarot cards and a book with info on it and I do enjoy it, just because it makes you think and eventually discuss.
All of numerology seemed to predict my life course well, except the soul urge, as well. Strange.

·
Registered
1,191 Posts
--that claim to define your psyche for you, or divinate and tell you how to live your life in a superstitious manner: Astrology, moleology, rumpology, tarot, etc.

I don't think actual religions count...
o_O
I am into all that stuff: occult, esoterica, (eastern) psychology, mysticism etc. Not necissairly because I believe it but because it is interesting.

·
Registered
112 Posts
The word pseudo-science is totally a slight against all the things it tries to describe. As if science is the only correct way to explain the universe, and everything else is just faking it. I would say that i'm very interested in varied points of view, whether or not they're "objective". Science admits to an infinitesimally small understanding, yet still claims to be able to disprove theories about subjects that we've barely scratched the surface of.

In summary, believe what you want, but please don't use the word pseudo-science! :crazy:

·
MOTM Dec 2011
8,651 Posts
MBTI and enneagram are the closest I get to pseudo-science, and I feel their theories are pretty well thought-out, even of not provable by a scientific method. The other stuff is too cheesy for me.

·
Banned
2,078 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
The word pseudo-science is totally a slight against all the things it tries to describe. As if science is the only correct way to explain the universe, and everything else is just faking it. I would say that i'm very interested in varied points of view, whether or not they're "objective". Science admits to an infinitesimally small understanding, yet still claims to be able to disprove theories about subjects that we've barely scratched the surface of.

In summary, believe what you want, but please don't use the word pseudo-science! :crazy:
i did not know how else to group these sorts of beliefs. so i had to go with psuedo science, as what a scientist might call them.

·
Registered
616 Posts
I'm pagan, you could say I'm into the pseudo-sciences.

I find most people who write them off tend to take them very literally, and misinterpret what they actuallydo. Divination, for example. People associate it with fortune-tellers and frauds, not realizing that divination is a tool to strengthen our intuition. Things like crystal balls, Tarot cards, black mirrors - they aren't these magical levitating objects. I'm not looking into them and pretending I'm Harry Potter. They're more like meditation tools.

Most people I explain this to still think it's a load of guff, but they're my beliefs and they serve me well. :)

·
Banned
1,987 Posts
lol, hopefully not. The vast majority of psuedo-science has huge logical gaps in its thinking.

But I do enjoy MBTI, if that's what you are asking. It might be bunk, but I really don't care, because it is just a way to meet people and think about yourself & others really.

·
Registered
1,151 Posts
I tend to think there's probably a grain of psychological truth to some of them, long lost in the piles of silly details surrounding them. Some of them sound like metaphors for mental states, misapplied to some mystical force or energy. A lot of them escape me completely because they sound like they were pulled from thin air. I can't really get specific, because I don't look into them. I like MB because it never claims anything more than 'people think differently' and tries to define that idea. Psychology is largely pseudo science anyway, since we are so young into the field. Neuroscience is a huge leap, but there's a realm of subjective experience we have yet to be able to properly quantify and observe as is necessary for a 'proper' science.

·
Registered
616 Posts
I tend to think there's probably a grain of psychological truth to some of them, long lost in the piles of silly details surrounding them.
That's a good way of putting it.

Portrayal of new age beliefs in the media doesn't help any.

1 - 20 of 38 Posts